Pasted or from scratch?

Javert

Rather straightforward topic I've been thinking of. Do you prefer to have your builds pasted or built from scratch? When I say built from scratch, that can either mean having a build but doing it by hand or having no plan and expanding your build as people join.

Pasted, easier to get blocks, quicker to build and you can add in survival later on. Only downside is the price.

Built by hand. Allows for some interesting roleplay especially as players conjure up little things to implement.

I would say built by hand but nobody really RPs it as being a construction site, and if they do it just looks nothing like a construction site. It just looks like a landscar with nonsensically placed chests and blocks. Plus, if it's in construction, people just avoid it for other RP centers instead. 

It depends on what you are building. Villages and towns are fine built by hand. Capital cities and huge PvP castles might be a bit trickier.

It's funny when you can tell that something was made on a build server just by walking around it. A big sign for me is that creative-paste houses never have conveniently placed crafting tables, a flaw that'd be quickly noticed and corrected if it was made by hand instead.

Also depends on what kinda vibe you are going for. Some build styles just shouldn't be made outside of creative mode. In general, when it comes to hand building, simpler is better because it means things get built faster (avoiding the problem of stuff staying under construction for too long), there's less disconnect between stuff made by top-tier builders and newbies, you don't have to grind as many expensive build materials (seriously some building styles are STUPID expensive, I HATE log walls I HATE log walls), etc.

If you try to use a creative mode style for hand building it'll be pretty obvious so don't do that. You DON'T build the same when you are building by hand vs in a build server for a paste (or at least you SHOULDN'T!).

image.png

~Willow Hollow circa 2016~

Hand building is why old halfling villages look super EPIC!

I need to revive old halfling hand-building styles and techniques so bad man..... creative mode has corrupted us

just give us both as an option, I'd be fine making a small hold and do some terraforming by hand, but large projects such as a large town or a massive keep I'd rather have pasted in

built from scratch or pasted is fine. planning and schematics are well and good, convenience is nice, but making the price of entry for a build be your own personal build server and 1 gorillion minas is evil.

personally lean towards the former just because I miss there being some sense of continuity to the world, and places not being so disposable. and more than 2 people participating in a build was fun too, because sometimes your citizens would add little details you'd never think of from the top down

hand built makes for more fluid RP but pasted is also so much more OOCly convenient. ive never cared much for the "immersion" aspect of building processes so I've always preferred pastes

Pasted, though if it's for starting groups I like it when the builds start small and additions are only made when required for RP.  I'd probably be more open to hand built if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to currently get building materials due to the nodes on this map.

Just spent way too much of my time digging a giant hole for Qizu was very annoying. Pastes are normally better unless your group is able and willing to do lengthy rp, constructing the town, city or building. It worked for khron to some extent but it may not worth for others.

Pastes or else I will continue to break child labor laws on LOTC.

I really miss schematic and limited creative, feel like it'd be more dynamic if we had that back.

3 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

built from scratch or pasted is fine. planning and schematics are well and good, convenience is nice, but making the price of entry for a build be your own personal build server and 1 gorillion minas is evil.

personally lean towards the former just because I miss there being some sense of continuity to the world, and places not being so disposable. and more than 2 people participating in a build was fun too, because sometimes your citizens would add little details you'd never think of from the top down

the one big downsides of pastes is that every new regime feels the need to wipe the capital city and magically terraform it to "leave their mark"

it's very stupid and as you said destroys any sense of continuity

this isn't like a request for pasting to be removed, but it certainly is massively over-used 

Another testament to why Resource Pits were ahead of it's time and then casted into the darkness.