What Is LoTC To You?

Telanir

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

LOTC is a place with rules that shut down a whole lot of conflict roleplay, long walk times that don't serve much purpose since you don't find much of interest on the way down to nations on said long walks, and a horrible economy that Vortex tried and failed to fix, merely making things more annoying without providing much economic or trade RP in the process.

Lots of stuff is still broken and I hope it all gets fixed. I hope we get NPCs working again. I hope we get the Hoo-Kah plugin back. I hope the bug with horses and the CT warps is fixed too so that using a horse is an actual solution to the horrendous walk times. I hope the rules are improved, coup rules of some form are added, war rules made more impactful, etc. I hope the remaining devs are able to get us to 1.16 and then 1.17 while still finding the time to remove the unpopular crafting side of Vortex as promised by nickrocky before he left the team.

It'll take a lot of work and effort to improve LOTC. I'd apply for staff to help out myself but I wanna have a life at the same time so that's probably not gonna work out.

EDIT: forgot to mention we also don't have rebellion rules, maybe I should make a rebellion rule suggestion one of these days

Based. I too hate model village RP -- let me steal boats and park them where the **** I want without having to ask KingErp67189 for permission. Make it so I don't have to navigate literally 6-7 minecraft staff departments and deal with what are basically overglorified bureaucrats for what should be a 15 minute convo in discord. Staff meddling in player communities e.g. the orks, and particularly shamanism has screwed the community more than you can imagine. Staff say that shamanism is not fit for purpose because the orks are too inactive when it it precisely the constant ******* with shamanism that contributes to players' lack of drive and motivation. Race locked magics are not bad. Having things that can be unique to a player base draws people to it. Why should I be a Raguk to learn Bloodsmithing (now removed, but point still stands) when one of my shaman buddies can take me to Gazigash and I can learn it without the trials and tribulations Raguk requires to learn it; why should I play with the orks when I can RP with dark-elf-shaman no. 156 and get them to teach it without having to interact with the community, and improve its shortfalls where I think they exist. Roleplay barriers require solutions -- this is what generates fun roleplay. The most fun I had on the server was when there was something seemingly insurmountable to overcome. 

Other than that, LoTC is literally the only place where I can write and have consistent inspiration. Whenever I sit down to write something normal I always hit a roadblock. This invariably means I will be here forever.

Why God, why have you punished me like this. 

Edited by grubgoth_wud

As insignificant I  am to the LOTC community, I've hung around for around 9 years. As much as I jokingly talk about how i'm miserable in this server, in reality it helped me through a lot of IRL ****. It was an amazing escape from reality and a place where I met many life long friends.

Dingo please don't take my items away from me.

Hi everyone, I’m sorry but I think my wording was a bit confusing! None of us wish to pretend that LoTC is without fault, but we’re simply celebrating what endears LoTC to us here—& experiences and stories that make this server special and keep bringing us back.

I’ve cleaned up a few posts that are better suited as feedback. Please direct any anger to me and not our wonderful staff—send me a message in private if your shared story was deleted and you feel it shouldn’t have. Thank you for sharing so far—each individual story and experience is worthy and we’re loving reading them. (:

(Yes this is unironically just a feel-good thread to remember good times—there is no shortage of places to report feedback and we continue to take it seriously—just this isn’t the target for it).

I got away from orcs trying to enslave me by dancing. They caught me traveling on the road out to deliver a piano. I asked if there is any way they could let me go. He said "dance.". So I danced rolling a 7 out of 20. He then said "dance faster!" I did and rolled 20 out of 20. I danced so fast and well the orc let me go.

While I am new to the serve compared to other people (having only been here for 6 months), I think LotC to me is a place where I can work with others to not just write, but be apart of interesting stories that can form and develop. Where ideas can be put onto paper and used if they can contribute to the story.

However, I hear a lot of jaded opinions from other people. Some say that lore team has jaded the meaning of LotC by devolving lore, some say they have not. In the end, LotC to me is just an adventure that I want to have an experience with, write lore, and enjoy myself. This is a community based upon a grand fantasy setting where diffrent races, magics, and gods interact. As someone once told me (good words from sorcerio): Lord of the Craft is not driven by the Story Team, Moderation Team, or Admin Team. It is driven by the player base as a whole. It is up to everyone to try and make a story, to bring about new and exciting roleplay, rather then simply being up to a few people who have just as much time as the rest of us. Staff Teams are not inhuman writers!

Thus, in the end, my opinion of LotC is just to have fun. Write things, see them get shut down, accepted, and move on. To put enjoyment behind all you to, and excel at the ideals that everyone has a chance to be a good roleplayer if given enough time.

I'll go ahead and give a serious answer.

LotC is an incredible project for those interested in either writing or playing out what they wrote. What do I mean?

LotC provides a community of writers & audience members to gauge how well lore is written, how interesting the lore would be in execution, on an easy-to-use medium (Minecraft) to play out characters and concepts in.

