Narthok

[Community Review] Raids

Community Review: Raids

Hey y’all a follow up the the Your View: Raids that we did a while back. I’ve finished the tentative rewrite of the proposed addition to the rules. Thus we’ve reached the point where we submit this rewrite to the player base so they can tell us what they like and don’t like about the new proposals. In the event that the feedback is overwhelmingly negative then I’ll have to go back to the drawing board and find something that can meet the standards of both the staff and the community can approve of while still being a productive reform that pushes the server in a better direction.

Before anyone freaks out let me remind you that this is very much not the live version of the raid rules. This is a proposed overhaul to what currently exists. That being said I’d like to take a moment to explain some of my philosophies going into this. Having gathered a large amount of data in the Your View: Raids Poll I tried to apply the gathered data as best as I can. In my eyes there are two overarching schools of thought when it comes to raids and conflict in general. That of the hardcore rpers and that of the mechanical resolutions. In writing this overhaul I really tried to compromise and provide both sides an incentive to participate in raids and such. If you’ll read over the rules you’ll notice that we’ve included a variety of new tools to enable attackers to find success against more fortified areas. We of course have tried to compensate for this by providing defenders with an adequate warning beforehand as well as giving them a number of incentives to log on. In short these rules are designed to heavily reward victory and incentivize participation and interaction. If you are repeatedly losing raids then you will need to look for allies rather than just logging off every five or so days. However if you are repeatedly winning raids as a defender then you can sit comfortably in the understanding that you’ve secured some quiet for a bit and that your rp will not be interrupted for the duration of the cooldown.

There are three things that I see in advance of being extremely contentious to large swathes of the playerbase and therefore I would like to highlight them in advance. As such I would appreciate if players would give their thoughts towards these three portions of the rules in addition to everything else. The first rather radical system that I have proposed introducing to raids is the battering ram. Ie a deployable pseudo siege weapon that would enable attackers to enter cities without exploiting the singular error in five thousand blocks of anti raid walls. No longer will you be able to merely close your gates and avoid interaction with others. These rams do have their associated costs as well as their pros and cons so read over that section and respond with your thoughts. The second area of contention I perceive in advance is the ability for the victors to access / break open chests without rolling. I will remind those of you who are concerned about your pixel possessions that attackers will still need to deploy the /smash or /lockpick commands to break past doors and such. This is something I’d like to observe on live and should we run into issues of 20+ iron door corridors we may have to ennact some prohibitive measures. The final amendment that I see causing issues is the ability to take bodies and heads of those you have killed without the consent of the defeated player. In short you should be trying to win rather than trying not to lose and should the latter be happening frequently you will need to find solutions dynamically through roleplay.

For those seeking to flame me in live chat you are welcome to move to the LOTC Discord #community-review-raids. While those seeking to state more verbose and thought out responses may do so here. I will try not to feedback noted anyone and will be responding to as many of the responses as I can.

And Without Further Ado

The Rewrite

Please just keep raids as they are. They're currently fine. These rules call for over-regulation from the GM Team and nobody wants that. One hour announcements, unlimited caps, and use of battering rams just make them miniature warclaims.

ITT: Career raiders saying how raiding should be easier for them. Settlement defenders saying why it shouldn't.

Every couple of months one of these two sides shouts loud enough that it compels the staff to tweak the raid rules (AGAIN) to maintain the illusion that they're being proactive.

I could not hate these proposed rules more.

1) Keep the current cooldown. Changing cooldown times based on who wins/loses is stupid.

2) Battering rams are stupid. Allowing raiders to bring siege equipment on literally every raid is dumb. Keep them to warclaims.

3) If you pop a person during PVP, you shouldn't be able to capture them. This makes sense realistically too. During a raging melee IRL you would not have total control over who lives and who dies. If you can keep them alive MCly you can capture them, if not, too bad. This capture rule is beyond dumb.

4) No raid cap is asinine. You're essentially turning raids into mini-warclaims and the line between the two is blurred. So a settlement can be raided with any amount of people, and that settlement is ALSO given no notice at all to prepare? Sounds fair.

