Back to Old Habits

Liam5232

In the Norlandic Keep, Liam sits, lost in thought as the fire warms the room. He is a very Hefty man, hands rough from years of work and battle. Around him, citizens hold each other close trying their best to keep warm. He is suddenly jerked back to reality as he hears a familiar voice call out “You ok bud?” He looks down at the octopus plush in his arms, almost chuckling at the thought of someone who has no problem with beheading a man for shoving him, delicately holding a soft child’s toy. He quietly mumbles “I'm alright. Just thinking…” The voice pauses for a moment before continuing “Well y’know we have stuff to do. Usually, you’re all over it… is this about the ice kiss?” Liam suddenly yells “NO!”. The crowd quickly turns to the sudden outburst. He exchanges glances with them before excusing himself heading underground to what appears to be a storage room. He went to sit on one of the medical beds preemptively set out for the expected injuries. The medics had largely underestimated Norland’s ability to suck it up, so rows of beds lay unused waiting for any impending battle to provide use.

He sets his plush on a bed opposite of him looking around for anyone who may be listening before continuing “It’s not about any drugs. Not whiskey or… or whatever else you may think.” He takes a breath once again glancing around the room for any others “I am a danger to Grimm. I know it sounds stupid, but-” The sounds of someone heading down the steps echo down the hall. He looks over to see a small child standing beneath the doorway waving. In exchange, Liam motioned for her to leave, but she stood there still. “Go on. What do you need?” he impatiently asked before she smiled and ran off leaving him sitting. “Now what’d you do that for?” the voice asks. “That’s what I mean… I-I don’t know. I don't know what I'm doing or why I do things. Ever since I came into this worthless place, I’ve just been… existing. Days blend and then I discover drugs.” He chuckles for a moment “Eternal leaf, box of crayons, cactus green, you name it, I sold it. Then…” His expression changes becoming more serious “I found ice kiss, and damn… that was a drug if there was one. Smoked it up so much some elven dude seasoned enough to make the ocean jealous… then Grimm saw what was happening and I made a promise… one which I broke 14– well, now 15 times.” 

Liam stands up grabbing the plush “And now, he’s finally given up…” a lone tear treads down Liam’s emotionless face, dripping onto the floor. He quietly rushed past the people in the palace and opened the door to leave. Struggling against the cold winds, he made it to the library where he grabbed a couple books from the children's section before grabbing a note, pen, and lantern, both for light and warmth. He sat for hours looking through “Norlandic ABCs” trying to make sure each letter was written to near perfection. Consulting several more books, mostly searching for words and their meaning, he gave out a breathy sigh. Standing up, he looked over the note and left it to dry as he grabbed a couple blankets and crawled into a small corner to sleep. Waking up, he quickly grabbed the note and headed for the aviary. Sending his message to Grimm, and shedding his ashguard clothes, he quickly felt the sting of the storm. He grimaced through it as he grabbed his cloak, and went for his horse. He checked that the coast was clear before quickly riding off, careful to avoid any Mori that would stand in his way, once again, heading far away from home. 

Spoiler

+1 post