THE END OF THE LINE

Statherian

THE END OF THE LINE

The fall of a bull

HT8_ay1MATZ3liFopxmyxHestFGUuWh41C5ae2jTVLL1ep8It-naPsGETHdM4gLpUeJePuXhhzeFIpdUToMevonrFIn2xL7I6O_gKTQovB4px8rN5WVWf3cmv5bJLBYgkDKYdlAc

The Attenlund was known as a land of great troubles, one the Haeseni people had managed to tame. Many threats had loomed there, but the Highlanders of the North never seemed discouraged by them. House Kortrevich was no exception to this trend, having settled their new County within the hilly forests east of Karosgrad. Jerovitz as the Count had dubbed it, a proud holding sitting near the Orenian borderlands. It is where he had moved his family to after Krusev had fallen, and where he ushered in a new dawn for the family he cared about so dearly. The path back to the Haeseni capital was long, but familiar to Jan as well. The path brought him peace and gave him a place to think, to come to terms with all that had been happening around him.

The Aulic Envoy began his journey to the capital, looking over his shoulder one last time to gaze upon Jerovitz.

Ij4J60hkmKCOH7JXlIxBWvTz044exv-_SOq_iLucb3ui672kp9sBWXSdEYojmYoSqXrZdfyxEIlgj2acym-sUr1T0gY9lMj6mfE1UCzWIH4gvCe-VvFkZXKEMtGm0muUvkOhOUuB

House Kortrevich had faced many losses over the years. Rickard, Viktor, Juliyus. They were all people he had looked up to, people he always admired. All he wanted was to make them proud and to not let his family down. Jan got his family a County, but he never felt like he did enough for them. He had little time to spend with his children or Tatiana, a regret he had always carried with him. The burden of being on the Aulic Council had begun to take its toll already, perhaps he should not have accepted Sigismund’s offer? He had no choice in the matter either way, rejecting such a position would only prove harmful for the family, or so Jan told himself. All he ever wanted was for his family to be respected once again like it had before, no matter the cost. Screaming at his children and wife, it was all a result of the weight on the Count’s shoulder.

Jan patted himself down when he began his journey, realizing he had left his blade back home. Did it really matter? The way to Karosgrad was littered with settlements from the Haeseni nobility. It was by no means an abandoned path, and he had never encountered trouble along the way before. Jan was never a fighter either way, a weapon offered him little more than some confidence.

The final lengths of the path home crossed the thick forests near Krusev, his old home. It had been quite some time since Jan had visited the ruins, it was better to not dwell on the now decade old battle any longer. Karosgrad was close now, a sense of relief coming to Jan as he was soon to see the red walls of the capital again. Jan came to a standstill, taking in the scenery in all its beauty. The chirping of birds, the gentle rustling of the branches never failed to bring him some peace.

All of the peace and quiet soon ended however, with  heavy thumping and the snapping of branches seemingly all around him.

uFk0OqyoLm4aKhwlXiQSo1V8XW_6oMR4TaIyE73aEBr7L3cCEPbeoGVAKzy_itn4mD8BEeIB-uKSn_f0fFuvqef5FAMN7cvEueb7l2_0RpKeynoCfZynRX7tsYfjWtGtgoniN_S0

Jan had never been a fighter. He avoided joining the army like the plague, and wanted nothing more than to lock himself in his office. Even travelling to other nations without a Knight by his side worried him deeply. It is why he was always so hesitant to take his children on journeys to Urguan, no matter how often they nagged him for it. What if any harm would come to them because their father was unable to fight back? Jan would never find out, as his final breath was already drawn.

Perhaps someone heard him, although the ruins of Krusev did not see many visitors. Blood gurgling screams were all that escaped the Count, whatever it was that struck him bringing its devastation down upon the Aulic Envoy. His fate had been sealed, if only he hadn’t stopped along the path. Would he ever be missed, or would he be replaced and forgotten like he had always feared would happen? Jan knew that this was the end, that he would never make it home ever again. He hoped Vladrik was ready, he hoped all of House Kortrevich would be safe. Vladrik, Viktoriya, Emelya, Vasilia and Niko, they would soon learn what had become of their father.

Whoever the poor soul would be to stumble upon Jan Otto, it would be a scene engraved in their minds for years to come.

xFQSX95HwRCaqiRDRhjWHKZL1pP3zI-EgZTTXnom-MmID4XirBYjQaEabKS9dGnvY1xGW7u3Ee397Dy9gr1yMd5Mz4LKMKv7Y3wjIIe5Lrp8e6Je6_3JjSDlr8xMN_3JQzmGoWXV

Rickard, Viktor, Markus and Otto, Jan would finally be reunited with the many Patriarchs of House Kortrevich. His dearest cousin Walter and uncle Juliyus, all would be there to welcome him to his final destination, his true home. He had not disappointed his ancestors in the end, a thought that at long last brought the Count peace. Jan was not the one to reclaim the Margraviate of Korstadt as he had always dreamt, nor was he a perfect leader by any means. He knew however that he gave House Kortrevich a future. His children had many opportunities ahead of them, so long as they would take them.

