Twice Your Age AMA

Burnsider

Hello everyone! Burnsider here. It's my birthday and today I'm 36 years old. Three dozen years have gone by in a flash. I'm also coming up to 2 years in LOTC in just a couple of days. 

Had a fun ride so far. In that time, I've:

Been a Holy Knight

Been martyred

Been preggers with a future pontiff

Been held hostage for years by the High Elves

Been killed by Inferi

Been Regent of Vasiyeva

Invented the Vasoyevi

Been ST...twice

Been yelled at by Sham

And many more adventures. 

Looking forward to more. 

AMA

Happy birthday, here's your standard five:

1. What are some of your fondest RP experiences on the server?
  2. If you could be the NL of any existing LotC polity, past or present, which one would it be and why?
  3. Do you have a favorite LotC military uniform skin, and which one is it?
  4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you miss Armand and why is it 10?
  5. What are your thoughts on Vortex and Surge?

7 minutes ago, LithiumSedai said:
  • What are some of your fondest RP experiences on the server?
  • If you could be the NL of any existing LotC polity, past or present, which one would it be and why?
  • Do you have a favorite LotC military uniform skin, and which one is it?
  • On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you miss Armand and why is it 10?
  • What are your thoughts on Vortex and Surge?

1. Being busted out of Haelun'or by the halfling sheriffs, being a scullery maid in Ekaterinburg Palace and delivering food to really important meetings, getting arrested as Joaquin in Karosgrad and his "miraculous" escape, and my absolute favorite was the Red Diet of Karosgrad. 

2. Not exactly a nation, but I'd love to be High Pontiff. That said, if I had to choose a nation, I'm extremely proud of Vasiyeva and hope I can use my time as Regent to rebuild it to the nation it should be. 

3. I don't find too many uniforms to be interesting. But my favorite has always been the armor of the Almenodrim. 

4. Okay, funny story. When I was playing Nicolas, I was using MPM. Now, MPM doesn't work with /skin, but I didn't know that. So, whenever I saw Armand, I thought it was really lazy that his player would just keep his Corwin skin on all the time. When I found out (after Nico died) that I had literally never seen the right skin, I found it hilarious. 

4b. Ten. The man trusted Nico and, in all that tumult, Nico needed someone to. Because it seemed the world did not.

5. I hated Vortex. Still do. The inability to easily get crafting clothes made no sense. The fact that iron was common but copper was rare was baffling. And I still hate how hard it is to get building mats. That said, I do love the nation mines, which is better than that CT mine system. As to Surge, having not used it much, I can say that I love the concept of it. Not sure yet as to the execution. 

Should I join the WT so I can shill for the Wildlands being brought back?

38 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Should I join the WT so I can shill for the Wildlands being brought back?

Why would you want to hurt yourself? 

In all seriousness though, you have made a tremendous effort advocating for free build areas. The Staff have heard you. I agree with you, but WT does not. I'm not certain that your voice will be amplified by being WT. 

Also, don't ever join a staff team to be an advocate for a single thing. Join the team to improve LOTC as a whole by doing what the team does. You can advocate, absolutely, but that should not be the sole reason for applying. 

Happy Birthday!!

have you got any special plans for the day?

describe one of your favorite birthday memories

describe one of your favorite lotc interactions 

what are your thoughts on me?

whats your favorite color?

55 minutes ago, UnBaed said:

Happy Birthday!!

have you got any special plans for the day?

describe one of your favorite birthday memories

describe one of your favorite lotc interactions 

what are your thoughts on me?

whats your favorite color?

1. Not really. I have a nasty cold and there are intermittent thunderstorms all day today. I do have two disgustingly large porterhouses that will be going on the grill in a little bit though.

2. Going to Disney World (Magic Kingdom) and doing the three mountains in one day, Space, Big Thunder, and Splash.

3. Swearing Holy Sir Nicolas' life to an unborn child after the child was selected for greatness by Aeriel. The whole thing eventually got voided by Admins because the use of the Aengul was not approved, but it was really cool while it lasted.

4. I have heard great things about your roleplaying, but haven't had much of an opportunity to experience it myself. Give me more Unbaed.

5. As my 4-year-old reminds me every time he sees that color, my fave is green.

1. What did sham yell at you about? If it has happened multiple times, which was your favorite?

2. Which one of your characters has been your favorite to play and why?

3. What has been your favorite Eventline that you’ve either interacted with or helped run and why?

4. If you could have dinner with any player on LOTC, who would it be?

2 hours ago, Kholibrii said:

1. What did sham yell at you about? If it has happened multiple times, which was your favorite?

2. Which one of your characters has been your favorite to play and why?

3. What has been your favorite Eventline that you’ve either interacted with or helped run and why?

4. If you could have dinner with any player on LOTC, who would it be?

1. Multiple times. My favorite was when he tried to explain Canon Law to me.

2. It was absolutely Nicolas Barclay. Playing a Holy Knight during the papacy of Owyn III was absolutely amazing. It had intrigue, debate in and out of the church, assassination attempts, ecclesiastical trials, and more. Basically if there was a time to play one of these guys, that was the time. Plus, what a way to end a character!

3. My favorite is probably the Voidal Tears eventline. The Void is such an interesting idea, and reminds me more of 7th Sea than Warhammer 40k. So, the tears always reminded me of the Montaigne magic in that setting. "Don't open your eyes."

4. I'm choosing two. @MadOne, because he and I have been through it for the last two years, and @rep2k, because I want to eat cevapi and drink rakija with the man who has played my son and my father and my grandfather.

Yeah well what keeps you on this server? also happy bday

6 hours ago, Fie said:

Yeah well what keeps you on this server? also happy bday

A continued love of communal story making.

A very belated happy birthday from a fellow thirty-something year old friend! Cheers to you and many happy years to come!
A lot of the questions I would wish to ask have been answered already. 
Hmm...here's one: what, in your opinion, makes a good communal storyteller? 

5 hours ago, Charbi said:

what, in your opinion, makes a good communal storyteller? 

I believe in "Play to Lift" storytelling. 

The best role-play is generous role-play as opposed to selfish role-play. As I RP around Alamris, I ask myself if my play is giving other players time to shine and get the ability to enjoy themselves. In all play, we should endeavor to lift others into the spotlight and give them their moment. Sometimes it may mean letting the villain do his dastardly deed. And, of course, for the villain, it means letting others finally come and make you pay your dues. 

I know these are idealized words (some may even say naive) but after over two dozen years of this stuff, I'm appreciative of these lofty goals. And, if the community plays to lift, then it leads to other areas where staff can give players an almost radical level of trust.