A Discussion on 9.0 Region Design

Xarkly

A prevalent issue is that, these dead regions are perfectly fine, it's that nothing is ever put into them. Take Arcas for example, Urguan had massive caverns of bare stone that had a lot of potential, but nothing was ever evolved from them until much later in the map. The same applies to Almaris, as the caves are left unfinished and clearly world edited, as if given up on half way through and just sealed off.

Understandably, the world team has a deadline to meet the moment that they announce the next map. These dead areas aren't a result of poor map design or any flaws, they're signs of underdevelopment, likely from not having enough time to think of anything to put there.

As far as incentive to even go out there, there's plenty of things one could do, such as adding sealed off event entrances for later use or utilitizing the node system in creative and clever ways, like a ruined keep that's overgrown and at the top a rare herb node sits, or maybe literally just a really neat place to RP at for events players or st can host.

Possibly one of the biggest advantages of putting interesting things out in these dead areas, is giving unique and already completed areas for small groups such as spooks or even a poltergeist haunt, or perhaps a new monument or landmark to settle around. Rather than just having the player be the only source of inspiration for their establishment, imagine they come across a giant mushroom out in a forest, suddenly there is the potential for them to form their own story around it, when in reality it serves no other purpose in the world lore than just being a feature of the land.

18 minutes ago, GoodGuyMatt said:

babe wake up new conorpost @Fionn__TWG

Too bad it won't go anywhere. Map design crazy these days, lead by the ST, and ScreamingDingo, who I personally hate

34 minutes ago, Reece Nolan said:

A prevalent issue is that, these dead regions are perfectly fine, it's that nothing is ever put into them. Take Arcas for example, Urguan had massive caverns of bare stone that had a lot of potential, but nothing was ever evolved from them until much later in the map. The same applies to Almaris, as the caves are left unfinished and clearly world edited, as if given up on half way through and just sealed off.

Understandably, the world team has a deadline to meet the moment that they announce the next map. These dead areas aren't a result of poor map design or any flaws, they're signs of underdevelopment, likely from not having enough time to think of anything to put there.

As far as incentive to even go out there, there's plenty of things one could do, such as adding sealed off event entrances for later use or utilitizing the node system in creative and clever ways, like a ruined keep that's overgrown and at the top a rare herb node sits, or maybe literally just a really neat place to RP at for events players or st can host.

Possibly one of the biggest advantages of putting interesting things out in these dead areas, is giving unique and already completed areas for small groups such as spooks or even a poltergeist haunt, or perhaps a new monument or landmark to settle around. Rather than just having the player be the only source of inspiration for their establishment, imagine they come across a giant mushroom out in a forest, suddenly there is the potential for them to form their own story around it, when in reality it serves no other purpose in the world lore than just being a feature of the land.

Yeah, obviously a lot of the suggestions here demand some more work.

However, I disagree that these things are hindered by deadlines. There is no deadline for an LotC map other than social demand - this isn't an insignificant factor, but it's not a decisive one either. We've been on Almaris for, what, two years now? And 9.0 development has only just began. While timeframes are certainly something to keep in mind, I don't think there's any real time pressure, and Staff certainly doesn't think so either based on the time it's taken to start developing this next map.

I think that narrative/interesting regions should definitely be finished before map launch -- I've seen it happen twice now where Map Dev Teams say "Oh, we'll build the event stuff after launch", and then momentum/energy is completely lost and it never gets done (Arcas being a prime example). 

these takes are consistently amazing- a regrettably apt terminology in ‘dead space’ for Almaris, I do agree we could all use a few more flavourful region designs next time around.

Let’s hope we can make it happen.

A good bunch of suggestions that sound like it will add a lot of flavour to the next map, it is a shame this will be ignored due to certain players unjustified hate for its author.

All the memorable biomes this map are memorable for being dog shit. You don't need high fantasy or 'special' biomes for them to be memorable or 'good', you just need a biome that establishes itself as unique when compared to others, something that is explicitly unique.  You recognize a forest as being unique amongst its peers, such as exclusively having pine trees/oak trees, or a forest that gives a 'dark', 'evil' vibe. This universally applies to most other biomes as well. The problem LotC has faced this map is that unique biomes were mad that were terrible from the get go, so they get remembered for being shitty. All the other biomes are just, not unique.

8 minutes ago, Elennanore said:

All the memorable biomes this map are memorable for being dog shit. You don't need high fantasy or 'special' biomes for them to be memorable or 'good', you just need a biome that establishes itself as unique when compared to others, something that is explicitly unique.  You recognize a forest as being unique amongst its peers, such as exclusively having pine trees/oak trees, or a forest that gives a 'dark', 'evil' vibe. This universally applies to most other biomes as well. The problem LotC has faced this map is that unique biomes were mad that were terrible from the get go, so they get remembered for being shitty. All the other biomes are just, not unique.

