The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Vaynth

Settlement Guides Additions and Overhaul

11 posts in this topic

Hail LoTC community!

I have been going over ideas of different ways the Application Team can better assist newly fledged players along once they enter the server. An issue we've had is that AT members aren't always familiar with every active settlement, making it difficult to choose which area a persona might fit into well as well as directing them there in-game. I have formed a potential solution, but I'll need the help of every role-play group to make it work smoothly. If you'd like your settlement to be promoted by the AT, this might interest you!

Image result for fancy transparent line divider

Settlement Guides Additions and Overhaul:

Recently I've stumbled upon @Harrison's past Settlement Guide project; The general gist of it is for the nation/group leader (or whoever the leader assigns to do this) to create a short and easy-to-follow guide to their settlement. This would include directions to the location as well as a description that lets us as well as the new players know which races are welcomed, the culture, and things to look out for within the area.

I urge every settlement to write out their own guide using the given format. If your settlement already has a guide within this sub-forum, I am giving the OP of each current thread two weeks to let me know if their guide is up-to-date! If I am not contacted back in that time, their guide may be subject to being archived (and will be revived with request). I will be checking in every month or so to make sure things stay current. 

Format and link to sub-forum in the spoiler below:

Image result for fancy transparent line divider

Utilizing Guides in Standard AT Tasks:

Once my managers and I feel there are a suitable amount of guides to choose from, it will become mandatory for my team members to read through them and learn a little about the settlements they'll be promoting. They will have to use their common sense to give the new players a few options on settlements they may be interested in joining. Following this, the AT going over their accepted application will link the guides to their suggested settlement(s) as well as offer assistance in getting them there. Putting @ski_king3's activity project to use, we will be able to lead new players to active settlements rather than mindlessly directing them to empty places on the map.

First woot woot good **** 

nice job stealing my idea idiot get reported

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

nice job stealing my idea idiot get reported

get me removed pls do it

6 minutes ago, Vaynth said:

An issue we've had is that AT members aren't always familiar with every active settlement, making it difficult to choose which area a persona might fit into

6 minutes ago, Vaynth said:

They will have to use their common sense to give the new players a few options on settlements they may be interested in joining.

This, in my point of view, sounds overall terribly bad, since it opens room for AT bias. This means that an AT affiliated with Oren, for example, could direct someone to Adelsburg if said person applied as a human instead of any other settlement. There's also Veris or Sutica that also accept humans and everything; can't people just call them in?

Nothing will happens, of course, to orcs, but imagine a dwarf; where to direct the new player to,

Frostbeards or Dwarf Capital?

Norland or Adelsburg?

My suggestion is that the settlement guides are linked together with the application, so there can be no bias by the part of the AT. Albeit one or two people might not be biased, maybe you're not biased, but a good majority will; and you can't stop this.

2 minutes ago, Man of Respect said:

-snip-

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Honestly it could work either way. There's a reason I said they will give the new players a few different suggestions rather than one and let them choose which one sounds best to them. The reason I want the AT to help them out is to create more interaction between them and the new players rather than solely linking them to a subforum they may or may not read through. In addition, we would be able to better give them an idea of which settlements are actually active.

12 minutes ago, Man of Respect said:

This, in my point of view, sounds overall terribly bad, since it opens room for AT bias. This means that an AT affiliated with Oren, for example, could direct someone to Adelsburg if said person applied as a human instead of any other settlement. There's also Veris or Sutica that also accept humans and everything; can't people just call them in?

Nothing will happens, of course, to orcs, but imagine a dwarf; where to direct the new player to,

Frostbeards or Dwarf Capital?

Norland or Adelsburg?

My suggestion is that the settlement guides are linked together with the application, so there can be no bias by the part of the AT. Albeit one or two people might not be biased, maybe you're not biased, but a good majority will; and you can't stop this.

2 minutes ago, Vaynth said:

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Honestly it could work either way. There's a reason I said they will give the new players a few different suggestions rather than one and let them choose which one sounds best to them. The reason I want the AT to help them out is to create more interaction between them and the new players rather than solely linking them to a subforum they may or may not read through. In addition, we would be able to better give them an idea of which settlements are actually active.

It's not hard to just have managers ask for logs of what AT sent for a few random apps periodically. Just make sure it's sent over a medium where it'll be logged, like forum PMs.

10 days overdue for region activity checks 

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes