Moderation Update: June

Braxis

Moderation Update Log

June   2020

BJLAa8br7qt8jfdjsbqGfJz61pSYa7FNgbqKWGIa

<Introduction>

Good afternoon everyone! We hope this month has been off to a better start then the previous, for everyone here on LOTC. June was a hectic time for the Moderation Team itself for both good and ill. Although we have had a lot of burnout catching up with many Moderation Team members, we also have seen projects coming to completion and the team moving onto more fun and exciting projects all around.

<New Changes>

Outside of a few changes to our Staff Wiki, in which we brought many pages up to speed with current procedure, most of the changes to the team can be found within our Project and Roster logs below!

<Current Projects>

Rule Rewrite - All rules, with the exception of Server Conflict (Not War Rules more PVP/CRP focused) and Raid Rules have been approved. Conflict and Raid Rules are to be finished around this time next week. We hope this will allow Moderation to be able to sit down with the Forum Techs to  get the new Forum Rule layout setup and updated in an expedited manner. As well once the new rules go live, there will be a grace period to allow players to adjust to the new rules. You can expect more information on these coming changes once the rules announcement goes up later this month.

Coups- Coups rules are currently still paused unless the PRO is inactive. Coup rules are pending an amendment or two from the Admins and Moderators working on refining the system that was recently used in Haelun’or, and we will hopefully have chances to give the system a trial run before fully implementing it.

Moderation Application - With the eventful month that was June, the Moderation Application format changes have been postponed until after the current round of Moderation Interviews. After these interviews are concluded, the new Moderation Team Application format will be published.

War Patch  - The current War Patch is almost done, due to be reviewed by Moderation Management tomorrow and then submitted for final team and Admin review. This is currently on schedule to be done by the end of the month that the absolute LATEST. The goal is to have it done in a more timely manner compared to the last project that was slowed down due to issues outside the team’s control.

The War Patch will be addressing problems by  creating clearer instructions on how to start a war and outlining default rules, warzone guidelines, staff support and more by changing processes to better methods and expanding upon what is already existing. The Moderation team will be using this war patch as a way to obtain valuable information on what works and what doesn’t so that we are in a better position for the creation of a fully functioning 8.0-ready system.

<Current Team Roster >

XUmtb0Iozu8yEm57xr7YHbO868tjY7JZsvz6a1nv

<Monthly Statistics>

Moderation Staff received a total of 1299 Tickets in June

_SuWU2wEnM6k-J8wV9V6xB0PwUE1c4li3KF2RJ__

1st Place: Crevel

2nd Place: ImCookiie

3rd Place: Markosi

<Roster changes>

Lefty has Joined Moderation

Gus has Joined Moderation

Bawg has Joined Moderation

Balthazar has Joined Moderation

Tigergiri has finally finished her to do list and chosen to leave the Moderation Team to pursue other opportunities on LotC.

Darksainthood stepped down from the team.

Frott stepped down from the team.

BlueBudgie is no longer on the team.  

Frill is no longer on the team.

– – – – = – + – = – – – – 

+Basketweaver has joined Moderation Management

+ TheIchorDruid has joined Moderation Management

+Markosi has joined Moderation Management

<Special Thanks

@Tigergiri, for all the hard work she has done to help shape the team to a better path then what it was in the past. As well for the work she did that helped guide the Rule Rewrite Project, even the past versions of the project that was before my time as Admin. Not mentioning listening to my near daily rants, seriously thank you.

@ImChiicken for spearheading and tackling the current Rule Rewrite Project alongside Tiger, myself and a few others. Taking the mantle of the project manager when others went to tackle other problems regarding the team. I do regret the project took so long, when so much hard work was put into it during her time on the team.

Who kept shooting down conflict rules and why

6 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

nobody really writing them man

The War Patch will be addressing problems by  creating clearer instructions on how to start a war and outlining default rules, warzone guidelines, staff support and more by changing processes to better methods and expanding upon what is already existing. The Moderation team will be using this war patch as a way to obtain valuable information on what works and what doesn’t so that we are in a better position for the creation of a fully functioning 8.0-ready system.

you'd think somewhere in the midst of writing a word salad like this, you’d come to realise the server’s approach to war is an over-complicated heap of **** 

lookie i got a special mention.oh wowza!

7 minutes ago, argonian said:

you'd think somewhere in the midst of writing a word salad like this, you’d come to think the server’s approach to war is an over-complicated heap of **** 

If only it was like Aegis and we just showed up to other nations with 50 men and just went ham and embraced anarchy smh.

Serious note, the current one is very complicated even with how little there is to go off on it. Why we are Putting standards and proper procedures up for everyone to reference so wars can start up and flow more naturally. As we get that rolling we’ll be focusing on the 8.0 System to try to tackle some the ideas and concerns players have brought up to us, as well not wanting things to be like a 30 page user manual guide. 

