Combat Roleplay - The Game of Loss

JustMeMorgan

Combat Roleplay

Image result for Fantasy duel

What is CRP

Combat Roleplay (CRP) is simply roleplaying in a battle or fight, swords, spells, punches. It is a portion of the server that is quite fishy and flexible, this guide aims to simply refine it to something better

The Idea of Losing

Combat roleplay is the act of fighting things out, this means that there has to be a winner and a loser, many players try to win – which in itself is not bad – however some escalate and exaggerate their own abilities to do so, desperate moves and attempts of which isn’t the worst thing to perform, however, some players will almost push near the boundary of powergame to do so, this I believe is because of the idea of winning, every player wants to win, every player believes their cause is stronger than the other, when sometimes this is not the case. I won’t lie as a writer I have also fallen into this trap, I’ve had times where I had my neck bleeding out and still tried to win when in hindsight, I should have simply accepted the fate. This doesn’t mean I’d PK of course, the reason LoTC has a clause saying you don’t have to PK is in my eyes for this reason, players in my eyes are meant to die, there will always be something that has a bigger cause, mayhaps a demon trying to gain more power by consuming you, or a necromancer killing you for more lifeforce to sustain themselves, the stories of a character does not have to end on a death, merely change slightly. Death in LoTC should be seen as a normal consequence of roleplay, not a disaster. Players in my eyes should still fight for their lives but not break boundaries to do so

The Unfairness Clause

Combat roleplay is almost never fair, plate armour on LoTC is always flexible, when in reality it was actually like seeing a dragon on the battlefield, I’ll simply refer this video for an explanation on how plate armour actually performs, and why in roleplay when you see a being in full plate, you should realise your chances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osTQrJ_axfc&t=20s

Plate amour, in reality, is strong, it takes specialized weapons to pierce it, a common arming sword would have no chance at trying to puncture a chest-plate unless several steps have been taken beforehand (i.e. weakening the plate armour with a mace by denting it and cracking it)

LoTC fights can be fair, but this is not always the case, there will always be a player that has done more, progressed further and has had more experience, and for this reason, you should accept that in roleplay they are better instead of trying to argue against it. This, of course, is not always the case, I will state that if a player is trying to state that they are stronger, faster and better because they trained but their character is only 2 days old, and you've been playing your’ s for half a year now, have been through four war claims and have won many fights, you should have no issue pummelling the hell out them. This is not however to say it’s impossible to win, things have weaknesses and if you know how to exploit these weaknesses, there is no saying you could not take down an uruk, fighting ideas such as blinding, attacking weak spots etc. Are all things that have been developed over time to take down armoured knights, and if you fight right you’ll win against an uruk, just know that if things start going sour and you’re on the verge of death, look at the idea of losing and understand it’s something that happens.

Weapons also have their positives and negatives realise that if you’re in plate armour, a guy with a Warhammer smashing you up is probably going to be quite effective, but a guy with a dagger trying to puncture your plate armour probably wouldn’t be as good.

Movement and extra in combat relevant things:

Movement is never really defined, I’d say around 7-10 blocks per emote is fair enough for a fight, realise that emotes are very small moments of conflict which could be drawn towards turns in DnD, sometimes they can be longer, sometimes they can be smaller, attacking repeatedly in the same emote is also something that is fishy, attacking simultaneously (kicking out their legs while pushing your sword towards a chestplate to try and knock them over is allowed), ‘stabbing them repeatedly’ however should be more defined, perhaps if it was a murder and the person was unable to properly defend themselves, that would be a fair emote (also remember rules of powergame)

Tips

Research weapons, see what does and doesn’t work, learn about swords and types of swords, the benefits and the can’s and can not's of it, I’ve seen many times players trying to pull moves that would make them very easy to attack and deny it, or things that are straight up not possible, fighting styles are things that have been developed in real life over several decades and for that reason you should at least know of them a little before you try to fight it out with the plate armour knight with your pitch-fork, expecting yourself to win. I’d suggest a YouTuber named ‘Skallagrim’ who has a lot of info about swords and so forth, and even information about magic items!

Spoiler

Conclusion

To conclude, players in my eyes should have more experience about fighting if they are going to be a character who looks towards combat roleplay, be it guards or bandits, if you’re the slice-of-life roleplayer (nothing wrong with that) then this is probably only a bit of information to help you on your way. Players should learn that there are going to be times where they die, but that is just a normal thing for a server full of people who play characters who kill or even have requirements to do so, it’s all about development in the end.

Edited by Morganosaurus Rex

+1. Really helpful! Especially the weapon channel recommendations!

I love Skallagrim, helped me get over me edgy new player powergamer phase faster then I should of.

Edited by Mavromino

I could not agree more. In-fact, we shouldn’t even have combat RP! We should just all do /persona played, and whoever has more hours? They win!

I approve this message.

Just now, DISCOLIQUID said:

I could not agree more. In-fact, we shouldn’t even have combat RP! We should just all do /persona played, and whoever has more hours? They win!

I personally don't think it's fair but it's a good thought! If someone isn't skilled in one type of combat and has a lot of hours, and another person has less hours but is specialized in that combat, it would seem fair that the one that has trained in that specific combat would win. If only there was a way to tell who spent more time training for specific kinds of combat ;-;

Just now, juggarNOTtoday said:

I personally don't think it's fair but it's a good thought! If someone isn't skilled in one type of combat and has a lot of hours, and another person has less hours but is specialized in that combat, it would seem fair that the one that has trained in that specific combat would win. If only there was a way to tell who spent more time training for specific kinds of combat ;-;

Why stop there? I mean really, most Elves on this server are 200+ years old. How on earth are baby human fighters going to beat them? It’s just not feasible. Honestly, any human who beats an Elf, Orc, Dwarf, Kha, etc. in combat must be severely power-gaming, right?

