[✗] The Ymbyrn

TavernLich

cooltext206632771006168.png

uBnYWU9insUu-u1sXRmmMJyh_bWtdE9A7jkW6f8y-Xx9lNFRtUorCI6l-c336dXUTP0lQHi28riKb4XEgJy1aqO7oAw_Nhxmj0A-hWo7cIgT8L3iVLFMoSYk-Nk7fHujbjG2lpRl

“To those naysayers I admonish: the Undoing has long since given rise to such insidious fiends, I beseech you to be wary.” - The Beknownst

-=O=-

jiSDzdMk6xfyC6N3u-G-LGirykTW6J2Ouuu8WJ5O52ZSw1VY52meNaEuxnrsI2iw7zTQnyNpvfzgAQA5UcU9IZjRVndqE6nCjX9dAvBCvF3kNg5i9rzBtkYMq_LrouH0q2G9eqph

Since Her dominion over the Ebrietaes, Aerial’s coveted realm was primed to expire. Souls swept the plane by the thousands; there they are reaped, judged and either damned to roam the Ebrietaes limbo or dealt to a pantheon of deities. Eventually, that cup will overflow and water will spill down its rim. The daemon Apohet’s tamperings only served to hasten that inevitable spill. Once his plane, the infinitely distant spirit realm, was erected, so, too, was Aeriel’s woes. Now, there was no longer a singular, uncontested route to Death. Such a rivalry rendered the Ebrietaes unsound, it set forth an elaborate course of events that ravaged the Ebrietaes’ lands. Slowly, what was once inescapable, was for a moment made weak and faulty.

The emaciated souls that roamed the Ebrietaes’ barren pastures clawed for freedom. Those who reigned above others were at an advantage. The weak and beaten were made stepping stools for the strong and potent. This upper echelon tore at each others’ throats. Their chance for freedom was slipping through their fingers. Alas, after such an endeavor few escaped the shackles of the Ebrietaes; those that did did not leave unscathed.

Weakened and forever scarred, these malignant souls wander the realm. They act as parasites, desperate in their lust to feel human once again.

-=O=-

9_jg4IlDWlKNZ-3qlDG2Gdryl30VYPIR42qbqpsQ4nf3y_LJRUwyWmlTcc0CB5er8ObRVxziXNJv9dxNqlqmB9_Ge9j4Z-0feyj0AeyHxGE_yDzEXgOUtOFvN7tyxr5EizpuMAAM

Ymbryn are the manifestations of Ebrietaes’ lost souls. Their ranks are largely composed of souls seeking to feel human again. They long to feel as we do and walk as we do. Fortunately, such depravity has resulted in the adaption of multiple abilities, many of which are necessary components of their plan to further fulfill their new found undeath.

A majority of wights have existed as wanderers of the Ebrietaes; many having been marooned in its barren lands for nigh millenia. Upon their return to the descendent realm, they are manifest as invisible humanoid entities largely unable to interact with the physical plane and detached from their once mortal selves. They lack instinct, a vast array of emotions and a conscience. Ymbryns dislike this hollowness, they view it as a defect of their deliverance from the Ebrietaes, and they desire to walk amongst mortals once again. To facilitate this need, they’ve learned to synthesize crude human aspects, such as hunger and lust and even fear, by purloining these passions from descendents. As they regain their spiritual and mental selves, their physical bodies, too, are made manifest once again. While donning this body, ymbryns gain further access to their newfound abilities and vulnerabilities; they may now feel the sting of the blade, both aurum and ferrum, as it pierces their flesh but are now capable of interacting with the physical plane as much as any other man or woman.

-=O=-

EfcA2Phs7pdSM0mrVAdKrO8mw2sPonPELKvdWUI_8mulUSokAsTOSDtkgpdvNzW2yYsD4KV8XihwbOtXDmYs6Wp7Zbp33sFsbK7I-49bFNiFImGFHwvGSs29PfhdHQE4ZBNOU6WX

Ymbryns harbor dual physiologies; the first being an invisible entity largely incapable of physically interacting with others and the latter being a physical form much akin to a mortal body. While trapped in their incorporeal state of being, wights are restricted to whispers and a select and limited array of abilities. In this form, they are invulnerable to all manner of assault. They may not be harmed by both magic and blade, with the exception of deific arts and aurum weaponry. Their physical form, however, is vulnerable to all manner of harm. For all intents and purposes, they are psuedo-descendents. They may be harmed by both mundane and immundane means. Fortunately, these detriments come with various boons. While donning their physical bodies, ymbryns may wield both magicka, excluding the deific arts for obvious reasons, and the sword. Unfortunately, their physical bodies are not exempt from the consequences of magicka. Their strength may still wane and their minds may falter. The appearance of their bodies are identical to those they possessed prior to their demise.

