My time in Oren & the problem I'm having

CanadaMatt

guy complaining he got banned from a discord

80 thousand upvotes

you guys should stop using this stupid gamer chat app, go outside, go swing on a swing run your hand through some grass say hi to that cute girl/boy from school. it's early summer the weather is beautiful almost everywhere and you only get one shot at youth which is fleeting and precious. if i had known what i was giving up i would have never wasted so much of my childhood worrying about this stupid dogshit

On 5/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, CanadaMatt said:

Sucks that im being OOCLY shunned by a community iv been apart of in the end, this kinda turned into a rant of sort but if any questions come up feel free to ask and ill awnser. 

When I first joined in 2012, my first friends on the server were the Azogs; I joined the Teutonic Order as a New Player and continued that way for three or four years. None of those people talk to me anymore. I helped Esterlen build the Johannian Dynasty stuff and helped out with the Novellen stuff. By the time Nectorist couped, I'd been pushed out entirely; everything I had worked on was killed and put to bed.

I've met many people on the server. I've given a lot to people on this server who have decided to ditch, betray, or dip out because of convenience when asked to do the same. It sucks, but it happens outside of the server, too. Personally, I've enjoyed having you around when we played in the MOI together, Matt, and I hate to say that the community hasn't changed in my experience. Staff will harass or threaten to ban based on cliques, and players will do their worst in the same way.

My best advice is to move on, man, find where you fit in, find the people who will stay in your corner, and have fun. If you think you're being excluded, then **** the people doing it. They aren't worth your time. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in playing on the server at all if it wasn't for Lion or Nectorist. This new Oren has been pretty accepting of me, but that isn't everyone's experience.

I'm happy to have you, and if you're still in on RPing in Oren, I'll be very open to helping you get through it if you want to stay.

Edited by Tiresiam

Fish are cool

Good on you Matt for speaking up when you felt unheard. Too many of us don’t do that and are left with questions unanswered. The whole civil war really did put a great rift in what was a large and active community. Unfortunately it has also caused sour feelings on both sides. I can honestly say that the waters are finally settled and the tempers have begun to cool. Balian is doing balian things, oren is doing oren things.

personally, I chose to stick to irp choices when choosing the fate of my personas. I really wanted to stick with Oren at one point but was torn between friends and the nation I had so desperately clung to for social interaction. But in the end I did what my personas would do, two going to balian and one toeing the line. I left the Oren discord after the rift because I just didn’t feel comfortable, nothing specific to comment on about that but just an overall discomfort. But I still held hopes to go and possibly RP with old friends in Oren on the nomad persona. I visited for the first time after the paste out of curiosity, and documented my thoughts on the paste in the balian discords chat, since I knew several people there had wanted to go check out the paste but were too scared of their personas being attacked. Generally, my viewpoint on the build itself was negative, I did not and still do not like it, though that’s once more just my opinion. Well, as I was tabbed out for a period of time, one of orens leadership came over to my persona and started criting me with a sword (I think sword and not punching, health went down very quick but again I was tabbed out for most of it) until I tabbed in and frantically typed to stop. They made comment to me eluding to knowing I was making comments about the build, that they see it all, etc etc. ok, so you see me commenting. That’s fine. I tab out again and tab back in when I hear blocks placed. The leadership person had placed a sign in front of me saying “balian refugee” but broke it quickly after I tabbed in. They hovered around for a bit, and whilst I hadn’t intended to cause any issue, others were urging me to make a modreq on the person. Peer pressure, I did make a simple modreq just hoping that would get them to leave me alone. Funny enough, as the invisible mod came around, he placed yet another sign and before I could read it, he broke it and the mod punched him off the bridge we were on.

now, this is stupid trolling and meming, I’m not dense and I have a sense of humor, but I told them to stop and I did not like it. That should be enough. If it was any random player then I wouldn’t care at all. But the thing that put me off from going back to oren even on other personas was that this person was high leadership. 

anyone can say I’m being over sensitive, anyone can say I can’t take a joke. It doesn’t negate my perspective or opinion. Tbh I have nothing against lionhz, I in fact respect how he made an expose video on a certain ToS player. The mass majority of Oren’s community I have no issues with. But I think that with all nations, there’s a certain level of protectiveness when it comes to ooc mentality, and that can end up driving people away from the community. Well I’m not re-reading this to proofread, sorry if it’s dis jumbled. That you again Matt for bringing this discussion to the table!

You know I used to always enjoy roleplaying in Oren but now just feels like nothing is happening anymore. No one cares about plays like they used too. Like I always wanted to be a ward but I still have no idea what that does for you or how it helps people and feels like I get stuck in the back of the crowd and ignored. I try my best to be around when I can but I dunno.

