[✓] [Flora Lore] - Blood Blossom

Royal Peasant

Blood Blossom

Spoiler

af73f3d2325d5a1a44b830793e75ddc6.jpg

While Blood Blossoms come in many shapes, and forms, the most common variation of the parasitic plant is the one that mirrors a similar appearance to that of a red rose, yet this darker rosa comes with a shine to the petals that made them seem all the more luscious while they are in full bloom, and all the more unnerving when they have shrivelled up and turned a black deeper than coal. 

History

Blood Blossoms, in the language of flowers are known under the words of ‘Conquest, Death, and kinship’. A flower that has in some cultures been used to decorate soldiers before they go into battle by their lovers with the belief that they will herald victory for their loved ones. Similarly should the soldiers have found themselves falling to the battlefield, the flowers that they had added to their armour are delivered back to their loved ones after having shrivelled up and turned black, a sign of mourning and death. High society, caring not for the views of the peasant folk about the rather rare flower add it to their garbs, usually worn by ladies with red lipstick to tempt suitors to their side. Knights, and nobles have even shed blood to aid a flower to bloom to hold a promise of kinship and bind their oaths.

Overall the flowers over the ages have been seen as a symbol of many different virtues, and views. Yet as the flowers tend to grow most frequently in lands where blood is commonly shed, there has always been a woe, and unnerving light bound to the flowers. Yet in many tales the flowers have been used to give a sense of romance to the stories bards sing and perform.  

Appearance
b429d469785a17819970538bcf8a8a42.jpg

The seeds of Blood Blossoms are black, knotted sphere’s that have an appearance that almost mirrors the shape of eyes in the decorations of the seed's form. The seeds themselves will survive for a full week without being nourished before they crack open, a sicky black puss flowing from the seed as it perishes. Should they be nourished however the seed will begin to grow a black stem, growing thorns and barbs sharp enough to shred flesh while black, and withered looking petals begin to grow at the stem. Once the flower has reached full bloom those once black, and withered petals will gain a gorgeous lustre and shine mirroring the blood that it has fed on to grow to its full size.

As long as the plant is able to feed on blood it will continue to remain its beautiful, and enticing appearance. Lurring animals and men alike towards it to be cut by the thorns and feed it more crimson ichor. However once the feed is no longer able to be found the flower will perish, the petals turning cracked, and black as coal. Almost looking like the flower had been burned. The plant remains rooted where it had perished until it was removed or destroyed even after death.   

Abilities and Usage

The Blood Blossoms, unlike normal plants, survive entirely upon blood. There are many different variations of the blossoms with their own mutations, though the alchemical properties only shift slightly depending on the flora that was given.  But all blood blossoms have the signs listed below:

Spoiler

YJpWTPc17sLq0Wk2hLR5gjLeDl_rXt6LLozlZS1PZWzghf8j1HFAs5xC8XN-VcdfSKXOUZorMf3s6Uvg81UHaa1hwPYXDjFMCAqcyWFFMaAzNbSCei6Ghsp0Dvg1QzEOAbB4P6GI Earth - 1

The Sign of earth covers a wide variety of attributes, being so closely rooted with all things. Representations namely revolve around the properties and symbolism of Earth, typically some form of attachment, or fortitude, though it is not uncommon for earth to be rooted with health and nature; this is due to earth being something of a stubborn and very tough concept that is connected to many other things. Earth shares similarities with air in that it commonly covers drug like effects but in the opposite end of the spectrum; depressants. Chemically earth based Symbols are often stable. 

PGYQGDhbH_lOuivvKjs3Z2lSJKVMWtT1vnaO78uurgCUTx4a_yuTPdo8O2I0A_L1qziQzBq-pWmiQeCO48uDpuxouWnnyO_lMoY1AnTW9WX_1BDX_fBInra_pFxvRvHBC0hCsCWh Aether - 1
The Sign of aether covers features that attribute to odd and mythical properties. Often intertwined with the spheres of magic and affiliated with mana. While this Sign lacks many representations, it is often used to give potions, oils, and other such concoctions, a near magical quality to it. Another usage of this Sign is the literal usage of magic in alchemy, such as directly using raw lifeforce as a reagent. 
 HiR3j9YFCJ0HSfBDc-ANGpIM633m_D8ez6wrTUNdzKAAyhSvwobrTQAjEEZnKGWRmUIYmEBxPsjI4-SC8wpYsOQivyBxFD-M9pUvuy2LGy7xHGaofUYPaogTEpU9AY72kAcBl_Ag Lethargy - 1

Lethargy is the antonym of Vigour; the embodiment of sloth, inaction and inertia. It is often used to strip entities of their energy, or to put a pause on processes. 

174MluSo72bKQbVnqsqRlDFZKCY8kD6ReKgA6Ye_seFPU--zMhrKkOHSLkJRhT9CnByB_BwXxIUdP6dxxLKSP3m8ahlXP5R4weHJalrSvPkRkg1ZivbhWCX5-oO6HazchkH1lO0a Fear - 1

Fear is the antonym of Courage; the embodiment of hesitation, reluctance and panic. It is often used to strike an entity with uncertainty, or to bring oscillation to add an element of oscillation to processes
dS-xWFU9JMHgkmhJUz4WyBaJPVzi7yuBCeJDAhG3cmhh0FRPtcEXvjuZIeQLfFPZ1ffOJu8YRGT6UVh87m_az8puz5nPZp9O7HbeysH5Gw2ics9jk0SyXN-HtfNfXOyIaipl-4Wo Dark - 1

Darkness is the antonym of Light; the embodiment of concealment, occultism and dread. It is often used to shroud entities, or to balance against zealous properties in a process.

