[Debate] Murder Roleplay/Villainy

TreeSmoothie

35 minutes ago, MaltaMoss said:

40 gorillion dead pink tags beneath Oren (traumatizing)

on a serious note Tree I'm glad you've seen the error of your minecraft villain ways and have stopped being a feeding CA murderhobo

god bless

Please continue down this righteous path so you may restore the souls of so many dead pink tags

it was THREEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every time you call treesmoothie a noob killer . . . . . . 3 noobs die.... repost this or else treesmoothie will appear under your bed at 3 AM and stuff your closet with the corpses of 3 morbillion dead pink tags 

Too long, didn't read.

anyways, tried banditing on an alt account, everytime I stopped someone I'd always leave it feeling worse about myself or having gained nothing at all, on my main however whenever I do kill someone it is usually worth it because of something they did irply, thus no bad feeling, life good.

I feel as if a good portion of this dilemma also comes in the opposition of attacks. Defending against an attack (regardless of intensity/stage of crp and exhaustion), is rarely met with a true "I'm beaten" type of thing, such as falling to the ground or being disarmed. Few people wish for this to happen, and instead remain standing and defending until one blow finally crashes through and kills the individual in one fell swoop.

[More often than not, the individuals that emote themselves being knocked out in one hit do so in bad faith and pepper the rp with rude comments oocly.]

This makes it increasingly difficult for an attacker to gauge just when to cease their onslaught in order to promote good, non-killing rp.

[I've not had this personally happen to me, but have witnessed multiple instances of it occur.]

Perhaps a good start can be approached from all parties involved, but of course that is a dream.

5 hours ago, sami03 said:

I mean i'm not going to blame staff entirely for the actions of the people who use this platform to roleplay; Most of the murderhoboing [CAs] and [MAs] exist from a time before most of the current ST were even apart of the system; and these pieces of lore persist because (Besides the murderhoboing aspect) they have provided roleplay that is consistently beyond the quality of the average lotc roleplay experience. I think what would be best in that instance is to just make an ST ruling which bars new submissions and any rewrites from having a mechanic which encourages murderhoboing; or direct murder in general to achieve a particular goal. (Yes we can have dark magic that plays on other themes than murder)

Regarding the main point of the the post; I agree that murder needs to be a tool used on special occasion outside of raids and warclaims. But in order to have any type of real rule-based server change we would require staff intervention and a complete rewrite to our rule-system. These things take time and given that this topic has been brought up multiple times there's likely not a novel solution any of our staff can think of that is also simple to implement. Most proposed ideas say things along the lines of "We should have lives" "We should make a death application to be reviewed to tell us if our chars are pk'd based on the rp" but all boil down to adding more staff bloat; which staff as a general concept never like. So, the only solution is to manipulate RP culture by convincing most characters not to kill and/ or create severe IRP penalties for people who kill. Or to discover that needle in the haystack rule which is both simple and effective at reducing the amount of murders which occur on lotc whilst also improving the general RP quality surrounding the death.

One idea I have would be to require a "tell" emotes which indicates to the person you are RPing with that your character has some type of malevolent or unnatural intent towards their character, but have yet to spot your character or initiate their plan. Something along the lines of; *A band of 3 brigands walk along the road surveying every knook and cranny for something, or perhaps someone; though as they draw closer they have yet to see [Persona name of target]*. If they continue to rp as they were and ignore the tell emote they are then liable for all RP which ensues after; but if they rp running away or hiding from the murderous threat then they are not liable to be murdered so long as they avoid the conflict.

Edited by Booklight12

9 hours ago, Balmakka said:

I feel as if a good portion of this dilemma also comes in the opposition of attacks. Defending against an attack (regardless of intensity/stage of crp and exhaustion), is rarely met with a true "I'm beaten" type of thing, such as falling to the ground or being disarmed.

I mean, why would you give in? If you die, you are revived just as you were before the encounter. If you surrender, you may be disfigured/cursed in a way that you can't really play the character as you used to anymore. At worst, if your captors particularly hate you, you may be "nuggeted" (lose all of your limbs, eyes, ears, or other such vital body parts) in such a way that your character can't do anything without thousand's of minas spent on runic limb replacements or other magical surgeries (effectively a soft PK of your character if you can't afford all that).