M4uQt7CMabvzecoeHM3A-C-yXyGvRwiK37u25k5n1mWY6Nx5gu0SkmJ7HR0jQis3lZxQ8S3FZorPa1NkmKOTioXGJR6vNY8-63wXbho6pgyEs3dUviiNYfoZ2sSQnd-cNDwExpRQ

Jan Otto Kortrevich

'The Envoy'

Born on the 20th of the Grand Harvest, 1798 in Krusev, Haense

Died on the 9th of the First Seed, 1842 in Krusev, Haense

Spoiler

OOC: I had some time on my hands and felt like writing something, so here’s this long overdue PK post. See this as my official retirement from this mess of a server.

I always planned House Kortrevich to be my final stop on LOTC, as I’ve been here for far too long and I just couldn’t push myself to log on anymore. The motivation wasn’t there, and I wasn’t going to keep playing just to lead a minecraft family when I didn’t enjoy it anymore. The enjoyment I got was mostly because of the people around me, but not the actual server itself. I do want to thank everyone who was a part of this journey, and especially the Haense community who took me in with open arms. I was completely new to the nation and encountered one of the most pleasant groups of people I’ve ever been a part of.

Very special thanks to all of Haense. I’m not going to mention specific people here as I’ll just miss out on someone. You guys have been great.

Remember that this is just a game and that nothing you do here matters in the slightest. Be nice to others around you, it’s minecraft you buffoons.

In the seven skies would Erich meet Jan again. They were not fond of each other, and their interactions were not so pleasant. Yet, after his passing, had the former Duke left back his aimless, unnecessary anger and his quarrel. He'd see Jan approach, and give the man a dip of his head, he used to respect him during his much younger years, and so like before, did he find respect for the man now, he found respect in his goals and his ambition, albeit, like himself, their journeys were cut short. Up in the seven skies, he'd dip his head with a smile towards the Count.

Nikolai Mikhail Kortrevich, though born of high nobility, did not have the best of luck early on. Though he was not always the closest with his siblings from the youngest age, nor his parents, he still knew they loved him. He knew, even if it took him years to realize, that the harsh decisions made by his father, though hurtful, was in Nikolais best interest, and kept him safe early on in his curses. 

He still remembers it like it was yesterday, being told of his father's death by his sister Emelya as they sat in the Ruins. The hands of the tiny eight year old tightening in anger, grief settling in. Of course, he thought, it had to be his father Godan took.

Even now, at Seventeen, Nikolai would often think of his father. Sadness overtaking him as he remembered that Jan never got to meet Nikolai's betrothed, Guinevera... Or got to be there for his future grandchildren, or see the accomplishments of the other Kortrevich children. However, Nikolai did hope that when his own time came, the life ahead of him will have been enough to make his father proud. 

Ooc note:

Spoiler

All my homies hate marb, he should have left earlier

Emelya Eloise Kortrevich loved her father greatly. That is why it struck her so greatly when she learned of her father's death, her mother in the archway outside the keep of Reinmar informing her in hushed tones that a monster had taken her father from this world. Initially, Emelya lashed out at her mother and later her father's cousin Anders at their whispers months prior at court where they had spoken ill of him.

Directing her grief into anger could not keep her from sorrow. She spent nights in the catacombs beneath the Knight's Table before Dame Primrose, begging her for guidance. Once she got herself to return to Jerovitz, she slept in the chapel for weeks before finally forcing herself to return inside the keep. Every memento about the place brought memories of her father to light, everything causing a recollection of some event where she had spoken to him.

But she persevered. She wished that she could have told her father that she had been named the first Karoskadet in the Brotherhood of Saint Karl, but she knew he would be proud of her. He always was proud of her. She knew her father would want her to continue on, to work towards her raison d'être: becoming a Dame. He always believed in her. Her father told her that she would become like Dame Primrose Kortrevich someday, that he saw in her the determination to achieve this. He always loved her.

Emelya Eloise Kortrevich had to be the first of her siblings to accept his death, that her father was not coming back, so she could be there to help her other siblings through this. She wanted to be a Dame who inspired others with the hope to fight on and she had to start with her family.

For every event in her life following, she knew he was there, he was watching. When she slew her first monster, when she received her starsteel sword at her presentation, when she interviewed for her squireship, when she slew a harpy in the mountains of Hefrumm, when she dueled her knight mentor and earned her scar through her lip, when she left to the Rimevald for training and slew a polar bear to make a pelt; she knew her father was always with her, in her heart.