Spoiler

Since I know a number of people are more interested in "the issues", I think people perpetuate their lack of self-discipline (in not getting too consumed in such an interested game) and blame the game. Unfortunately I did this a long time ago, but wised up. Likewise, the other issue that seems to endemic is not coming to terms with the practical constraints and limitations of Minecraft as a medium.

I joined the Lord of the Craft back when I was in middle school. I am no finishing my final year in university.

This server was originally a place for me to express my imagination and to live out fantasies. I was very creative as a child and I loved to pursue mediums that could let me indulge in escapism. I was an avid reader, theatre kid and writer. I wrote silly stories about ducks and "eraser men." Once I joined the server, I finally had an outlet for those ideas.

What does the Lord of the Craft mean to me? It means expression and productivity.

my dwarven magic simulator but without dwarven magic. :( 

pain

I joined LoTC at the beginning of 2014 when my college roommate convinced me standing in one spot on minecraft was somehow fun. I thought it was just another way to bond with her but through that decision doors were opened to some of the best experienced of my life (so far). I loved the slice of life aspects of being able to life an escapism fantasy life while the conflict, politics, and wars made those quiet slice of life moments more precious. I loved even more the ability to express myself through writing and being able to meet others that wanted to do the same.

Within a year or two of joining the server, I joined every staff team I possibly could- AT, FM, ET, GM, until finally I was an Admin! It was so much fun to meet all different people that were just as passionate to make this server just as welcoming as I felt it was when I joined. I didn't always agree with the other staff members but we were all trying our best to make the server what we felt would be best. Being on staff was probably the worst my mental health dropped too- depression, isolation, extreme jadedness over my relationships. It was probably the first time I'd use the word "toxic" outside of being salty over PVP goons raiding. The hours upon hours turned from enjoying roleplaying with my friends to suddenly stressing over helping others have fun, without really thinking about my own health and happiness. It took stepping away for a while to reevaluate priorities and heal to the point where I can now return and truly enjoy myself again.

But this server brought one of the happiest lights of my life. I met my husband while randomly roleplaying one day in the Fringe! He accidentally yeeted himself off a wall in front of me and straight into my life. I also have met some of my best friends on this server that came to my wedding, supported me in my times of need, and people I truly love with all my heart. LoTC might just be an in-depth roleplaying server on the surface but to me it is also a community that I love and know I can call upon through anything.

I think I can sum it up pretty well by a gif I made last year

giphy.webp

All the memes aside, LotC will always have its up and its downs, but good memories were made on here, despite it all, and I hold those memories dearly with a strange fondness. 

a nightmare, i think 3/4 of the time i spent on server was entirely pointless

at least now i can tell myself i'm doing much better in comparison to how i was living a couple of years ago, and i met some probably lifelong friends so watever.

but i hope all of u realize the insane amount of time you're wasting here if you're playing this for more than 4 hours a day, there's so much actual productive **** you could be doing. why aren't u doing it ? you could do Literally anything else and it'd be better spent tenfold than logging on to minecraft. idk, FL studio and ableton live is free, you can get samples from splice for like not even five dollars i think, you could just actually learn to make music electronically, and how much does a pencil and paper cost? draw something idfk, touch grass ??? do Anything bro, you can do it.

and whatever you do, if you do it, i wish u best of luck. pce

LotC is a contested topic among many, I've spent almost a decade on here and had my fair share of horrible and fantastic experiences. What LotC is to me is something that is a bigger community experience that allows for creatives to absolutely flourish in an almost uncontested environment, where their ideas are tested and tried against a multitude of minds to ultimately carve and create your own skills. Each Community has its negatives and I believe ours is basically so focused on the negative aspects that we rarely reflect on why we all stay on this server, if the server was genuinely so bad, those that hate it would not be on it, those that speak ill have good memories of friends/communities or roleplay experiences that have made their lives either better or more enjoyable.

The biggest thing to look at this is to not just treat it like a game such as league of legends, where you vent out whatever you want to some randoms online to make yourselves feel better. This is simply a platform to show the hobbies of creative writing and a multitude of other talents that many have on here (skinning, drawing, media etc.) You should definitely not be ashamed of spending time on the Craft if it was productive, what you should focus on is the good times and thinking of what keeps you here. The negatives can be dwelled about in every single other thread on this server and it's something I'm sure we all have a pet peeve, major annoyance or even hatred about certain aspects of the server that sour the entire experience. This is a place where I can explore my own creative talents without feeling shamed or outcasted by people in the "real world", where if I talked about how I wanted to eventually write homebrew DnD Worlds where people can immerse themselves and characters in, I'd be laughed out and ridiculed by people or met with a strange "eh". This is a safe avenue for me to pursue my own nerdier interests without feeling like I'm the only person in the world doing it, or the only people that roleplay are the weird smelly guys down at the local gameshop who oversexualise their characters on tabletop characters and genuinely do not care for a story. We're basically all a bunch of normal people who try to enjoy and have fun on the server, there are ups and downs. But we're still here after a decade, and I hope the legacy continues on to help those that were in my situation for way long after I have left the server.