-=O=-

pZFv4ptlS6zgF0IyHlIjaVEJl2iOhBd7JKN4gAXmi3UJxOaTQCfsTIA4VNlSSkL1a1Z_oCveCyVE2i24KxqBh8ZyX5e78yXHYC0KbHPfVBl_o4XSwtiHss3Ayq5hwstCGF9laqag

Creation & Use of Synthesized Mortal Aspects - By simply lingering within the presence of mortals, Ymbryn may mimic and temporarily synthesize mortal emotions and sensations. Those caught within a wight’s radius, will feel their emotions dulled; their rage may subside and their love for something may temporarily waver. These aspects are short-lived, wights must continue to linger amongst humans in order to regain, or maintain, their physical bodies.

Familiarity with the Dead - As former denizens of the Ebrietaes, ymbryns are accustomed to the presence of other spectral entities. They may physically see, touch and, even, combat lesser spectrals, including poltergeists. Still, while a ymbryn is sporting its mortal body, ghouls and their ilk still see a potential meal in them.

Innate Magicka - Ymbryns harbor their own form of magicka exclusive to their kind. This includes an affinity toward the shadows; they may take the form of shadows, weaving in and out the darkness like phantoms of the night. However, their powers are not without faults. They may slip in and out of the shadows on a whim, with little expenditure of energy, granted there is sufficient light. Without light, they may neither enter nor exit the shadows.

Finite Manipulation of Aura - For whatever reason, ymbryns are able to expertly manifest their auras in a vaporous and potentially visible form, should they deem it appropriate. Despite their grotesque origins, wights do not harbor inherently malevolent auras. These conjurations are not deadly, however; ymbryns simply use this to commune with those nearby, often projecting emotions in order to warn or signal other wights.

Red Lines

• Purloining mortal aspects from descendants is a temporary fix and ailment. A descendant’s emotions will shortly return after leaving the ymbryn’s radius, that being a modest twenty meters.

• Although wights may touch and see lesser spectrals, they still require the proper tools necessary to banish or slay one such spectral (i.e. aurum).

• Innate Magicka requires two emotes, the first being preparation and the latter being the use of the ability.

• Limbs or any other materials may not be projected while a ymbryn is integrated within the shadows; this prevents ymbryns from attacking people while invulnerable. Their body must exit the shadows entirely before they may strike.

• Aura may not be manipulated to the degree of a shade; specifically, it can not be made tangent and used as metallic tendrils. Auras are simply used to commune with others, including other ymbryns, via projecting emotions in the form of their aura, which reaches a maximum of a hundred meters. Such powers require three emotes: preparation, creation and projection.

Roleplay Examples:

Creation & Use of Synthesized Mortal Aspects: As a euphoric John stumbled into the ramshackled inn, he felt an invisible presence nip at his shoulders. A chill ran down his spine as he felt the hair on his arms stand up. His euphoria slowly began to fade, his thoughts cleared and he looked around, now somewhat bored and uninterested. A pale-faced wench, whom stood in the opposing corner of his seat, began to grin. A rosey pink hue began to permeate her face as John’s continued to grow paler. He stood up in surprise and instinctively exited the inn. Within minutes, his euphoria returned and John resumed stumbling around as if returned to his previous stupor.

Innate Magicka: Bartimaeus sauntered down the alleyway on his usual, orderly route. For whatever reason, the baying of hounds filled the city air that night. Each step he took down that moist, cobbled nook the sounds grew louder. Upon reaching a lamplight, his favored half-way point, Bartimaeus felt the ground tremble beneath him. A mass of frothing hounds arrived from the shadows and bared their teeth. Bartimaeus took a single step back, hands readily raised skyward as a gesture of passiveness, and stepped into the lamplight. As the hounds advanced, Bartimaeus’ frame suddenly collapsed. The man was nowhere to be found and a shadow stood in his place, plastered and stretched across the ground as if any other shadow. The baffled hounds eventually gave up, scouring the city for another victim. Upon their departure, the shadow finally stirred. It’s limbs flickered before it shot up into the air and quickly took the shape of a disgruntled Bartimaeus.

