[✗] [Lore Amendment] Blood Magic - Ensorcell Material

rdowdy

1 hour ago, rdowdy said:

So far I've seen one argument actually criticizing the peice.

Alright, allow me to present another argument against it if i may.

Your suggestion is that a player who isn't a blood mage should have to expend 1 genus to use the enchantments on an ensorcelled weapon. Most characters on LOTC will have 3 genus as a result of being a non-high elven descendant, at least at base level. This means that what you are suggesting is that people should use a third of their genus, something that would exhaust them quite a bit (refer to augmentation for such) only to make use of what is admittedly more often than not fairly weak enchantments.

If the suggestion was that they have to spill blood on the item (which by all means it should be clarified all ensorcelled weapons should have), then I would be wholly in favour of the amendment. However what you're suggesting is that in order to make a sword light on fire, a person should give up 1/3 of their blood, which is not a step in the right direction to me.

Also while you may call Blood magic a Dark Magic (In fairness, it is by server definition), it is accepted in it's whole by at least two nations, that being Nor'Aseth and the Iron Horde, where practice is by no means uncommon. I do not believe that we need to be limiting a magic's development and popularity growth if it has been done through valid rp as it has been.

To me this amendment lacks grounding in reality, both in regards to activating the spell/enchantement and in tackling the genuine issues with blood magic, such as having to do anything of interested with ST and having very weak blood bending abilities.

p.s Ofc no hate to you, I've put out unpopular amendments before, It's very well written for what it's worth, i would just rather not see it implemented.

32 minutes ago, HIGH_FIRE said:

Alright, allow me to present another argument against it if i may.

Your suggestion is that a player who isn't a blood mage should have to expend 1 genus to use the enchantments on an ensorcelled weapon. Most characters on LOTC will have 3 genus as a result of being a non-high elven descendant, at least at base level. This means that what you are suggesting is that people should use a third of their genus, something that would exhaust them quite a bit (refer to augmentation for such) only to make use of what is admittedly more often than not fairly weak enchantments.

If the suggestion was that they have to spill blood on the item (which by all means it should be clarified all ensorcelled weapons should have), then I would be wholly in favour of the amendment. However what you're suggesting is that in order to make a sword light on fire, a person should give up 1/3 of their blood, which is not a step in the right direction to me.

Also while you may call Blood magic a Dark Magic (In fairness, it is by server definition), it is accepted in it's whole by at least two nations, that being Nor'Aseth and the Iron Horde, where practice is by no means uncommon. I do not believe that we need to be limiting a magic's development and popularity growth if it has been done through valid rp as it has been.

To me this amendment lacks grounding in reality, both in regards to activating the spell/enchantement and in tackling the genuine issues with blood magic, such as having to do anything of interested with ST and having very weak blood bending abilities.

p.s Ofc no hate to you, I've put out unpopular amendments before, It's very well written for what it's worth, i would just rather not see it implemented.

I appreciate this feedback. I don't disagree necessarily 1 genus is a fairly high price to pay, my original idea was to use like 1/2 of a Genus so a person could technically use it twice before they reach actual consequences. Honestly, I think a possible change might also be to instead of a Genus cost require say... two emotes to cut themselves and spread blood over the material. 

Hmmm. Another idea is to require a person to take one emote to cut themselves, spread the blood and actively bleed well it is activated. No genus cost but if they stay in the fight for to long they would suffer from the normal effects of blood loss. 

2 minutes ago, rdowdy said:

Another idea is to require a person to take one emote to cut themselves, spread the blood and actively bleed well it is activated. No genus cost but if they stay in the fight for to long they would suffer from the normal effects of blood loss. 

See this idea I like. At the end of the ensorcellments come about due to blood and should be activated by blood anyway... which I believe most if not all of my ensorcellments say. It would be good to see something like this implemented.

6 hours ago, HIGH_FIRE said:

You know, I think this is a point not many have really considered. Most of the growth to me feels slow and natural. 

But I feel like the point isn't quite "Oh it's accepted here and there" but more so the fact the enchants are being mass produced. Idc myself if nations start accepting the magic, but it's more so the fact it's just slowly being more and more abused.

20 hours ago, rdowdy said:

Blood Magic is Dark Magic. Why are Ensorcellmemts as freely accepted as Voidal Magic Enchants?

tbf voidal magic is worse than blood magic 90% of the time... people gotta stop making tears
I don't see the issue in people having funni glow sword beyond what Traveller already mentioned

20 hours ago, NLThomas said:

You know, I think this is a point not many have really considered. Most of the growth to me feels slow and natural. 

But I feel like the point isn't quite "Oh it's accepted here and there" but more so the fact the enchants are being mass produced. Idc myself if nations start accepting the magic, but it's more so the fact it's just slowly being more and more abused.

If a magic is more accepted socially speaking, generally the uptake of people using the magic will increase as they won't have to hide it as much. As the uptake of people using the magic increases, more people will be able to, and therefore make ensorcelled weapons. I don't believe this means the magic is being abused, moreso more people are using the magic.

Also I struggle to see where the actual abuse is. If over production is really the issue, ST can always cut the 4 items every two weeks down to 2 items every two weeks or something along those lines.

Tbh I'm at the point where I'm debating trying to rewrite blood magic unless there's another project for it going by people more dedicated to the magic. It's got a lot of just... weird things going on. (No I'm not looking to Grandfather myself into the magic or try and wipe it.) 

The issue is I have no idea how long a rewrite would take and I'm not really dedicated to the magic as a whole... so uh I don't have a lot of commitment to doing it.

I still think this ammendment is something worth using in the meantime though. 

On 7/11/2023 at 2:08 AM, rdowdy said:

I appreciate this feedback. I don't disagree necessarily 1 genus is a fairly high price to pay, my original idea was to use like 1/2 of a Genus so a person could technically use it twice before they reach actual consequences. Honestly, I think a possible change might also be to instead of a Genus cost require say... two emotes to cut themselves and spread blood over the material. 

Hmmm. Another idea is to require a person to take one emote to cut themselves, spread the blood and actively bleed well it is activated. No genus cost but if they stay in the fight for to long they would suffer from the normal effects of blood loss. 

This is already kind of a thing, as most people won’t be able to patch their wounds in the heat of battle, and it already takes 2 emotes to activate a combative item.

I agree with ben’s post, restricting who uses it won’t fix anything, a clear tell might. Bleeding on your item, or using it to wound / kill someone is already kind of what’s done; it gets blood on the item, and more often than not, it’s apparent that someone’s bled on it. I think an effect or something similar — like say the item begins to warp, the blood bubbles, froths, the item oozes smth, or smth else — on the item in particular is a more notable way to alert someone that “Oh!! This item’s magic — it’s one of those vile blood items!!!”

As well, if the ST deem a player to be over producing, they CAN — as stated in the redlines of ensorcell material — refuse to sign the item. If the issue persists, they can enact some form of punishment on the player. I don’t know if they have yet, but they can and should in some instances.

There are plenty of issues with bm, but I don’t see restricting players use on not only combat items, but harmless, and purely aesthetic items as the way to go. 

This lore has been denied.

We are looking into other ways to help bloodmagic, but this is not as helpful as we would like it to be.