8 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

Why stop there? I mean really, most Elves on this server are 200+ years old. How on earth are baby human fighters going to beat them? It’s just not feasible. Honestly, any human who beats an Elf, Orc, Dwarf, Kha, etc. in combat must be severely power-gaming, right?

Age doesn't make experience and luck exists.

18 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

It’s almost like saying we don’t have to pvp to settle disputes over people not wanting to crp with nobody but their friends,  because who likes effort, right? :I

But, in all seriousness, good guide. I wish people followed this more often.

@DISCOLIQUID When you’re done being salty that would be nice lol, I’m trying to help players, you seem to just be targetting a small part of the guide ^-^.

Maybe if you understood the guide a bit better instead of throwing salt continuously at one statement it would make it easier

This, of course, is not always the case, I will state that if a player is trying to state that they are stronger, faster and better because they trained but their character is only 2 days old, and you've been playing your’ s for half a year now, have been through four war claims and have won many fights, you should have no issue pummelling the hell out them.”

If you want I could also amend it to say ‘although this does not mean someone who lives for hundreds of years longer would always win, there is always a pinnacle to skill’.

I do believe you have seriously misread the meaning of this dear Disco, and you’re merely being salt-filled on it instead of actually trying to discuss it, the meaning of the statement was about how some people have had substantially more experience with that character and roleplay (guards, previous military serving people etc.) and are being beaten by ‘fresher’ characters who merely claimed they have practised and trained and due to this training they must be better, when in fact this other character has substantially more expertise in this situation, the idea of playing the character longer was merely trying to assist the penultimate sentence on how you may have been through several more fights and succeeded as such, it was never about having played your character as being an elf and such, merely that your character has experienced more fights and thus is more proficient

And also on that topic, are you arguing that time and experience would not be a factor at all? As I see that as quite a bullshitty statement to throw it, I don’t think you seriously understand combat roleplay if you believe that the time in combat and experience has any effect on how good your character would be at fighting. I’d suggest you read into watching those YouTubers, looking at HEMA and understanding that practice makes perfect, so if you spend 500 years practising the sword, and the knight in front of you has practised 10, then if you look at Lars who has become essentially the master of the bow, you can understand that time is indeed a factor.

My final statement would be referencing back to the unfairness clause, please understand not everything on LoTC is meant to be fair, and I think this post is more aimed at you as you cannot understand this.

1 minute ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

1 minute ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

LoTC fights can be fair, but this is not always the case, there will always be a player that has done more, progressed further and has had more experience, and for this reason, you should accept that in roleplay they are better instead of trying to argue against it. This, of course, is not always the case, I will state that if a player is trying to state that they are stronger, faster and better because they trained but their character is only 2 days old, and you've been playing your’ s for half a year now, have been through four war claims and have won many fights, you should have no issue pummelling the hell out them.”

How do we determine experience if not through time, my dude? 

It seems like you see this whole discussion as a push for race and time spent on training as being set as the deciding factor in CRP?

Let us not forget that Combat roleplay is about ROLEPLAYing your characters ability and that means that you wont win every battle. Even if we are to bring race and time spent into the equation; We still role for actions that we are uncertain of the outcome, while also trying to consider the actual size, strenth and expertise to help guide the outcome of each CRP.

It should by no means be a key deciding factor but when a human attempts to overpower an Orc or pierce plate armour with a standard sword, thats when we should reference what we’ve just descussed. Rather than seeing it as the deciding factor, perhaps you should see it rather as a guideline to push for better quality in roleplaying within combat.

https://gyazo.com/a2abdf313191823c7a91164eb8954fa3

The guide aims to help audiences, you’ve simply replied to the same part you’ve been arguing on without simply reading the entire guide I find it appalling from a player who's been on the server longer than I have, that instead of trying to 

Help a post

You simply aim to dismantle it with your fundamentally stupid ideas and try to argue the same pointless argument which in itself isn’t half wrong

If you wear full plate, in a roleplay you are going to be a tank, if roleplay is accurate then a sword would not be able to puncture full plate, that’s not an opinion, that is a fact, I have linked evidence on this, there is a lot more of this evidence too.

Please understand Disco I’m merely trying to help people, you’re merely creating an argument that is not required in the slightest, everything you have said can be said ten times easier and without this appalling display that you have put on.

Oh and just to show how wrong you are I’m gonna post some nice salty messages:

Edited by Morganosaurus Rex

21 minutes ago, benji said:

It seems like you see this whole discussion as a push for race and time spent on training as being set as the deciding factor in CRP?

Yeah, I think that’s a fair diagnoses of my point of view.

Let us not forget that Combat roleplay is about ROLEPLAYing your characters ability and that means that you wont win every battle. Even if we are to bring race and time spent into the equation; We still role for actions that we are uncertain of the outcome, while also trying to consider the actual size, strenth and expertise to help guide the outcome of each CRP.

No, CRP is about scumming wins and not cooperating. If CRP was a place where people actually tried to RP and not ******* fish for Victory, our guides would look far less like “adhere to these systems for balance” (the above) and far more like “Here’s how to enjoy your next fight against bandits!”

It should by no means be a key deciding factor but when a human attempts to overpower an Orc or pierce plate armour with a standard sword, thats when we should reference what we’ve just descussed. Rather than seeing it as the deciding factor, perhaps you should see it rather as a guideline to push for better quality in roleplaying within combat.

I think if you read the guide above, you’ll find there’s literally no argument for a 21 year old human with a sword and leather armor defeating a 100 year old orc with full iron armor. I get that you want QUALITY role-play, that makes sense, but this is not a guide about QUALITY, this is a guide about how to decide who should win or lose.