I don't understand what is currently wrong with the raid rules and why you feel it requires fixing, beyond the screaming of a small group of career raiders who want less rules regulating them.

7 minutes ago, WuHanXianShi14 said:

ITT: Career raiders saying how raiding should be easier for them. Settlement defenders saying why it shouldn't.

Every couple of months one of these two sides shouts loud enough that it compels the staff to tweak the raid rules (AGAIN) to maintain the illusion that they're being proactive.

I could not hate these rules more.

1) Keep the current cooldown. Changing cooldown times based on who wins/loses is stupid.

2) Battering rams are stupid. Allowing raiders to bring siege equipment on literally every raid is dumb. Keep them to warclaims.

3) If you pop a person during PVP, you shouldn't be able to capture them. This makes sense realistically too. During a raging melee IRL you would not have total control over who lives and who dies. If you can keep them alive MCly you can capture them, if not, too bad. This capture rule is beyond dumb.

4) No raid cap is asinine. You're essentially turning raids into mini-warclaims and the line between the two is blurred. So a settlement can be raided with any amount of people, and that settlement is ALSO given no notice at all to prepare? Sounds fair.

I don't understand what is currently wrong with the raid rules and why you feel it requires fixing, beyond the screaming of a small group of career raiders who want less rules regulating them.

You clearly didn't read the rules then buddy. An hour warning is given to defenders Its one of the first things in the document.

Your third point is already a rule in practice serverside as to prevent people from d40ing out of rp and such. Rams are to prevent people from cutting themselves off from the rest of the world and forming insular cliques. They are extremely expensive and can be very easily destroyed. Destroying 1 ram entirely negates any profit raiders could have made. Caps are half the reason why raids are in such a horrible spot. Raids are so restrictive that your only feasible hope of winning is by bringing the best of the best. Rather then allowing all players to participate in conflict content. Back in the fringe every decterum noob had fond memories of being involved in daily pitched battles. Both those defending Dungrimms mouth and attacking it look back fondly. However its not feasible to go all the way back to that. But I'd like to move rules in a direction that prevent content from being locked exclusively to experienced and established players. Lets bump up our content engagement to improve our retention.

Current raids are horrible affairs that have no basis in rp conflict and serve merely to kill a settlements activity for a while. One of your main concerns in the data collection was the fact that even if you win raids there is no value to the defender as they will continue to be harassed. I have tried to provide solutions to reward the defenders for pushing back raiders so they hard rally a singular time rather than every other day to deal with random harassment raid baiting. 

Section 1.0 Raid Procedure

1.1 To initiate a raid the leader of a raiding party must modreq one hour in advance of the raid

1. The handling GM must then provide a warning regional broadcast to the target. The raid will arrive one hour from the broadcast not from the posting of the modreq.

Can we stop relying on staff for every little thing? It's a raid, GMs should only be involved when there's rule breaking. GMs take too long to answer Modreqs as is and the server's bureaucracy is making this place boring. Just do 5-7 man raids with a two day cooldown (sufficient time to recover from pvp ptsd) and keep it simple. I think the addition of battering rams to raids would just further complicate stuff and make raids both a tedious and boring affair.  

3 minutes ago, Shady_DaSneak said:

Section 1.0 Raid Procedure

1.1 To initiate a raid the leader of a raiding party must modreq one hour in advance of the raid

1. The handling GM must then provide a warning regional broadcast to the target. The raid will arrive one hour from the broadcast not from the posting of the modreq.

Can we stop relying on staff for every little thing? It's a raid, GMs should only be involved when there's rule breaking. GMs take quite some time to answer Modreqs as is and the server's bureaucracy is making this place boring. Just do 5-7 man raids with a two day cooldown (sufficient time to recover from pvp ptsd) and keep it simple. I think the addition of battering rams to raids would just further complicate stuff and make raids both a tedious and boring affair.  

