LotC Development II: Faith and Nations

Aesopian

Read the sections in the post below, and then come back to this poll to leave your opinion.  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Faith

• This should be added to the server as it currently is.
    • This should be added to the server as it currently is, but minor changes could make this better [state below].
    • This shouldn't be added to the server without major changes [state below].
    • This should never be added to the server in any form.
  2. 2. Nations

• This should be added to the server as it currently is, but changes in its mathematics would make this even better.
    • This should be added to the server as it currently is, but minor changes outside of mathematics could make this better [state below].
  3. 3. Religious Leaders

• This should be added to the server as it currently is, but changes in its mathematics would make this even better.
    • This should be added to the server as it currently is, but minor changes outside of mathematics could make this better [state below].
  4. 4. Spending Faith Points: Nations

• This should be added to the server as it currently is, but changes in its valuations would make this even better.
    • This should be added to the server as it currently is, but some of the options should be removed, or I feel some new options should be added, or some other change should be made [state below].
  5. 5. Spending Faith Points: Religious Leaders

• This should be added to the server as it currently is, but changes in its valuations would make this even better.
    • This should be added to the server as it currently is, but some of the options should be removed, or I feel some new options should be added, or some other change should be made [state below].
  6. 6. How strongly do you agree with this statement: 'religion should have a mechanical impact on nations'

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  7. 7. How strongly do you agree with this statement: 'religion should be the focus of more event-lines on LotC'

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  8. 8. How strongly do you agree with this statement: 'religions should have artifacts which possess significant mechanical effects capable of meaningfully influencing nations'

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  9. 9. How strongly do you agree with this statement: 'this poll is beneficial to the server, and more polls like this should be done in the future'

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  10. 10. Do you think religion should have a greater role in national political mechanics (e.g. providing discounts to war claims under certain circumstances)?

• Yes
    • No

As someone who really doesn't like implementing religion OOC or IRP, I would like not to be disadvantaged in my time playing. And I also don't want to disadvantage my nation because I'm not a worshipper, this would be starting to feel a bit too much like the real medieval age.  I feel ok in my nation, I am not obliged to join the religion and thats perfect to me. I don't know if this poll is good or bad but I don't want religion to overtake, it's already very present.

That's all!

this is cool in theory, but as most people have said it just seems unnecessary. what would be better is a command showing players links to religions (like the nations plugin that u can do if you're a wandering soul). i think i'd participate in more religions if i didn't have to go searching through the forums for a single post about titles within the church or the church lore

staff shouldn't be involved in running events for player religions because:
1) it will prioritise the religion that gets the most events as the most "legitimate" and kill any other any other groups attempting to establish themselves
2) staff bias
3) religion is a community thing and has a lot of layers, if staff involved do not understand something and try to make an event where its clear their understanding of the religion is bad, then that just overall sucks.

We don't need faith points and more fake currencies, this isn't a paradox game.   If people want their religion to be influential then they should just actually organise RP to attain doing so. Such a system will only fractionalise communities so they can get more epic piety points and watch number go up, instead of generate any interesting narratives.

Why do we have to have all this stuff on our persona cards? I thought this was a roleplaying server, not a weird RPG grind where every bit of information about our characters has to be mechanically specified and set in stone.

Nationality and religion should remain entirely IC and not have a mechanical representation, period. Otherwise NLs will constantly lobby citizens and passers by to join their nations and religious authorities will get angry when you don't put their religion down on your card, but that's just my opinion. I've been vocal about my opposition to realm linking for a while so it's not a new opinion on my end.

I get why it's tempting to add a mechanical representation, but the server's supposed to be all about roleplay and we've gotten too deeply corrupted by the dynamics of nations and realms as it is.

I like the idea of adding a religion card to personas. I do not think this system should be implemented, beyond aesthetic purposes. Getting a special relic from eventlines with aesthetic effects would also be very neat, but I don't trust players to be running around with fire aspect swords. If these relics are purely RP, why do they need mechanical effects?

I also would honestly love to see a persona card format for Nations themselves, in which the current Ruler/s, Religion, Religious Leader + Council staff etc. are all listed. You could make it super adjustable, so Nation Leaders could add in the name of each title + the player:
Koeng: Sigismund
High Princess: Idril Sylvaeri
Steward: Dyonne

etc. etc.

I think this would add a neat little flair to Nations + their regions, and would provide more assistance to new players, or players new to communities, who need door/gate perms, a house, or to join the guardforce. They could simply run /nationcard, and see which player/s to contact, rather than having to jump through hoops finding a discord, contacting x amount of people, etc.

Do you have any idea just how diverse the religion RP is just among the Wood Elven playerbase? 

It's all not just the Wild Faith, which is the worship of Mani, but you have Aspectism, the worship of just Aspects, the entire spectrum between the two points. Heck, some druids, who you'd expect to be located at some point, might see it as a philosophy setting.

The high elves have philosophical religion, so how is that even gonna fit into the system?

I'm not sure what the dark elves have going on.

And how are the artifact and events going to work if certain religions, such as Wild Faith (Mani and Aspects are real, but they don't care for any of what the Wood Elves do), Cannonism, the Red Faith, the Dwarven religion, and etc. are, for the lack of better term, have no substance in the overarching lore. What is powering these devices?

And we already had an issue where an ST touched a religion figure without knowing the lore, resulting in people actually thinking the Hummingbird Mani can hear their prayers, where in truth, they can't and wouldn't openly interact with the wood elven people out of good faith. 

So, yah, even if you accounted for the various of flavors of the religion found within the server, wouldn't a good portion just have no power as they're based off of false assumptions? 

Not that there's anything wrong, I so love the idea some things are lore aren't correct from an Ooc stand point, but the characters believe it so much it doesn't matter. It is real to them, effects their everyday lives, and does have influence.