Vote on This Fella's New Map Goals

Ibn Khaldun

History Channel Vikings GIF

Hello all,

I plan to have a small presence on the next map, providing some sort of interesting interactable for players. One mind can only creatively come up with so much, so I'd like to open the floor for suggestions on what I could build/operate on the next map that would be engaging for players. I tend to approach the server from the perspective of a game developer and would love to have some niche way to provide entertainment.

The only constraints to keep in mind is that my in-game time is limited. I plan to, with what little time I can log in, act primarily as moderator. This would limit my ability to host events for example, but I am definitely interested in working with other players or story members if they'd like for me to generate the idea and build out the space that idea will take hold of. I want to try for self-sustaining or at least minimally time-requiring projects.

Even if you can't suggest an idea, feel free to vote for ones I've come up with or others in later replies!

Current Ideas:

• Run and operate a library where NPCs could be set up to give out quests. Fulfillment of quests could be corresponded either in /notes or via Discord.
  • Operate a bartering outpost where players can exchange requested items for resources (would utilize chests and /notes to keep track of which chests would be locked for which player to await their reward).
  • Monster quest board.
  • Cartographer Guild, players exchange created maps for minas/resources.

The library, and bartering outpost are both interesting ideas. I would be fascinated to see how that might work. 

16 hours ago, Danjahb29 said:

The library, and bartering outpost are both interesting ideas. I would be fascinated to see how that might work. 

For the library, it would give me inspiration to port all of my lore into Minecraft books. What I would do is have regular prices for players to purchase them, but arrange wholesale purchases by other libraries at drastically lower prices so that I don't harm other players' attempts at starting libraries.

For the bartering outpost, but current thinking is this:

Player A would approach the bartering outpost and read from a menu listing the exchanges (Event Items swapped for Resources, Resources swapped for Minas, etc). Those who'd like to exchange would pick a chest, put in a /note and a sign on the chest, then when I log in - I'd exchange them and ensure the chest is locked for the appropriate player. The exchange speed might not be automatic, but it would help in keeping goods flowing on the map.

Will it be a road-side thing? Assuming yes, this sounds like an incredible idea, spruces up RP for the weary traveler.

as always Gaius if moderation sucks I will take you back happily to staff endorse these projects

1 hour ago, Sarven said:

Will it be a road-side thing? Assuming yes, this sounds like an incredible idea, spruces up RP for the weary traveler.

I am stuck trying to decide whether this will be road-side or based in a major city (but rotates to share the love). I am leaning towards this being road-side though.

59 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

as always Gaius if moderation sucks I will take you back happily to staff endorse these projects

We can still work together even though I am a Moderator. I stepped away from Story Team because I knew I couldn't dedicate long hours to run major event-sites or events, but doesn't mean I am not willing to work together.

It would be interesting to have this be an island far off the coast.  Then perhaps a ship is made at every port that can go to this place.  Make it small enough to host the two or three buildings for your original idea (library/quest hub/trade post).  It being a small isolated island can make it reasonable for it to maintain an extreme neutrality to everyone and for special items to maybe rotate through as Sailors tend to go to strange far off lands.  An open contract board for Player/ST to put up events for people to sign up to IRP sounds great too.

Just shooting out ideas for you, I hope some resonate with your original intent and this makes it into next map!

5 hours ago, Qaz_The_Great said:

It would be interesting to have this be an island far off the coast.  Then perhaps a ship is made at every port that can go to this place.  Make it small enough to host the two or three buildings for your original idea (library/quest hub/trade post).  It being a small isolated island can make it reasonable for it to maintain an extreme neutrality to everyone and for special items to maybe rotate through as Sailors tend to go to strange far off lands.  An open contract board for Player/ST to put up events for people to sign up to IRP sounds great too.

Just shooting out ideas for you, I hope some resonate with your original intent and this makes it into next map!

My only concern with having this on a far-off island is that it would pull players away from the other regions (whether activity is tracked or not doesn't matter to me about this point) whereas having it placed along a major road or alternating between major cities (similar to the Bard College concept) would allow players to flow quickly between activity hubs while enjoying the benefits of this library/quest hub/trade post.

17 hours ago, Ibn Khaldun said:

My only concern with having this on a far-off island is that it would pull players away from the other regions (whether activity is tracked or not doesn't matter to me about this point) whereas having it placed along a major road or alternating between major cities (similar to the Bard College concept) would allow players to flow quickly between activity hubs while enjoying the benefits of this library/quest hub/trade post.

Hence why a ferry would be available at any consenting port.  For the widest variety of players to feel comfortable going requires it to be detached from the world and being a island port gives it a chance to maintain itself as a safe place for all.  It seem if it would be an alternating location the onus would be on you and with your having limited RP time it makes more sense to settle it to a fixed location that near everyone has access to from activity hubs.

5 hours ago, Qaz_The_Great said:

Hence why a ferry would be available at any consenting port.  For the widest variety of players to feel comfortable going requires it to be detached from the world and being a island port gives it a chance to maintain itself as a safe place for all.  It seem if it would be an alternating location the onus would be on you and with your having limited RP time it makes more sense to settle it to a fixed location that near everyone has access to from activity hubs.

That is a convincing point actually, thanks for pointing that out. I will scratch the idea of rotating locations and settle on a fixed one. I'll have to see if I can get on the map-in-development to see what are some good fixed locations.