[✗] [Magic Lore] - Telekinesis

IsaaKc

Telekinesis

Introduction

Alteration is a diverse field of magic—magi have always sought to find ways to alter the mana in the world around them, such as changing the state of an object and eventually, manipulating its momentum by reaching out through the Void to mentally grasp the object. These magi, Telekinetics as they’re called, refined this practice throughout decades to eventually create the art of Telekinesis.

Magic Explanation

Due to the Telekinesis’ limited functionality, it may not be used in combat and only has use utility-wise. The Telekinetic reaches out through the Void to mentally grasp at a solid object and apply momentum to it in order to manipulate the position of the object to the mage’s desire. Telekinesis may not be used to manipulate living organic matter (e.i. one cannot use telekinesis to break a live tree branch, but a long dead fallen tree’s limbs may be snapped with telekinesis) or living people/creatures. Telekinesis could be used for labor, but it may not perform superhuman feats, such as lifting a boulder or launching objects with incredible speed.

Learning Telekinesis

Telekinesis is an incredibly easy magical feat to learn in comparison to Elemental Evocations, Transfiguration, or Illusionary arts. The concept is fairly easy to wrap your head around. It employs connecting to the Void and creating a mana anchor on the object, often shrouding it in aura or visibly vibrating, and applying momentum to it in order to move it freely. This will be difficult at first, as the Telekinetic may only be able to merely make an object quake. From this point onward, the Telekinetic may perfect their craft slowly until lifting objects comes with significant ease.

OOC Explanation

- Telekinesis is classed under Voidal Magic in the category Alteration.

- Telekinesis does not take up any Magic Slots. It can be picked up by anyone who has a valid [MA] in any Voidal Magic.

- A Voidal Connection and Mana is required to cast Telekinesis

Spells

A Telekinetic’s list of spells is incredibly tight, not really any good for purposes beyond acting as a replacement for physical labor or maneuvering around objects for convenience or as a neat party trick.

Manipulate: Non-Combative

The Telekinetic applies momentum to an object so it may be freely moved around with ease, be it used as a fun cantrip or for physical utility

Spoiler

Mechanics: 

Manipulate takes 1 connect emote + 1 charge emote + 1 cast emote to properly execute. Manipulate is mainly a utility spell and may not be used to achieve a combative advantage. The Telekinetic cannot grasp at materials that have many particles or moving parts, only able to lift a droplet of water or a few grains of sand at most. Additionally, this spell could be used with magic such as Transmutation to better organize the task being performed. This spell is not mana intensive, but if used for a repetitive action, such as chopping wood/other physical labor, it will become exhausting over time.

Red-lines:

- May not be used to gain a combative advantage, such as shooting objects at people.

- The telekinetic must either be within a close radius of the object or have line of sight with it to initially cast Manipulate.

- The more objects one holds and their weight, the more fatiguing it is.

- May only be used on non-living/dead-organic matter.

- May not be used to perform superhuman feats. If the average descendant could not reasonably perform the task, Telekinesis may not unless more Telekinetics were to join in.

Summon: Non-Combative

Through great familiarization with a specific object and its location, a Telekinetic may summon it without having line of sight or close proximity to it. A Telekinetic could use it to summon a book from another room in their home, or perhaps a mop and bucket of water to clean up that’s stored in a supply closet.

Spoiler

Mechanics:

This spell takes 1 connect emote + 1 charge emote + 1 cast emote to properly execute. This may not be used to gain a combative advantage and is more-or-less a flavor spell. There’s no limit as to how many objects a Telekinetic could familiarize themselves with in order to cast Summon, but they may not have the ability to know the exact specifics of every object in their household.

Red-lines:

- May not be used to gain a combative advantage, such as summoning a weapon for combat.

- A Telekinetic is not able to become familiar with every object in their house to the point of being able to summon any object.

- Summon may not be used to thieve objects from players.

- Summon may only be used in a homespace that the Telekinetic spends lots of time in. You may not go into a city, familiarize yourself with an object once, then visit it weeks later and summon it.

Enchantments: Non-Combative

A Transfigurationist with Telekinesis, or a Transfigurationist and a Telekinetic may begin an enchanting ritual in order to imbue an object with Telekinetic properties.

Spoiler

Mechanics: 

Emote count is dependant upon the speed of the Transfigurationist’s roleplay. This could be used for aesthetic purposes, such as making a room with floating candles, or in the case of Atronach Forging to create Telekinesis Atronachs. Other than the case of Atronachs, this is merely an aesthetic spell. One could not pick up an object that is enchanted with telekinesis and use it in any combative form.

Red-lines: 

- Aesthetic wise, it may not be used to gain a combative advantage. 

- If a Telekinesis enchantment is to be mixed with other enchantments that have combative potential, it requires a Magical Artifact application to be submitted and reviewed by LT.