I'd be fine with removing the need for GM oversight so long as the hour warning is given. The systems involved herein would be mostly automated as to minimize gm involvement. I still think caps are horrible and would like to see them gone. Raids have become more 'who is off cooldown and who wants to get on and click' rather than 'we have a persistent rp gripe with this faction and will solve it through violence'

All these restrictions and micro-managing for every little thing makes it extremely hard to follow, lacking the ability for creativity and generally boring and not worth the time. I for one haven't lead a raid or even suggested a raid as something to do because of the heap of dull rules and easy possibility of getting banned for doing something minor.

Just now, Narthok said:

You clearly didn't read the rules then buddy. An hour warning is given to defenders Its one of the first things in the document.

Doesn't matter, a raid should not be a mini-warclaim and there should be a cap on the raiders. The current cap is fine.

Your third point is already a rule in practice serverside as to prevent people from d40ing out of rp and such.

Yeah, for purposefully D40ing when someone has kept you alive and intends on capturing you. If you choose to purposefully pop someone during PVP then expect to be able to capture him afterwards, thats absolutely retarded.

They are extremely expensive and can be very easily destroyed.

Lol, no they aren't. 7-15 is nothing and super easy to shell out for any relevant faction. and there should be no siege equipment during raids, period.

Rams are to prevent people from cutting themselves off from the rest of the world and forming insular cliques.

Wow, so that's why people lock themselves behind gates huh, not cause they want a reprieve from constant raids they frankly find no enjoyment in, but because they're elitists in a clique. Gotcha.

Raids are so restrictive that your only feasible hope of winning is by bringing the best of the best. Rather then allowing all players to participate in conflict content.

Its almost as if raids are supposed to be smaller, more contained skirmishes as opposed to big open battles with two nations fighting at full power- we have a thing for the latter- it's called warclaims.

Back in the fringe every decterum noob had fond memories of being involved in daily pitched battles. Both those defending Dungrimms mouth and attacking it look back fondly. However its not feasible to go all the way back to that.

So you're looking at the past with rose tinted goggles and letting it influence how you want to shape the server today.

But I'd like to move rules in a direction that prevent content from being locked exclusively to experienced and established players. Lets bump up our content engagement to improve our retention.

What the hell kind of logic is that, exactly what prevents a group of new players from going on a raid?

Furthermore, you know how many new players are stuck DEFENDING against raids? Its not like they're being sheltered from it all.

Right, its all for the *new players* (lotc's favourite buzzword) but it totally won't be the new players who end up suffering, because it turns out most of them actually want to make roots and establish RP in active settlements instead of going out and becoming career raiders. And these settlements can now effectively be bullied with psuedo-warclaims every 2 days which frankly can be incredibly disruptive to RP and dampen people's desire to log on.

Just now, Fimlin said:

All these restrictions and micro-managing for every little thing makes it extremely hard to follow, lacking the ability for creativity and generally boring and not worth the time. I for one haven't lead a raid or even suggested a raid as something to do because of the heap of dull rules and easy possibility of getting banned for doing something minor.

I've tried to remove as many restrictions as possible. But I don't see any reasonable way in which one can go back to the way things used to be atleast not instantaneously. 

There are many things I agree with, yet also many things I disagree with. I will only address my disagreements in my following posts.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Section 2.0 Raid Mechanics
2.4 Any chest within the confines of the raided settlement may be broken open by the victorious offensive party provided the appropriate destructive emote is provided. Rolling is not required.

Section 4.0 Cooldowns and Caps

4.2 If the aggressors are victorious the settlement’s raid cooldown shall be Forty Eight Hours from the beginning of the raid.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is a BIG problem. If you want to kill a smaller, yet growing settlement that you dislike, this is how you do it.
Continuously raid this settlement every 48 hours because they simply do not have the connections or allies yet to defend themselves. While raiding, get into all their chests and steal EVERYTHING, causing them to have to restart gathering materials and supplies, therefore making it no fun to even try expanding. Not only that, but a raid every two days against a settlement will absolutely kill the rp. Furthermore,  people will not feel safe in keeping their rp items there and won't wish to stay. So if these raid rules are officially added, we've successfully killed every settlement that isn't part of a major nation or empire.