A blood blossom grown from the blood of a troll, or race with regenerative properties is possible to gain the sign of healing, and mending natures upon them. These tend to be the most desired petals not only for the sign, but due to the fact that the petals themselves glisten with a beautiful, enticing shine upon their petals. The most alluring of all their variations

If the flower grows from a long dead corpse, or old and rotten blood will spread the sign of death within the petals of the flower themselves. The petals from these blooms tend to have veins of black moving through the petals that are unpleasant, and give an idea on what signs are imbedded into them.   

Finally there is the parasite variation. The most common variation to discover as they latch themselves upon the living and grow upon them. Their roots burrowing under skin and attaching themselves to vines to feed upon the blood of their ‘host’. These blooms will continue to spread over their host until the host perishes. All variations of this blood bloom gain the poisonous sign.  Turning them a deathly pale. And creating ‘clots’ of blackened blood veins. 

Red Lines

Spoiler

The flowers once rooted into someone will need surgery to extra safely, however it is extremely difficult to force themselves to root in someone due to the amount of time it takes for a person, or animal for them to sink deep enough to not be pulled out. [A real life week, seven days.]

A patch of blood blossoms need a sign to show that they are being grown and where they are.  Should they not be fed blood on a regular basis they will wither and day. [At least once, with the amount of a small animal every 3 days. Or a few droplets fed by the one cultivating them each day.] 

Corcitura blood can be used to help grow these flowers, and should they be utilized in this manner they will hold the disease that they carry. This however need a new sign that says that the blossoms have been 'infected', and OOC permission for anyone that is attempted to be infected through the use of the flowers. Once the 'infection' infects a single person, the flowers will wither and die, allowing this method of infection to only be used once per patch. This will also work for any other sickness, or poison that can infect and linger in blood. But it will need a sign to show its infected and ooc permission to be caught by what has spread into the patch. 

Vampire players should list their contact details besides a batch they have 'infected' with a sign. 

Blood magics will have minor ability to control the petals themselves, but not the entirety of the plants. As the petals themselves absorb and hold them within the petals. It will however not be large enough to do anything more than the most minor traits. 

Petals/batches are player-signed.

OOC

Spoiler

OOC: I wrote this awhile back and just rediscovered it. And thought I could submit it here and see if you could see it being a fun addition to the world. Mostly for the culture and potential meaning such a short, and difficult to bloom flower holds. At the very least I hope you enjoy the read and idea!

I have followed SilverGM's suggestion and made edits. Considering I'd need to make a new post for the alchemy potion and poison that they work for I have removed those parts from this 'lore' piece for the moment. And will add them to another post for the potion & Poison so they won't effect this lore piece in itself. 

Spoiler

Super cool lore thing, though I would suggest a few things

firstly adding the actual symbols and the amounts they give, rather then just add the pictures from the material alphabet. Considering not all of the material alphabet is used in alchemy.  Also because it's just easier and less tedious, If players do intend to use it for alchemy

Secondly, If your going to mention potions of healing or poison, write those in a separate piece. Considering the 'healing' potions already have specific reagents, and ambiguous poisons could lead to people power gaming the effects

Another thing, is I would suggest adding a specific redline that makes it so patches of these flowers need to have a sign next to them. That way they can be distinguished. 

Lastly, I would honestly suggest making a redline, where corcitura blood can actually be utilized on the roses. However the corcitura disease could only be passed onto one person. This could lead to a cool way to scare some players, as they wouldn't know which is tainted roses and which is not. Though such would probably need an ST sign.

52 minutes ago, SilvertheGM said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Super cool lore thing, though I would suggest a few things

firstly adding the actual symbols and the amounts they give, rather then just add the pictures from the material alphabet. Considering not all of the material alphabet is used in alchemy.  Also because it's just easier and less tedious, If players do intend to use it for alchemy

Secondly, If your going to mention potions of healing or poison, write those in a separate piece. Considering the 'healing' potions already have specific reagents, and ambiguous poisons could lead to people power gaming the effects

Another thing, is I would suggest adding a specific redline that makes it so patches of these flowers need to have a sign next to them. That way they can be distinguished. 

Lastly, I would honestly suggest making a redline, where corcitura blood can actually be utilized on the roses. However the corcitura disease could only be passed onto one person. This could lead to a cool way to scare some players, as they wouldn't know which is tainted roses and which is not. Though such would probably need an ST sign.

@SilvertheGM Thank you for the suggestions! I have altered the piece. Let me know if you approve of the changes that I added to try and follow your suggestions. 

5 minutes ago, Royal Peasant said:

Thank you for the suggestions!

Your super welcome! In regards to it, looks awesome, I would just specify that the Corcitura ones either need an ST sign in specfic or if you want to make it more player friendly have it be that the Corcitura player can have their contact info so that a player can msg them about it. That way, its better to keep tabs as to which corc players are doing this method

Besides that, only other critique is the symbols again, since Aether in of itself is not a symbol. But one of the prefixs, if you want some suggestions as to what prefix/prefix hybrids you could make this then I put some just below this comment.

Spoiler

Earth x Water

Aether x Water

Aether x Earth

Other then that, good luck on having it get accepted, for sure see this being a cool plant to not only harvest. But interact with in the wilds, and could add some cool things to druids and blood mages. 

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.