Sometimes I feel like I don't even belong anymore. Maybe that is just me. Like ever since I lost my main account and had to get a new one people are like "Oh you are that person" then I just get ghosted. It hurts. I am a friendly person or try to be. I know I make mistake lots of people do.

Just feel nice to feel more included into things instead of getting occ hate like someone said "I am not helping you" just because I was looking for help.

I usually don't say to much but now I am. Just hope it gets better or least I find a place to belong

my best advice here is to reach out to people who are leaders in the community and speak to them (sorry if you have or whatnot, I honestly haven’t read all the comments). these big posts may change some, but in the end they usually just annoy people. I suppose if it helps you feel heard that also is important (but coming from from someone who was a leader reaching out personally and waiting for a response is the best). 

if they don’t reply to you, then go to a better community that is willing to respect you. trust me when I say it’s not just oren. I’ve been around so many different communities and stuff like this, the feeling of being blacklisted, seems to be a sentiment people feel in each community. I also experienced this, but the best you can do is talk to people, and if they don’t listen- move on. 

either way, you’re a good guy Matt and I hope you find a place to enjoy on this server. always thought you were a solid rper and fun to be around when we did interact 

On 5/14/2022 at 6:09 PM, NotEvilAtAll said:

Does anyone else here have anecdotes about OOC blacklisting or is this just a one-off misunderstanding kinda thing? I'd like to hear more stories on this.

This was from a long time ago, but comes off as relevant. When I was Queen of Oren during the Duke's War (if you weren't around during/don't remember that period in Vailor, it was basically OG Savoy vs. what became Haense) I was frequently locked up inside the city and even disallowed from leaving the palace without protection, because if I so much as breathed away from the watchful eyes of the Amyas I was ambushed. One time I got physically locked, I think somebody literally privated the doors, inside a building just inside(!!!) the gates and attacked.. Lmao.

So I had alts(given I was a child, it never occurred to me to come up with a more creative solution to being limited IRP), one of which was on the opposite side of the war.

I had friends on all sides; the warring factions were fairly close knit as vassal and liege until the war, and each of my characters were created far prior to it. Come the war, there were suspicions cast at me from pretty much everybody OOC. I refused to leak for anyone or get involved in that way; eventually they were able to trust me but it absolutely took time, regardless of my history of neutrality beforehand.

Ultimately I blame it on our collective youth. I may have been one of the youngest people entangled directly with the upper cliques, yet almost none of us were adults. I consider that explanation enough for the loyalism displayed.

Although the following year after it all ended, Savoy was dethroned and the Kingdom of Haense was founded as a vassal under the HOE, I played in the latter's royal household. Ever the diplomat I hung around in the Orenian capital as an unofficial Haense rep, or at least that's what I imagined myself as. What occurred there that I do not like to discuss, resulted in my expulsion IRP and OOC. Things before and after that were overall tense between Haense and Imperial Oren, not too unlike Savoy and proto-Haense.

It devolved into another civil war quickly from there, which funnily enough I have been told allegedly was kickstarted in part due to how my character was treated. I reckon it's possible the Imperial faction would have accepted me back on another character, perhaps equally as much not. Regardless, I felt rejected and ostracized- Years later those that pushed me out apologized profusely, which helps along with simply having matured since, but is telling of the mindset these situations can put people in.

I speak nothing factual of nor comparatively toward the current events being I am entirely uninvolved, except to say that these kinds of problems seem inherent to civil wars. I think it's a feature, not a bug.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, un-w said:

I hate that "bait" nowadays is people saying something mind numbingly dumb, people calling them dumb, and that person going "HUR HUR GET BAITED XDD I GOT YOU SO GOOD"

isn't there an old stick figure meme about this "haha i was only PRETENDING to be stupid" and then no one laughs and everyone leaves? if it helps you as it does for me, on the flip side of things, some people are using what's known as tone tags or tone indicators. the most popular version of this is the /s for sarcasm even from people who don't use any and-or aren't aware of other tone tags, and i figure the second most popular is /j or /jk.

I commented earlier but thought I would comment more as I too was blacklisted from discords and was kill on sight when retrieving items following Lions win. I am personally one of the biggest opponents to this new regime in roleplay and OOC because I’ve seen this go down before and it results in the complete death of a nation. I will not name names but you know who you are who keep blacklisting people and killing communities one after another. 

On 5/15/2022 at 2:42 AM, Budaq said:

LOTC is a server of communities , gotta stick to 1

Petition to crucify Budaq

Don't know what's up with the whole Oren ooc shit but you'll always be my friend acquaintance matt