- Larger creations suspended in the air will need region owner approval depending on their location and consultation of the Charter Team if “floating islands” were to ever become a thing again.

Red-lines:

- Telekinesis may not be used to gain a combative advantage.

- Telekinesis may not be used to fly.

- Telekinesis may not be used to manipulate living things. It must be non-organic or dead-organic.

- If the average descendant could not perform the task alone, a Telekinetic cannot.

- Telekinesis may not be used to pick up objects with moving parts or that are fluid in nature, such as water, sand or any gas.

- Pre-existing CAs that operate on Telekinesis such as Atronachs are not affected by this and may still be created if the lore is accepted.

Pros:

- Allows for non-combative whimsical magic roleplay.

- Any mage with a valid [MA] of any voidal art can self teach it.

- Eliminates all powergame potential in Telekinesis.

Cons:

- Removes combative potential in Telekinesis.

- Small quantity of spells within the magic.

- Little use outside of flavor/utility roleplay.

Tier Progression

Since Telekinesis can be picked up and self taught by any mage with an existing voidal [MA], there isn’t a set Tier Progression because of how small the magic actually is. All spells may be learned in a matter of one or two OOC weeks if the Telekinetic is consistently practicing. From that point onwards, they may practice their spells until they’ve reached the peak at which they consider to have great control over their spells.

Author’s Note

This is some lore I’ve been contemplating on writing for a couple months. I know it’s going to be controversial and I know that people are going to complain (which is where I ask you to please keep the thread clean). Telekinesis is cool in concept, fits LotC’s magic niche and has a lot of potential in combat for RP to flourish; however, many powergaming instances have proven that many of its users aren’t responsible enough to have Telekinesis. I’m dissatisfied with the Telekinesis revisions that have been submitted which is why I’ve proposed to open it up to all existing mages and restrict it to whimsical magic roleplay with some use in enchantments.

Credit Where Credit Is Due

Supremacy’s Telekinesis Lore:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/69845-%E2%9C%93-accepted-by-mat-telekinesispsychokinesis-the-movement-of-object-with-the-mind-complete/

Supremacy’s Telekinesis Guide:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/88063-telekinesis-guide/

Isaac Author

First and reserved. 

EDIT: 

I respectfully disagree with this rewrite.

Edited by Johann

No. Telekenisis should be combat useable lol.

No cap if your only solution to nerf combat telekinesis is to remove any and all combat capability period, you’re just not trying hard enough lol. Gay magic without combat capability, might as well just pick up translocation. Way cooler magic to do exactly what telekinesis would do under this write. 

Just remove telekinesis entirely and let it be a household spell. TK is stupid in combat but having it as a feat with like one extra thing is kind of dumb and a waste of time with more MA paperwork

Just now, Toxcat said:

Just remove telekinesis entirely and let it be a household spell. TK is stupid in combat but having it as a feat with like one extra thing is kind of dumb and a waste of time with more MA paperwork

It’s not even a feat or an MA. I’ve written it to where anyone can pick it up as long as they’ve got a valid MA in every other voidal magic. If it ends up getting passed, it can be easily turned into a Household Magic addition.

10 minutes ago, HotArcanismBeam said:

It’s not even a feat or an MA. I’ve written it to where anyone can pick it up as long as they’ve got a valid MA in every other voidal magic. If it ends up getting passed, it can be easily turned into a Household Magic addition.

what do you expect me to read like a competent person

BRIH I JUST SENT THE ******* FEEDBACK FOR THE PENDING TELEKINESIS PIECE COME ON

the best thing this does is take away power-gaming. and the way it does it is scuffed.

Might NOT GonnA LiE KiNDA CRinGe, AddErAll, no ComMENT

I kinda dont mind this, i think it could be interesting to have telekenisis just be a fun aesthetic of voidal magic, but heyo thats just my opinion

Judging by the comments so far this might be a hot take and a controversial opinion but here goes nothing. 

No. 

10 hours ago, Lhindir_ said:

No. Telekenisis should be combat useable lol.

yeah but telekenesis as combat magic is actually dogshit. Like come on, it’s just *connects 2 void *stares at sword  *sword fly out of hand!! Or just *connect>stare at rock>rock fly at someone’s head. 

Utimately. Bad magic, either remove it entirely or do.... this

@HotArcanismBeam

Is it possible for a magic to be so weak, that it’s actually unbalanced on the other end of the spectrum?

Nah but seriously, this could just be RP’d with household magic. The concept of telekinesis is not terrible and can work on LotC, you just need to put in the effort to make it work. Use the methods we talked about in PM’s: provide tangible numbers (emote count, mph, weight, damage) and emphasize aspects of gravity that do not have to do with lifting objects (kinetic blasts, levitation, etc).

Any lore can work on LoTC if you make it work. 

Edited by _SuitAndTie_