Yeah, this is essentially what I say a few times in the thread.

While I definitely would love to see more fantasy biomes, I also recognise that there's nothing inherently wrong with generic real-world biomes -- I just think that, as you say, they should be made to be a bit more engaging, rather than variations of plains throughout the majority of the map (by that, I mean a lot of different biomes attempt to differentiate themselves through only minor detail, like some sparse trees off the road). 

Likewise, I agree that Map Dev Teams have, for many maps now, greatly struggled to implement unique biomes. Whether this is the fault of the World Painters, or just map builders not having the time or inspiration, I'm not sure, but this map has ample examples. The volcanoes and the Rimeveld, for instance, were initially written to have a lot of unique details that lent themselves to environmental storytelling and event potential, but instead we just got some mountains without really anything at all to see within them.

2 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

Yeah, this is essentially what I say a few times in the thread.

While I definitely would love to see more fantasy biomes, I also recognise that there's nothing inherently wrong with generic real-world biomes -- I just think that, as you say, they should be made to be a bit more engaging, rather than variations of plains throughout the majority of the map (by that, I mean a lot of different biomes attempt to differentiate themselves through only minor detail, like some sparse trees off the road). 

Likewise, I agree that Map Dev Teams have, for many maps now, greatly struggled to implement unique biomes. Whether this is the fault of the World Painters, or just map builders not having the time or inspiration, I'm not sure, but this map has ample examples. The volcanoes and the Rimeveld, for instance, were initially written to have a lot of unique details that lent themselves to environmental storytelling and event potential, but instead we just got some mountains without really anything at all to see within them.

The real problem with creating high fantasy biomes is mainly the limitation of builders dedicated to pour hours into producing such a feat. Generally speaking, more fantastical biomes are held to a higher standard than other biomes by the wider population of players, mainly due to the fact that they aren't conditioned to seeing such, so its criticized a lot more harshly than the generic oak forest. Thus, if a fantasy biomes is done poorly, then it receives a lot of negative criticism. I'm all for fantasy biomes, but at the end of the day, there are only so many people who would to spend weeks of hours building biomes in minecraft.

3 minutes ago, Elennanore said:

The real problem with creating high fantasy biomes is mainly the limitation of builders dedicated to pour hours into producing such a feat. Generally speaking, more fantastical biomes are held to a higher standard than other biomes by the wider population of players, mainly due to the fact that they aren't conditioned to seeing such, so its criticized a lot more harshly than the generic oak forest. Thus, if a fantasy biomes is done poorly, then it receives a lot of negative criticism. I'm all for fantasy biomes, but at the end of the day, there are only so many people who would to spend weeks of hours building biomes in minecraft.

For sure, I don't think anyone's suggesting that this is the easier route. On the contrary, doing things better usually does take some more effort.

Ultimately, there's a lot of factors involved in making regions like this, from map size, to timelines, to manpower, and it's not much use for us to discuss those things given that that information isn't really freely available. While accounting for feasibility, the goal here really is to just generate discussion on these ideas in general. If talks like this can lead to even a few cooler regions next map, I think that's a net-gain.

Anyway, I appreciate you commenting as a member of the Map Dev Team and taking it outside of your Discord.

1 hour ago, Elennanore said:

All the memorable biomes this map are memorable for being dog shit. You don't need high fantasy or 'unique' biomes for them to be memorable or 'good', you just need a biome that establishes itself as unique when compared to others, something that is explicitly unique.  You recognize a forest as being unique amongst its peers, such as exclusively having pine trees/oak trees, or a forest that gives a 'dark', 'evil' vibe. This universally applies to most other biomes as well. The problem LotC has faced this map is that unique biomes were mad that were terrible from the get go, so they get remembered for being shitty. All the other biomes are just, not unique.

It's important to avoid Theme Park World though. A common trend in LOTC maps is to have flat grassy plains as the default, and then they go through a shopping list of biomes, adding them to different corners of the map. It makes all the untouched (or barely touched) parts of the map extremely dull, while the few biomes there are are then exaggerated. Every mountain has to be unscalable, every forest has to have gigantic trees that block out the sun entirely, etc.

The map leak was pretty worrying because it looked like every mountain was part of a gigantic range designed to separate nations from each other (why???), all the interesting biomes were shoved to the corners of the map, the snowy part was a clear wasteland, etc.

A greater number of less drastic biomes and terrain features would be in order IMO.

2 hours ago, argonian said:

The map leak was pretty worrying because it looked like every mountain was part of a gigantic range designed to separate nations from each other (why???), all the interesting biomes were shoved to the corners of the map, the snowy part was a clear wasteland, etc.

I mean, it could be worse I guess. At least there's only a single volcano instead of a volcanic biome.