HABEMUS PAPAM! - Pontifical Enthronement of 1802, 355 ES

Draeris

wYszbAhbwp0WqUfow0d7c-nzZEI6UmOJZHdSbpWaxShoPAGZ95A6be-3vWh6Z-5ByMSXKMGEAF4DHad27jzqwe-xU22hMQZz69ap_WkbutKj9EkcxCu0QsgNEHLiU9ci8OJf-Ng

(Left to right - Manfried Cardinalis Godvinus, Armande-Philippe de Rennes, Amadeus Cardinalis, Ailred Cardinalis, Pontifex Maximus Owyn III, Cyril Cardinalis,

Pelagius Episcopus & the head of Alfred Cardinalis Jorenus at the presentation of the new High Pontiff to the clergy, 1802). 

HABEMUS PAPAM! 

THE PAPAL ENTHRONEMENT OF 1802

On a nondescript morning as dawn had barely commenced, a carriage parked before the Reinmar Estate in the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska. There, amidst the displaced Kaedreni wandering about the tents that encircled the structure, stood a frail and fatigued man cutting the only rosebush in the garden. 

As Cardinal Amadeus and his aide exited the carriage quite clumsily, they proceeded towards the man in purple robes ahead. “Ahem.” the aged Cardinal spoke, clasping his hands as a “Hmm?” was replied. The wigged man that turned his head towards Amadeus, was none other than his old friend Cardinal Laurence. 

“What brings you here?”

“Bad news, Eminence.”

“Am I demoted again?”

“No, worse.” 

The Albarose would gently place his cutters on the fence besides him, now turning fully towards Amadeus. 

“Could it b-” 

“Yes Eminence, His Holiness has passed away.”

“Ohh.” he would look at his Rosebush, then to the Cardinal’s aide, then to Amadeus “I suppose I should dress for the occasion then?” Amadeus nodded as he beckoned to his own white Cardinal robes.

Without any words, both Laurence and Amadeus would enter the Reinmar estate: being greeted by ten awkward Barclays staring at from the table, where they attempted to have an undisturbed breakfast. “Are you looking for Ailred? He is ou-” Laurence held up his hand, ignoring the young Barclay who looked with a confused expression. Amadeus nodded apologetically towards them, as Laurence raced forward to the guest room he made his home. Many grunts and a quick line of Albarosan powder later, both Cardinals entered the cramped carriage: and were headed to the interim Holy See in Providence.

They would find crowds of clergymen, bureaucrats &  onlookers crammed in the Providence Cathedral: all looking at the rotting body of what once was His Holiness James II, surrounded by treasures once obtained and gained posthumously. 

YuJOGUzIlcHXoOy6S-RNcr9b0e6mZa8_t9AaZEDPKjpTrUCmbZtJX88bh32YLgXvAswY4Erct1tGnDjDGISth8ngc3LmWXaLhpmTFBGzi5psOlfugkLWRaSn_cFJ7lPM0MmJRRI

(Left to right - Amadeus Cardinalis, Manfried Cardinalis, Laurence Cardinalis, Ailred Cardinalis & Cyril Cardinalis prior to the Conclave of 1802). 

“The unity of our Church is of utmost importance.” Amadeus declared across the table, garnering attention from the rest “We must elect someone that can withstand this modern zeitgeist, and uphold the spirit of our faith.”

“Right.” Cyril nodded in agreement “Let us then look over the candidates?”

“Candidates?” Laurence scoffed “You mean candidate. His Holiness would’ve wanted his Synod to act as one!” 

“Quite!” Amadeus shook his fist “We cannot be disunited by temporal sectarianism -- a distraction from the pure ideological convictions of our faith!”

“So who shall we nominate as our candidate? Jorenus?” Ailred inquired. “No problem.” Amadeus nodded to that. 

“Uhmm, technically, yes problem.” Laurence leaned forward “Jorenus would alienate our Fidei Defensor.”

“Well when I said no problem.” Amadeus swallowed “I meant: no... Problem.”

“Right.” Ailred scratched the back of his head “Godvinus then?”

“If we’re going for the Oren route, wouldn’t I be more qualified?Amadeus frowned at Ailred, clasping his hands “Godvinus surely would be a better fit to manage our burials and weddings, non?”

“Didn’t you get shipped off to Sutica by His Holiness?” Manfried retorted with a snort “Bold to assume you would be Oren’s pick.”

“Eminences, please!” Cyril intervened “Think of the Faith! Would GOD look at us squabbling like this, and be proud of us? This is a descension into anti-confessional convictions!”

“If it isn’t me, I suppose we elect Albarosa then.” Amadeus would nod to Laurence, both raising their hand.

“All-” he beckoned Manfried with threatening eyes, who reluctantly raised his hand “in favour.”

Cyril looked at him too, following his lead as Amadeus continued “The motion to nominate Albarosa carries-” he would pause, looking at Ailred.

“What?” Ailred perked a brow, as now all Cardinals would look at him with their hands raised.

“Un-” Amadeus continued, tilting his head. 

“Fine.” Ailred sighed, raising his hand. 

“Unanimously. Congratulations Cardinal Albarosa!”

wBHrx2k0Yq-RALg51iwI_8M2o41GCIRg80WmkFOe1minwzbBkJxIADNYecHX-PY0UqvTF3YaeAExtjCv83UwKepH8O7yh-24sm6bnRRc9sJY8sHq4N-J0lHboWX5tGM_p4wG8TY

A crowd awaits the election of the new High Pontiff, 1802.

The doors of the backroom in the Providence Cathedral were sealed by two Bishops, as the crowd stood around the empty Pontifical Throne in anticipation. The Haeseni prayed for either Alfred or Ailred, the Orenians prayed for Manfried or Amadeus and the Kaedreni for Laurence. Some eyed each other awkwardly, others loudly jested about each other’s candidate. The mixed mood outside was nothing like the inner chamber of the Conclave, where Pontifical Aide Theon Virosi read out the election results. 

“Albarosa Cardinalis.”

The room remained silent.

“Albarosa Cardinalis.”

“That’s tw-” 
“Shh!” Amadeus interrupted Laurence, Theon looking at them with a mildly annoyed expression.

“Jorenus Cardinalis.”

“****.”
“Shh!”
“Ohh c-!”

“SHH” Theon interjected, grumbling.

“Albarosa Cardinalis.”

A sigh could be heard from the opposite side of the room, as the rest did their best to remain silent.

“Jorenus Cardinalis.”

“Seriously?”
“For the love of God Laurence.”
“Fine.”

Alfred would narrow his eyes at Laurence, shaking his head in disapproval. 

“Albarosa Cardinalis.”

Laurence gasped, turning to Ailred who did the same. Amadeus hesitantly raised his thumbs up. 

"It uhh.." Theon looked up, swallowing "We seem to be missing one vote?". A sigh of frustration swept across the room, with Laurence frantically summoning a pack of cigarettes as Amadeus started to look around the room. Cardinal Cyril had already departed, had he not voted? After hours of waiting: his vote was finally retrieved, with the new fatigued clergy continuing on their business as usual. 

The room bursted with applause after the long overdue announcement was made: some polite and some genuine, as his comrades gathered closer to congratulate him personally. The celebration in the room was short lived however, as aides rushed to bring the new High Pontiff to the red dressing chamber. There, his entry to his life as Pontifex would be carefully curated: from outfit, to music. 

ERAbouoxcu_CCElrQXbyU_vY0tMdCOLO-m2HrZMoUOUjCfzofP5TqFb9fcDOWKVPeQAYPgZLHPBYBpzRE3SpKo9YuSrBtafQoyx6DICCGY_VUpe-bz0MRR2DS9A1l3-vHCOVvlw

The Procession of His Holiness the High Pontiff Owyn III in the Providence Cathedral, 1802.

Standing before the Pontifical Throne, Laurence was surrounded by the Synod of James II. Cardinal Amadeus stood closest to him, he began the prayer of Penitence: 

“Almighty and most merciful Creator,
We have wandered and strayed from your ways
Like lost sheep. 
We have followed too much the devices and desires
Of our own hearts
We have left undone those things
That we ought to have done 
And there is no health in us
But you, O’Lord, have mercy upon us sinners.
Spare those who confess their faults.
Restore those who are penitent,
According to your promises declared to mankind
In Horen our Lord,
And grant, O most merciful Creator, for his sake,
That we may live a disciplined, righteous and godly life,
To the glory of your holy name.
So say we all.”

It was then that Laurence was presented to the rest of the clergy in nothing but a simple white robe, with the Synod stepping backwards to open up the view. Cardinal Amadeus continued “With the Lord Creator, our witness and guide, it has been divined that the Laurence of Kaedrin, born Laurence August Pruvia-Albarosa, has been willed to fulfill the seat of the Church Pontificate.”

Amadeus cleared his throat: 

Albarosa Cardinalis, acceptasne electionem de te canonice factam in Summum Pontificem?”

“Yes. I do so believe.”

“You have been ordained in our Holy Mother Church, your household names forsaken and your life devoted in sole service to the teachings of our Creator. The vows of your past vocations remain firm; now you must make the declaration of assent.”

An ancient scroll is summoned, to which Cardinal Amadeus recites

“The Church of Faithful is the One, Holy and Rightful Church of the Creator , worshiping the one true God, The Creator. It professes the faith uniquely revealed in the Holy Scrolls and set forth in the Faithful creeds, which faith the Church is called upon to proclaim afresh in each generation. Led by the Holy Light, it has borne witness to Faithful truth in its historic formulates, the Articles of Faith, The Book of Saints. In the declaration you are about to make, will you affirm your loyalty to this inheritance of faith as your inspiration and guidance under God in bringing the grace and truth of Horen to this generation and making Him known to those in your care?”

“I, Laurence of Kaedrin, do so affirm, and accordingly declare my belief in the faith which is revealed in the Holy Scrolls and set forth in the Faithful creeds, to which the historic formularies of the Church of the Creator bear witness; and in public prayer and administration of the sacraments, I will use only the forms of service which are authorized or allowed by the Canon.” Laurence replies. 

“Do you accept the Holy Scrolls as revealing all things necessary for eternal salvation through faith?”

“I do so accept them.”

“Will you be diligent in prayer, in reading Holy Scrolls, and in all studies that will deepen your faith and fit you to bear witness to the truth of the Word?”

“By the help of GOD, I will.”

"Will you lead your people in proclaiming the glorious Word of Horen, so that the good news of salvation may be heard in every place?"
"By the help of God, I will."

"Will you teach the doctrine of Horen as the Church of Faith has received it, will you refute error, and will you hand on the entire faith that is entrusted to you?"

"Will you be faithful in ordaining and commissioning ministers of the Church?"

Will you be gentle and merciful for Horen’s sake to those who are in need, and speak for those who have no other to speak for them?

"Will you endeavor to fashion your own life and that of your household according to the way of God and make your home a place of hospitality and welcome?"

"Will you work with your fellow servants in the Church for the sake of the kingdom of God?"

"Will you accept the discipline of this Church, exercising authority with justice, courtesy and love, and always holding before you the example of Horen?"

"Will you then, in the strength of the Holy Light, continually stir up the gift of God that is in you, that the good news of God may be proclaimed in all the Realm?"

"Speak thus then the oath of the Pontificate, with the conclave and God as witness."

"I vow to change nothing of the received Tradition, and nothing thereof I have found before me guarded by my God-pleasing predecessors, to encroach upon, to alter, or to permit any innovation therein; 

To the contrary: with glowing affection as her truly faithful student and successor, to safeguard reverently the passed-on good, with my whole strength and utmost effort; 

To cleanse all that is in contradiction to the canonical order, should such appear; to guard the Holy Canons and Decrees of our Saints and Pontiffs as if they were the divine ordinance of Heaven, because I am conscious of Thee, whose place I take through the Grace of God, whose Vicarship I possess with Thy support, being subject to severest accounting before Thy Divine Tribunal over all that I shall confess; 

I swear to God Almighty and the Favored son Horen that I will keep whatever has been revealed through Horen and His Successors and whatever the Saints and my predecessors have defined and declared. 

I will keep without sacrifice to itself the discipline and the rite of the Church. I will put outside the Church whoever dares to go against this oath, may it be somebody else or I. 

If I should undertake to act in anything of contrary sense, or should permit that it will be executed, Thou willst not be merciful to me on the dreadful Day of Divine Justice. 

Accordingly, without exclusion, We subject to severest excommunication anyone -- be it Ourselves or be it another -- who would dare to undertake anything new in contradiction to this constituted Tradition and the purity of the Faith and the Faithful religion, or would seek to change anything by his opposing efforts, or would agree with those who undertake such a blasphemous venture."

As Laurence’s oath comes to a close, Amadeus washes the face of Laurence and anoints his forehead with scented oils. 
"Cleansed of worldly taint, you are reborn in the Creator's vision. Your heart blessed in the eternal compassion and truth of Horen; your soul aflame with the benevolent justice and fervor of Owyn; your body awash with the incredulous miracles and charisma of Godfrey; your mind attuned to the unworldly wisdom and vigor of Siegmund."

Amadeus then garbs Laurence in the pontifical cloth, and bestows the pontifical ferula.

"By this you are known to all as preserver of truths and lord spiritual."

Amadeus then retrieves the radiant ring of St. Lucien, before sliding it upon the right ring finger of the anointed, and afterward, takes the pontifical mitre and rests it upon his brow.

“Pontifex Maximus, quo nomine vis vocari?”

Laurence looked around the room for a moment. His regnal name, a new name. He closed his eyes for a moment, looking up as he hoped for a name to enter his head. Then, a voice in his head spoke to him. He opened his eyes, whispering the name to Amadeus.

Amadeus then ordered for the doors to be opened, the public steadily spreading out across the sides. He spoke loudly and with determination.

"I announce to you a great joy: 
HABEMUS PAPAM!
The Most Eminent and Most Reverend Lord,
Laurence of Kaedrin, Pontifex Maximus Fidei
Who takes to himself the name:"

OWYN III.

“HABEMUS PAPAM!” the town criers exclaimed, as Owyn III was carried on his Sedia Gestatoria. “HABEMUS PAPAM - PAPA OWYN III! PAPA OWYN III!”.

White rose petals were thrown as the procession passed through the Cathedral. Some women exposing their bare chests with purple painted letters spelling ‘L A P’ were discreetly moved back into the Crowd, as others chanted “AVE CHIVAY!”. 

“GODANI JEST WIELKI” another would shout, as another would reply “DEUS VULT!”. The procession became louder and louder, as more people started to shout creeds into the room. Owyn III tried his best to focus, the thundering shouts thumping in his head. He managed to maintain his composure: looking serious and profound as he finally exited the Cathedral, on his way to Karosgrad.

While some might’ve wept, at least today, GOD smiled.

VTLmdUZDOL7OE1T1dMghnrQ7yTFje_OWOzddKv3kUgcxpb7lkJdxpo-EeNNvyy5Vm1Q6Qq-A271MhhV5eTXBbMcW1SM2k4tlEpDt3hh5g8A-0wg_r1dhcML3zByrhJLHW0OlqZA

High Pontiff Owyn III on his Mare ‘Anne of Novellen' - Official Pontifical Portrait painted by Robert Foltest Helvets, 1802.

fWQSacI4LZpY3V7CiOTvjxqulQw02QGYshS9KyGmJ6fQ3mw9-hESm4-NjqqIAFquAHvIDRL9SEr9AOzL6OaXl0O2hzUo3TOTunr7_90TDPqNH-mn_tAPkEQWUjnm9hrbP-xKNX4

Official crest of His Holiness the High Pontiff Owyn III. 

Edited by Draeris

The Secretariat Emerita, Anabel, sent her most devout prayers to the heavens from  the Cathedral of Providence, pleading to GOD for guidance and safety in light of this most August election to the sanctified throne. 

Robert Foltest Helvets overhears the news of a newly crowned High Pontiff - one distinctly familiar to his house and family. Though they had never met personally, Robert had been told stories in his youth by his father of Laurence August Pruvia, now Owyn III - stories of a formidable friendship between he and his grandfather the first Count Rochefort, and how the now Leader of the Faith had contributed immensely toward Owynsburg both politically and materialistically in its juvenile years.

Though not particularly religious or pious, the young Helvetii shows a rare instance of zealous proclamation - crossing the holy Lorraine across his chest in a biddance of good fortune to one of his deceased grandsires oldest friends.

Lajos would sign the Kaedrini cross as he heard the news of his old friend's ascension to the Pontificate. He remembers when he first meet him in the fields of Owynsburg shortly after the assassination of his beloved brother Krisztián and it was announced that he would fill his brother's seat. He remembers when his old friend expressed nervousness and hoped that he would be a worthy successor to his brother. With his ascension as Owyn III, he can say that he definitely has. "Congratulations old friend, me and my brother are proud of you. May you serve GOD well." He would say to himself, confident his brother would agree with him.

Holy Sir Nicolas signed the Hussariyan cross as he heard the news from his post guarding the Cathedral from all who attempted to enter and disrupt that sacred conclave. He had been the first to enter the apartments after the last Pontifex had passed, and the first to utter the words they all had known were coming. "Pontifex est Mortuus."

But GOD had a plan always and now, a new Pontifex had been chosen by Their Eminences. "Habemus Papem," he uttered, and adjusted his halberd.

Bishop Otho of Valwyck offered a prayer for the new High Pontiff "O God, Shepherd and King of all the faithful, graciously look down upon Thy servant Owyn III whom Thou hast been pleased to appoint pastor over Thy Church: grant, we beseech Thee, that by both word and example he may edify those who over whom he is set, and together with the flock committed to his care, may attain eternal life. Amen." would sign the Lorraine.

The enthroned Albarosan Cardinal, Pelagius, sits on a decorated wooden chair in a balcony within the Cathedral of Providence, swirling around a quaint glass of half empty Tequila as he looks beyond the city skyrise. A newly converted wood elf, known as a "Converso" in Hyspian, stops by & pours a bit more Tequila into the Cardinal's glass, before he whispers something into Pelagius's ear;

"Su Santidad.."

"Si?"

"El Eminencia, Laurence, has been elected Pontifico."

Before long, Pelagius bounces out of the chair, almost dropping his glass of Tequilla. "AYAYAYAYAYAY! The Pruvia did it!!" After a momentary pocket of excitement, the Santegian Cardinal makes his way over to a painting of Julia, bowing down before the Immaculate Mother as he recites a short Santegian prayer.

"Agradecemos el don de nuestros hermanos y hermanas Santegianos e Hyspanos. Haz que sigamos siendo un lugar de puertas abiertas, de corazón abierto, con capacidad para todos. Danos corazones generosos para que podamos seguir usando nuestros dones para apoyarnos unos a otros. Amén." Pelagius then makes the Lorriane Cross, standing up from his Prayer as he starts to write a letter of celebration for the newly elected Pontiff.

"A man who hates Haense and is hated by Oren, Lord guide us through these troubling times." Remarked Hubert to his comrades.