19 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

After the first version was shot down, we were instructed to focus on the other projects first. Not to mention team being burnt out on the reasons why it was denied had conflicted to what they were given when they first started the projects.  Some of the reasons why it was shot down was mainly on differing views how CB’s should be handled, should they be a thing at all and the War Types such as everyone favorite, Conquest and what should and shouldn’t be acceptable wargoals along with  a few other things.

With changes to the systems that delayed the other projects corrected or being worked on, we hope to see things done in a much more timely manner. If not, we’ll those of us working on these projects have to move forward anyways.

17 minutes ago, GoodGuyMatt said:

Braxis do be hard at work doe

I know whole like 5 more tickets then my normal average, can’t flex too hard ya’know?

top 5 modreqs btw

People who join this server are almost always confused by our weird bureaucracy, by how every decision needs to be rubber-stamped by admins who don’t play, and by our insistence on jargon. It’s a genuine obstacle to getting people to play the game. We should make an effort in the future to take power back from the admins and write rules in plain English.

56 minutes ago, Braxis said:

If only it was like Aegis and we just showed up to other nations with 50 men and just went ham and embraced anarchy smh.

Serious note, the current one is very complicated even with how little there is to go off on it. Why we are Putting standards and proper procedures up for everyone to reference so wars can start up and flow more naturally. As we get that rolling we’ll be focusing on the 8.0 System to try to tackle some the ideas and concerns players have brought up to us, as well not wanting things to be like a 30 page user manual guide. 

or if it was asulon

or anthos

or the fringe

or thales

or athera

or vailor

or axios

or atlas

or even early arcas

war isn’t exactly a new thing on LOTC, why do we suddenly need to spend months working out “clear instructions on how to start a war” and “changing processes to better methods and expanding upon what is already existing”(whatever that actually means)?

this isn’t a criticism of you personally, but of the utterly insane admin culture we’ve had for years now of ENDLESS re-writes(which rarely if ever achieve anything) and removing features of the server for months(or even years) at a time while they happen. all the while the long and arduous waits for everything to get done, because of how many pointless bureaucratic layers everything has to go through(”yeah it’s done now, so the admins might sign off on it... within the next 30 years” is a constant line in any LOTC announcement, whether it’s development or rules or events), are hidden behind weasel words and PR language, as if that achieves anything.

like come on, this is getting even more ridiculous then Pandann’s CEO LARP. not everything has to be this complicated

going to agree with my good irish compariot here

War as a base concept are very simple, and if you look back on our past renditions they’re all built on the same concept of declare war → justify war → war. There’s some very necessary changes that need to be made like removing total annihilation as a consequence but this talk of removing CBs or finding a way around them is just one Admin pushing their ideals over the needs of the community when you consider that CBs as a concept are always going to exist (i.e. you cannot feasibly have aggressive wars in most cases).

Slap the base, workable war framework in so we can use it and then you can look at fleshing it out after.

Conflict is so scuffed at the moment. You'd think that the LOTC staff should care about the one single thing that has sustained the community and allowed high peaks. 

Honestly, a lot of people that I know have been bored the server because of the stagnant slice of life and the inability to do anything that changes the status quo.

Not gonna bother responding to any one person, but I think this is applicable to everyone when it comes to conflict rules.

We know. We hear you. We’re trying. But every proposal or change or attempt to revert to ways of old is always shut down in one way or the other by the ‘powers that be’. There’s only so much we can do, and we’re sorry that it isn’t enough.

20 minutes ago, Sykogenic said:

Not gonna bother responding to any one person, but I think this is applicable to everyone when it comes to conflict rules.

We know. We hear you. We’re trying. But every proposal or change or attempt to revert to ways of old is always shut down in one way or the other by the ‘powers that be’. There’s only so much we can do, and we’re sorry that it isn’t enough.

At this point I think most people recognise it's an admin thing and any resentment to the GMs is owing to the fact that like ... people dont really know what the **** was happening. We've been left in the dark entirely up until now over who's writing what or who's stopping what. Whole things been very secretive which it absolutely  shouldnt be. 

On the contrary, it should be an open rewrite actively looking for feedback. Like recently I reached out to get involved in the conflict rules and I got told i HAD to be a Mod which is blatantly contrary to the policy of Staff being able to help out with projects across teams.

If your ideas are always getting shut down in the end, it must be because they’re bad ideas.

Instead of complaining to the community that it’s “powers that be”. Try to work with the powers themselves and try to find common ground for a comfortable system that benefits everybody.

IMO.

It wouldn’t even surprise me if the next war rules are worse than the current ones by a mile and a half, seeing the way the current project is being handled.

Edited by Charles The Bald