Edited by PosidonX7
fixing my english

3 minutes ago, WuHanXianShi14 said:

Doesn't matter, a raid should not be a mini-warclaim and there should be a cap on the raiders. The current cap is fine.

Yeah, for purposefully D40ing when someone has kept you alive and intends on capturing you. If you choose to purposefully pop someone during PVP then expect to be able to capture him afterwards, thats absolutely retarded.

Lol, no they aren't. 7-15 is nothing and super easy to shell out for any relevant faction. and there should be no siege equipment during raids, period.

Wow, so that's why people lock themselves behind gates huh, not cause they want a reprieve from constant raids they frankly find no enjoyment in, but because they're elitists in a clique. Gotcha.

Its almost as if raids are supposed to be smaller, more contained skirmishes as opposed to big open battles with two nations fighting at full power- we have a thing for the latter- it's called warclaims.

So you're looking at the past with rose tinted goggles and letting it influence how you want to shape the server today.

What the hell kind of logic is that, exactly what prevents a group of new players from going on a raid?

Furthermore, you know how many new players are stuck DEFENDING against raids? Its not like they're being sheltered from it all.

Right, its all for the *new players* (lotc's favourite buzzword) but it totally won't be the new players who end up suffering, because it turns out most of them actually want to make roots and establish RP in active settlements instead of going out and becoming career raiders. And these settlements can now effectively be bullied with psuedo-warclaims every 2 days which frankly can be incredibly disruptive to RP and dampen people's desire to log on.

Hm your first point is actually pretty valid. But what prevents folks from just d40ing before pvp has ended to avoid capture and such? I'd be fine with amending that to not allow folks to be teleported back if they had been executed by raiders. We can agree to disagree on your second point, many historical raids had basic ladders and rams and they'd stop the rather irritating practice of folks just living behind giant **** off walls and not interacting with anyone beyond their own clique. And the reprieve would be the extremely long cooldowns you'd get upon victory? I very much doubt we will see 100+ man rallies for raids but we can all be hyperbolic to prove a point I suppose.  Limited numbers (caps) and a desire to win prevents new players and guards from going on raids. Seems like a pretty logical sequence of thought to me. Nah raids as I've seen them are generally during inconvienient hours and its not unusual for the attackers to outnumber the defenders. 

For your final point, this system encourages such things no? you literally canont raid if you are not part of a settlement or group. And if you are a major settlement incapable of rallying sufficiently to win a single raid every 2 weeks then clearly something is wrong with the manner in which you are administrating your nation. If you are losing every two days then bend the knee, hire some mercs or get allies. Solve problems rply rather than hiding behind ooc bureaucracy. 

12 minutes ago, PosidonX7 said:

There are many things I agree with, yet also many things I disagree with. I will only address my disagreements in my following posts.

Section 2.0 Raid Mechanics
2.4 Any chest within the confines of the raided settlement may be broken open by the victorious offensive party provided the appropriate destructive emote is provided. Rolling is not required.

Section 4.0 Cooldowns and Caps

4.2 If the aggressors are victorious the settlement’s raid cooldown shall be Forty Eight Hours from the beginning of the raid.

This is a BIG problem. If you want to kill a smaller, yet growing settlement that you dislike, this is how you do it.
Continuously raid this settlement every 48 hours because they simply do not have the connections or allies yet to defend themselves. While raiding, get into all their chests and steal EVERYTHING, causing them to have to restart gathering materials and supplies, therefore making it no fun to even try expanding. Not only that, but a raid every two days against a settlement will absolutely kill the rp. Furthermore,  people will not feel safe in keeping their rp items there and won't wish to stay. So if these raid rules are officially added, we've successfully killed every settlement that isn't part of a major nation or empire.