Finite Manipulation of Aura: As a wary Bartimaeus entered his home he came to a sudden and rather less-than-graceful pause. An ivory fog had suddenly appeared within his apartment, manifest with various lights and hums. Bartimaeus is slammed with a sense of danger and fear, something wicked came his way and he quickly faded into the shadows, hastily retreating into the night.

-=O=-

gHY7bfC2x3-Mam6OnGrL8nhuCFDyjHnAhgpNtETZMMuX1h9aGkI_M7RoBYAkxDRXxrDK8NcKf5wHKU-HA_0fuah5MycJMLmp5nqOqjA_uvY5kJcuziSwWne1TewdVw75Vua3VqFB

As previously stated, ymbryns are neither inherently good nor evil. However, they do lack a conscience and basic mortal qualities. Their time within the Ebrietaes has rendered them inhuman, even. As such, they lust to feel human again. They want to feel hungry, feel the pulse of pain and, even, fear. To do this, they synthesize temporary mortal aspects and use those to fuel their cherished mortality, and since such a thing is ephemeral they’ve a need to persistently repeat this process.

Ebrietaes lore here. Credit: Swgrclan

Wights exist already?

Just now, Ang said:

Wights exist already?

I am under the impression they don't. There were, or was, a singular wight a while back. But that lore was denied, was it not?

Just now, Redxophos said:

I am under the impression they don't. There were, or was, a singular wight a while back. But that lore was denied, was it not?

Wights exist under Mysticism.

I am pretty sure they exist already. Yeah.

They do indeed exist, though are different

You didn't change all the 'wights' to ymbrynyngnmemendn whatever that word is. I still see a lot of 'Wight' in there. Otherwise, this lore seems similar to Katari's in terms of how it dulls emotions. Any comments on that? Also, what do you believe these creatures will add to RP? We already have an accepted creature that is essentially quite similar to this. Currently, only one person RPs it. How does this provide anything better?

3 hours ago, Mephistophelian said:

You didn't change all the 'wights' to ymbrynyngnmemendn whatever that word is. I still see a lot of 'Wight' in there. Otherwise, this lore seems similar to Katari's in terms of how it dulls emotions. Any comments on that? Also, what do you believe these creatures will add to RP? We already have an accepted creature that is essentially quite similar to this. Currently, only one person RPs it. How does this provide anything better?

I’ve no comments to make about the similarities between this lore and katari’s other than the fact that it’s pretty awkward. As for their contribution to RP, I think there’s potential here and there; specifically, their ability to see and combat ghosts creates some potential conflict RP and of course there is that internal conflict between their immoral selves and their newfound mortality (and conscience). Anyway, I’ve no knowledge of similar existing creatures. Care to show me?

I’ve no comments to make about the similarities between this lore and katari’s other than the fact that it’s pretty awkward. As for their contribution to RP, I think there’s potential here and there; specifically, their ability to see and combat ghosts creates some potential conflict RP and of course there is that internal conflict between their immoral selves and their newfound mortality (and conscience). Anyway, I’ve no knowledge of similar existing creatures. Care to show me?

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/147088-playable-creature-matumdâg/

The theme is similar, though these ones have even more purpose than yours (my opinion) as they seek out people to do stuff to instead of merely existing.

Just now, Mephistophelian said:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/147088-playable-creature-matumdâg/

The theme is similar, though these ones have even more purpose than yours (my opinion) as they seek out people to do stuff to instead of merely existing.

As the sole writer of the Ymbryn lore, I see very little similarities between the two other than their deliverance into the mortal realm being dependent on the creation of a separate afterlife. And, in contrast with your opinion, the Ymbryn do seek out people. In fact, an entire portion of the piece was devoted to explaining their lust to feel human again; something that can only be accomplished by staying within the presence of descendants. 

Denied. Very similar to most spectral beings on the server. I'd suggest trying to make something that cause it to differ, should you try to submit this lore again.