[✓] [Event Creature] Dust Mites

Spoiler

Dust Mites

l4wj9HvMiOkhxuZlz7s1zzMiZadmwRMnNndi0WAz1pmBj2pmW1ArOQ0NKiyZ28coq-0NByQjIMEsfRkMvKBqeUeurJpx-W43fzz1IMY4nQPCwhopPrcXaCaZ0mAvbwOkuPQ4bJlbzFAcGT4rdW61jsg

“If you behave well, lad, I’ll take you up to that old mine.. We’ll hopefully see some of them Mites, aye?”

Background

Oftentimes, mothers will tell children tales of little balls of ash and soot with beady eyes, leaping into their soup and ruining their supper. Many claim to have seen eyes watching them in the darkness of mines and abandoned castles at night. While most dismiss these claims as lies or madness, few know the reality - they likely stumbled across Dust Mites.

Creature Summary

Dust Mites are balls of ash, soot, and dust with minute, white eyes, no larger than the hand of an elf. They are solitary, paranoid creatures, who prefer to watch from the sidelines. They reside within abandoned buildings, caves, and shadowy forests - in short, any area that is suitably dark. They avoid daylight and the sun, due to their being exposed in such conditions. Dust Mites are extremely fragile creatures. While they do come in large numbers, a simple swipe from a broom is enough to destroy a Dust Mite. As such, they tend to stick together, and scatter when they feel under threat - which is often, as the creatures are extremely shy and fright easily. They possess only one ability - the ability to defy gravity, to float into the sky and to the roof of caves as they see fit. They are by no means hostile, and under no circumstances attack people, choosing to flee if confronted by any form of danger.

When a human takes up residence within a location occupied by Dust Mites, they do not instantly leave. Moving home is tricky for the Mite, as traveling is exceptionally dangerous - they are so fragile that flying into a tree branch in an attempt to escape a bird would spell certain death. As such, they often opt to quietly wait and watch the new arrival, sometimes growing to accept the new being; though they never go so far as to fly about within easy sight of a human. If a human does catch sight of them, it’s through surprise, or sudden illumination of a dark room. Upon this, they scatter - making to retreat into the floorboards, the upper roof, or whichever exit is close and convenient. Dust Mites are considered a form of pest by many, due to their dirtying nature. (Houses and areas within which they live, over time, grow covered in dust and ash). 

Fire is deadly to these beings. While they enjoy warmth, fire instantly kills these beings. As such, a common tell of a forest fire is a cloud of Mites flying up into the sky, in order to escape. As well as fire, combative spells will instantly kill these beings - but spells not designed for combat prove ultimately harmless, though they do tend to scare the Mites away. Intelligent descendants and beings utilize the tell-tale signs of Dust Mites fleeing through the skies to identify that a threat lurks nearby.

Taming

These creatures cannot be tamed. While they may over time come to accept your presence and live quietly out of sight, they will never go so far as to willingly interact with a human. 

Abilities

Dust Mites are capable of flight. This is their only ability, and can be interpreted by eventrunners as they see fit.

General red lines - Restrictions

- Dust Mites cannot be tamed.

- Dust Mites cannot be communed with by Druids.

- Dust Mites are not hostile by any means, and will not attack humans or animals under any circumstances.

- Dust Mites are not capable of supersonic flight. Be reasonable. They aren’t slow, but they aren’t going to outpace an arrow, either.

- This is not an ET creature. They can be roleplayed by any player.

Purpose

Dust Mites will hopefully serve to add some aesthetic flavor to abandoned locations, and also some telltale signs - for instance, an ET could signal that a dangerous creature of some sort existed within a nearby empty location by signaling with a cloud of Dust Mites. They aren’t obligatory to roleplay within abandoned places by any means, but I hope that the people who do utilize them have fun with the clues that they can lay, and that the average player/settlement can run some fun events using these things.

Also, this is my first lorepiece. Please don't judge me, I just want ghibli shit.

EDITS

• Clarified in redlines that this is not an ET creature.

This is wonderful little flavor to help make the world feel just a bit more fantastic. Easily unobtrusive and not a burden to those who don't wish to interact, yet a great aesthetic and roleplay opportunity for event runners. 

+1

Give me dust mites or give me death!

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.