Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

((Affixes and joining words are key in understanding and implementing Ancient Elven. Often the root word is a verb which has certain affixes or extra sounds that we have found commonly used (made up) to make a family of similar words. There are also some similar sounds between words because it reflects a deeper meaning in the word. e.g. sirame is honour, ame is forest. It takes a little while of learning and a bunch of getting it wrong to start understanding elven enough to introduce new things that are accurate to the language, but suggestions are always welcomed.))

We derive new words and additions to the language as we find them in ancient writings. This became highly accelerated once we had generated enough understanding of basic words. Sometimes we find that our old understandings require revision based on new evidence. We strive to discover what we can.

OOC:

Much like the grammatical structure, numbers are structured similarly to japanese for double digits and beyond (i.e three-onehundred-five-ten-four). ' is used to link a number with its value for 10, 100 and 1000.

So 14 (fourteen) is moiel vailu [10.4]

54 (fifty four) is kulin'telu vailu [5.10.4]

354 (three hundred fifty four) is hael'matelu kulin'telu vailu [3.100.5.10.4]

This is your OP and what's written on the wiki. I read explicitly that " ' is used to link a number with it's value for 10, 100 and 1000".

I suggest using your original method, as most languages separate the words. I.e. 3300 is three thousand three hundred in English or tres mil tres-cents in Catalan, trois mil trois-cents in French, or tre tusen tre hundre in Norwegian, and you would never understand (3, 1000, 3, 100 as different numbers).

We could maybe too use 'ehya', so 354 would be hael'matelu kulin'telu'ehya vailu'ehya (three hundred and fifty and four) or hael'matelu, kulin'telu vailu'ehya (three hundred, fifty and four).

The system of putting together words is the way Japanese number characters are used. I do see what you are getting at, and in fact my preference would be for fourscore and six style of counting, but none of the younger ones would understand it.

You are right about the placement of the apostrophe. I haven't used large numbers in a while and am out of touch. Fourteen would be telu vailu, as the use of the apostrophe is to distinguish the value of the 10, 100 or 1000. Therefore telu'vailu would technically be ten fours, so 40, even though it is grammatically incorrect.

Forget what I have said earlier. I will check and update the wiki if neccessary when I am home. But telu = 10, moiel = 9. When I was editing my post I clearly missed 14.

((Affixes and joining words are key in understanding and implementing Ancient Elven. Often the root word is a verb which has certain affixes or extra sounds that we have found commonly used (made up) to make a family of similar words. There are also some similar sounds between words because it reflects a deeper meaning in the word. e.g. sirame is honour, ame is forest. It takes a little while of learning and a bunch of getting it wrong to start understanding elven enough to introduce new things that are accurate to the language, but suggestions are always welcomed.))

We derive new words and additions to the language as we find them in ancient writings. This became highly accelerated once we had generated enough understanding of basic words. Sometimes we find that our old understandings require revision based on new evidence. We strive to discover what we can.

Feran ito kae. I shall help you on new discoveries once i have some time. I find useful too using a yellow font to write in elven. I have one more question. ((Yeah, I know I'm asking too much, but I want to learn)) I've seen that you don't usually use capital letters writing in elven. Is this because of Old Elfs using a different calligraphy/letters? Or do they never use capital letters? ((Or you haven't thought of it yet?)) I've used the first letter as capital in my notes, but I'm wondering...

((Ok, I needed to know. Your posts saying you wanted to keep it mystical lead me to the wrong direction. ))

Rivell uses capital letters. In writing books I do, but mostly so that young readers can understand the pauses. From what I have seen there are no capitals used in regular punctuation. I thought this would come up as I and Rivell have differing preferences, though we haven't discussed it.

I will send him a letter now and we will review our material.

((I personally prefer not using any capital letters. It seems cleaner and more like old inscriptions and such))

((About that, the wiki lore about mali'aheralan has used different rules for pretty much each word (you can see mali'aheral, Mali'aheral and Mali'Aheral) and hasn't taken to account plurals. I would like to correct that, but I am fairly sure I need some kind of permission to do so. I too wanted your approval (since you are the ones who made the whole up)))

((Word of the day:

Taynaii: Generally all other races but elves, specifically humans. Not a very good thing to say, a bit insulting. I have to make up words as I (re)write my app :P))

Accurately: capitals are not used in Ancient Elven except where a specific phonetic meaning is applied to the word. I don't yet fully understand, but am trying to get a grasp on it.

Capital letters have been used similarly to the common language for pronouns and at the beginning of sentences in some written forms of Elvish. For the most part, the language was verbal, so some inaccuracies from the writer can be excused. They are often consequence of bilingual elves where the common language has affected Elven writings; or from more recent translations into Elven where the writer's first language is common.

Added a few words (for loneliness, to find and to want) and also updated the rules on infinitives. Constructing complex sentences is now finally possible!

Added a few words (for loneliness, to find and to want) and also updated the rules on infinitives. Constructing complex sentences is now finally possible!

Yay! It was too much for you to write that bit of lore in Elven, I see...

Yay! It was too much for you to write that bit of lore in Elven, I see...

Actually I wrote that lore you're talking about with the language that already existed. But now that I added new words, I can tweak it a little bit.

These are just words I find vital a lot of the time. With 2.0 coming I want elves to be able to speak exactly what's on their Elven mind should they wish it ;)

Don't be afraid, At least I'll be definately be doing that. By the way, I'll raid for you (want it or not) to be an Old Elven teacher once the University is up and going :)

For the lore I wrote I've been acknowledging texts without capitalization, like Elindor and Laurir said. It's supposed to be ancient written elvish (there's a reason it's written), and I only capitalize the word Mali and place names. No start of sentence caps.

Rivell uses capitalization randomly, though. I suppose he'll learn to write correctly soon enough.

I would very much like to see a few different greeting words in this dictionary, as Ugroth can speak very basic elvish (VERY basic elvish)due to his upbringing.

A casual greeting, to greet friends or family.

A formal greeting, to greet strangers or people of note.

An awed greeting, to greet honoured, or well respected people, like seasoned warriors, or princes.

These actually exist, you just have to compose them. There's just no 'hey' or 's'up' greeting for friends. However, here's what I propose:

For strangers, something like 'good day'/'karin'ayla'

For awed greetings, use a wish or blessing like 'ame naean'leh evareh'

For friends you can use either. Most friends may have stick with a blessing they like and use it exclusively for meetings between them.

And throwing in 'ilir' here and there is always nice. For that personal touch you can add an adjective for your friend, but remember the sentence structure: the adjective comes after the subject.