Yep this is intentional, if you want to be an independent group you either have the strength to survive on your own merit or you make appropriate rp solutions to issues. Staff enabling players to hide behind bureaucratic ooc walls to circumvent rp consequences has always felt unfair, anti fun and anti dynamism to me.

Spoiler

I can see this acting as a warning for RPers who heavily dislike raids to just log out and the attackers end up walking into an empty settlement.

Spoiler

1.4 Any individual that is downed during the duration of a raid (within the confines of the raided settlement and its immediacy) may be captured even if they are popped or D40. To do so make a modreq while providing a screencap of the individual being downed, ideally accompanied by a timestamp.

If they were killed in MC, they were killed in RP please. Completely not a good idea.

Spoiler

2.1 A raid ‘begins’ formally once the raiding party enters the region of the targeted settlement. Or for freebuild settlements, are within 50 blocks of the outermost wall or structure of said settlement.

1. Once the raid has begun the supervising moderator will alert both sides that PvP is now ‘on’. PvP remains ‘on’ until the moderator specifically alerts the leadership of the offensive and defensive party.

So you're telling me that PVP is default during raids every single time? What happened to compromising between the RPers and PVPers? Seems much more like you've made this solely about PVP.

Spoiler

EXTREME NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Not even any rolls involved with this? An extremely gross and terrible rule that I will never support, especially if it means losing important RP relevant items I've gathered over IRL years to a bunch of PVP goon idiots that didn't do any RP work to acquire them. If people want to steal RP items from me they better do so in a clever manner through ACTUAL ROLEPLAY in a situation that's not aids/cancer such as a raid. You better remove this.

Spoiler

4.1 There is no limit on numbers for any offensive or defensive raid action.

Even worse. The raid cap should exist at a number where PVP isn't guaranteed in my opinion, otherwise people will ALWAYS bring a number necessary to subvert roleplay for the sake of clickyclicking people to death and consuming their precious pixels. I'd make it a max of 4 myself so the defenders can make a matching number without PVP being forced.

Spoiler

5.3 A group of Villains operating within the walls or the immediate surroundings (50 blocks from the walls) will be considered an illegal raid if their numbers exceed three.

1. All instigators of illegal raiding shall be Villainy Blacklisted. The leader / high ranking of the party shall receive a double sentence.

What does this even mean? You're not allowed to be a villain group in a community or you're illegally raiding and have to be blacklisted?

Overall it seems you completely lied about the """compromising""" between RP groups and PVP goons for these rules. It's highly in favor for PVP goons even moreso than current rules and I don't support it whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, Narthok said:

Its simple- if they d40'd, they can be captured. If they were popped, they can't be. You killed them. If they were downed, and died because they went too long without being revived, then you can't capture them. It simply means you were too distracted fighting the remaining opponents to properly secure your captive.

Raids are NOT warclaims. You want to turn raids into full pitched battles, which they are not and never should be, ever. Not only is it unfair to be able to mobilize the full force of your army and attack a settlement with it on a regular basis, it is unrealistic and contrary to any IRL standard. Raiding parties are smaller. A fully mobilized army is bigger. That is fact.

A raiding cap is not as unfair as your PVP goons would have you believe. RAIDERS HAVE THE ADVANTAGE OF SURPRISE. THEY CAN TAKE AS LONG AS THEY LIKE TO RALLY UP A FULL PARTY, WHEREAS DEFENDERS ONLY HAVE A FEW MINUTES TO RALLY UP EQUAL NUMBERS WHEN THE RAIDERS ARRIVE AT THEIR DOOR. You admitted yourself, raiders often outnumber the defenders.

Your "settlement" rule won't do ****. Your cliquey raider groups will just be given land in a nation sympathetic to them and begin raiding in their name. Or better yet, make new characters (I use characters in the loosest sense of the word, more like skins to pvp in) to do so. This would all be done OOCly, of course.

And **** off with your implication that having walls up = an elitist isolationist clique. Walls are put up to prevent raids, and nothing else. Because god forbid we put up walls to defend ourselves. And no, you shouldn't be able to break them down with siege equipment every god damned raid. RAIDS ARE NOT SIEGES. NOR SHOULD THEY BE.