People WANT their characters to die instead of get captured b/c if you die your character can't be utterly ruined. It's much better to have your character die and be revived intact instead of have their eyes gouged out by bandits when people don't pay your ransom. People don't get mass disfigured/nuggeted as often as they used to (two emps was particularly bad I've heard), but it's still a fear many people have.

Death is the lighter punishment by far.

1 hour ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

I mean, why would you give in? If you die, you are revived just as you were before the encounter. If you surrender, you may be disfigured/cursed in a way that you can't really play the character as you used to anymore. At worst, if your captors particularly hate you, you may be "nuggeted" (lose all of your limbs, eyes, ears, or other such vital body parts) in such a way that your character can't do anything without thousand's of minas spent on runic limb replacements or other magical surgeries (effectively a soft PK of your character if you can't afford all that).

People WANT their characters to die instead of get captured b/c if you die your character can't be utterly ruined. It's much better to have your character die and be revived intact instead of have their eyes gouged out by bandits when people don't pay your ransom. People don't get mass disfigured/nuggeted as often as they used to (two emps was particularly bad I've heard), but it's still a fear many people have.

Death is the lighter punishment by far.

god, very true 

Wish there were rules abt the extent of nuggeting ppl, or at the very least

Something in turn that makes death a worse punishment, but I doubt it'll ever happen

55 minutes ago, alexmagus said:

I thought they were hyperlinks

I would never put that much effort into a post

Just make the server first (genuine RP) death PK. 

9 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

If you surrender, you may be disfigured/cursed in a way that you can't really play the character as you used to anymore.

I can see why this is an issue, and it brings it once more to the attacker side of reaction. In the event of an individual being willing to continue the story, there should be a certain recognition by the attacker to perhaps do the same on their end. For instance, a Silit could get a perfectly full feeding from drinking only enough blood to knock someone out/make em woozy, but could also overfeed and kill the individual (To no additional benefit). If the person is willing to contribute meaningful flaw roleplay, it should say something to the attacker OOCly that they should support the narrative building, rather than "Hurr durr if I kill them they forget everything".

If you're worried about someone knowing what/who you are, you should show that irply. Have face coverings due to paranoia, and allow that very same affliction to peek through into your non-disguised rp. Give an individual who has given you the olive branch of meaningful rp the chance to continue it.

[And to be clear, by "You" I do not mean anyone in particular, I mean it as an example.]

On 1/2/2023 at 9:38 PM, TreeSmoothie said:

Look at Shamanism, for example.

Flashback to when orcs/shamans killed or maimed half my characters. orcs are a murderhobo race and I will never not hate it

But yeah, as someone who always has done a lot of villainy and murderhobo rp, there are definitely better ways to do it. Like- I've been told that it's against the rules (idk if it's true or not), but I won't stop asking for ooc consent before hurting someone's character, even if it's because I'm a lil' spooky and need to. I've had my mood soured by people who just want to randomly beat up or kill my character too many times, and it's so easy to just not kill them and move on to one of the other 200 people online who may want to crp.

In conclusion, LotC sucks and I'm going back to Animal Jam villainy rp

12 hours ago, GamblersPalm said:

Just make the server first (genuine RP) death PK. 

I'd generally agree, and I do think it should at least be the case for NLs, but there is so much grey area with this still. I remember when I was with the Reivers, and we got in trouble for providing low-quality RP, we began to encourage people to clean up their emotes and make the RP seem as good as possible. On the surface it looked fine, and went past staff's heads, because after all we were giving them paragraph-length emotes with proper grammar and everything, but if you looked beyond it you'd see that it was still just bandit murderhobo RP we did to piss people off and get a kick. Sure, the actual words and content may have been of acceptable quality, but the intent behind it hadn't changed. I think a big problem now is that people are still trapped in this mindset, where they believe that long, well-typed emotes mean the RP is genuine and of good quality, even if that's not always the case

On 1/3/2023 at 3:29 AM, Bellegarde said:

It's a two-edged sword, if you kill them then you have given no narrative, while at the same time ensuring there's no way you can be caught if there were no witnesses.

If you don't kill them but injure them severely then their persona could potentially be crippled, something that the receiving player might not want, but narrative would then be added. 

Rather simple innit then. Blind them so they can't point you out in a crowd. The blinded mf can then get golem eyes or whatever to regain their vision.