[✗] [Infernal Alchemy Addition] Soul Coins

BDanecker

Constructive criticism, I do not see.

That aside, and as someone who knows you BD, don't feel discouraged by this. If anything, use it as further inspiration. You do a lot for this server despite problems and setbacks you’ve faced, and if we were to lose you, we’d all be the lesser for it. I cannot comment on the piece personally as I’m too smooth brain, (don’t oft read pieces I wouldn’t see my character use,) but I’m sure with some reworks and other small changes you’d make a fine piece. You got this brotha. And if not this I’m certain you’ll use what you’ve gathered from this to come up with something even cooler 😤

10 hours ago, BDanecker said:

I appreciate the feedback! Genuine honest feedback is welcomed. I honestly want them to be possible for having Devil Deals, but I figured that having them be used for both the dead and the living might be too complicated and not make sense. There are other lore pieces such as golemancy and sorvian sculpting that requires the crafter to impart a partition of their soul into their work. Seeing as both of those lores are fine and do not create any negative drawbacks for the crafter, I found it acceptable for these coins to do the same, and not affect those who die and go to CT. Your "remaining life" idea is a good one, though it could already be incorporated into the current idea, with souls being stronger in a creature's prime, for example. And yeah, the whole Witcher and Monster Hunting scene is why I wrote the lore in the first place, as well as giving it a bit of an underlying spin for a tasteful and original lore idea. 

I'm glad you've taken my words so well! Now to speak of the words you've said, I can agree, that a system that would allow the coins to work with both the living and the dead would be more complicated and would need to be thought deeper on. But I can see various ways of going about that. For example a simple difference between the living and the dead variations of the coins is that a living coin can only work on the willing living, they can not be tricked, forced, or pressured into the deal. But be fully willing to put their soul into the bargain that was given. While the dead coins don't actually grasp the soul, but what lingers in the body shortly after death. The energy of life that glistens with a crimson lustre within the blood that slowly oozes out of the unmoving body of the defeated. Both being soul coins, but while one has a link to a whole soul the other would have a sliver that didn't pass on. Its only a example, but its something that could be humoured. 

As for the lore's you've suggested, those items come with the crafter giving a piece of their own soul, not taking the souls of others. A crafter would go about such a thing knowing that a portion of their very being was going into the piece that they were working on, while the other is a unwilling soul that will protest and struggle with the backing of any entitles that already have tethers attached to that soul. The latter promotes roleplay from the crafter and personal scenes, while the former promotes the crafters of the coins to go out and kill anyone, and anything they can get their hands on to make coins for the benefits of their infernal masters. They promote and encourage different kinds of roleplay despite both having a connection to souls. So that should be thought on. 

Another thought, but one that only brushed through my mind while taking another read through while writing this up. Is which part of the lore more important to you? Looking over the written works and culture behind the coins it appears to be posted with the infernal side being the focus, and the key to the coins. Its only when we got the end of the last paragraph that anything related to monster hunting is included, and instead of it being the hunters and adventurers being the focal point, its about them being tricked and used as 'harvesters' for the souls of the infernal. 

Which I don't see working if monster hunters are meant to be the focal point and goal for the coin themselves. The men and woman that go out hunting monsters and fighting the horrors of the world aren't fools, they'd have ties with magic users, or even be magic users themselves which would allow them to investigate and figure out what the coins actually do. They would be able to figure out that their damning the souls of the creatures they kill and giving them over to infernal forces with enough time. Some would cherish the idea of damning the souls of their monsterous foes to the hells, others would be horrified at what they had unknowingly did, while others may even be enraged and seek to hunt the infernal alchemist down for their trickery. 

Which isn't a bad thing, its a whole mass of roleplay that could go through if the coins were used as said, to trick others to do the dirty work for the infernal. But with the focal point as it seems to be by the writing the coins are more geared towards those with ties or are part of the infernal forces themselves and adding something to their lore and abilities over something that is meant to be geared towards monster hunters as a focus. 

I might not say this to you enough but your drive to keep trying to add interesting aspects to the story being told in the LoTC universe really inspires me.

This is really what I think is what makes Lord of The Craft unique, players that want to add new things to the story, that work hard to make their ideas have a place, in LoTC players have the choice to either go by and interact with what is already written, or write themselves make the server more interesting.

Keep doing this, keep inspiring others, keep writing meaningful additions to the story. I'm glad LoTC has someone like you among its playerbase. We need more players like you, untiring. 

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.