As we all know, historically, raiders regularly attacked fortified, walled settlements, instead of pillaging the countryside

Nations, when conducting raids, instead of sending small, fast moving lightning groups, would also regularly fully mobilize the entirety of their army and send it in and out of enemy territory. They would be able to do this once every two days/two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

I can see this acting as a warning for RPers who heavily dislike raids to just log out and the attackers end up walking into an empty settlement.

1.4 Any individual that is downed during the duration of a raid (within the confines of the raided settlement and its immediacy) may be captured even if they are popped or D40. To do so make a modreq while providing a screencap of the individual being downed, ideally accompanied by a timestamp.

If they were killed in MC, they were killed in RP please. Completely not a good idea.

2.1 A raid ‘begins’ formally once the raiding party enters the region of the targeted settlement. Or for freebuild settlements, are within 50 blocks of the outermost wall or structure of said settlement.

1. Once the raid has begun the supervising moderator will alert both sides that PvP is now ‘on’. PvP remains ‘on’ until the moderator specifically alerts the leadership of the offensive and defensive party.

So you're telling me that PVP is default during raids every single time? What happened to compromising between the RPers and PVPers? Seems much more like you've made this solely about PVP.

EXTREME NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Not even any rolls involved with this? An extremely gross and terrible rule that I will never support, especially if it means losing important RP relevant items I've gathered over IRL years to a bunch of PVP goon idiots that didn't do any RP work to acquire them. If people want to steal RP items from me they better do so in a clever manner through ACTUAL ROLEPLAY in a situation that's not aids/cancer such as a raid. You better remove this.

4.1 There is no limit on numbers for any offensive or defensive raid action.

Even worse. The raid cap should exist at a number where PVP isn't guaranteed in my opinion, otherwise people will ALWAYS bring a number necessary to subvert roleplay for the sake of clickyclicking people to death and consuming their precious pixels. I'd make it a max of 4 myself so the defenders can make a matching number without PVP being forced.

5.3 A group of Villains operating within the walls or the immediate surroundings (50 blocks from the walls) will be considered an illegal raid if their numbers exceed three.

1. All instigators of illegal raiding shall be Villainy Blacklisted. The leader / high ranking of the party shall receive a double sentence.

What does this even mean? You're not allowed to be a villain group in a community or you're illegally raiding and have to be blacklisted?

Overall it seems you completely lied about the """compromising""" between RP groups and PVP goons for these rules. It's highly in favor for PVP goons even moreso than current rules and I don't support it whatsoever.

While I acknowledge your perspective this seems like a classic negation of overt force rather than stealth or other more snowflake variants. A siege or a raid is just as legitimate a piece of roleplay as your endless hours of magic training or tavern rp. CRP especially between large groups is an absolute cancer that is advocated primarily by people with insane magic. Raids as they are already are almost unanimously pvp in nature. This just acknowledges this reality.  To address your response to 1.1, you'd have a low cooldown and they'd be able to sack your chests. You can either fight, pay them off, hire mercs. But taking to ooc to solve rp problems just seems indicative of an unhealthy approach to rp in general. 1.4 as it stands the server views mechanical resolutions as a legitimate form of roleplay. If your char were realistic they would act accordingly and attempt to find ways to not die. Paying off bandits, running from raids etc. Solve rp dynamically and realistically. 2.4, defend your pixels or lose them or hide them rply. There are a myraid of solutions you can take instead of demanding the staff provide protections. 4.2 caps are cancer, I've already explained this at length and can provide a further breakdown if you wish. I'm not a fan of being accused of lying but you are entitled to your opinion. I tried to encourage dynamicism while providing incentives for settlements to rally and defend, minimizing the disruption of their rp. 

Just now, Narthok said:

"Caps are cancer"

Are you actually going to listen to feedback and act on it or just get defensive and let your own opinions dictate the shape of these rules (Which no one asked to be rewritten, by the way)