9.0 Combat Rules Update

Spoopy_Duck

also I know this is really really late (I forgot to comment for over a week) 

but among the other amendments/alterations I presume will be made, can we get some consideration towards what constitutes as being "involved" in combat before a vote may be had to PVP, potentially even if it simply entails that a person needs to be actively fighting back before they can be legally involved?

if you played at any point during 2016-2019 you know how much of an issue it was where people would emote *throws rock at bystanders, slashes sword across crowd, emotes in your general direction* in an attempt to force pvp by involving these players in their emotes and going ((okay that's 8 status up :D))

I shouldn't really need to explain why it's shitty, but it's a very easy change to make that I think will offer an extra layer of assurance that this rule can't be taken advantage of in such a way if raids are to become common again

@Spoopy_Duck

23 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

also I know this is really really late (I forgot to comment for over a week) 

but among the other amendments/alterations I presume will be made, can we get some consideration towards what constitutes as being "involved" in combat before a vote may be had to PVP, potentially even if it simply entails that a person needs to be actively fighting back before they can be legally involved?

if you played at any point during 2016-2019 you know how much of an issue it was where people would emote *throws rock at bystanders, slashes sword across crowd, emotes in your general direction* in an attempt to force pvp by involving these players in their emotes and going ((okay that's 8 status up :D))

I shouldn't really need to explain why it's shitty, but it's a very easy change to make that I think will offer an extra layer of assurance that this rule can't be taken advantage of in such a way if raids are to become common again

@Spoopy_Duck

For some reason the forums aren't pinging me but I saw this thankfully!

So the middle paragraph of this statement is actually ne to me (joined in 2022) so honestly not even something that was on my mind when writing this up. So to answer this to the best of my ability involved in combat really means you are in it which there are 2 ways to be in it. You are part of the group once combat was initiated or you joined via the late arrival method of 2 emotes. Either one of those conditions would have you in the combat, which does not really get around the issue that you presented. 

If you can think of a way to word it or something along the lines I can forward it through I at the current moment cannot brain enough to think of a way to write rules. Discord: spoopyduck since that'll be easier than a forum back and forth imo.

1 hour ago, Spoopy_Duck said:

If you can think of a way to word it or something along the lines I can forward it through I at the current moment cannot brain enough to think of a way to write rules.

simplest way imo would be to simply add a disclaimer below the initial rule such as something along the lines of:

"Being involved in combat entails that both parties are actively attacking one another, including magical spells of any type. Simply spectating combat does not count towards combative involvement."

that way it covers the ground of whether or not being within range of combat or spectating or even being caught in the crossfire counts as involvement. but yes I do recall this being an extensive issue. I can't speak on how frequently it happens now, but I do know players who did this those few years ago still actively play the server (feel free to DM)

not sure how strong of an opinion other people have on this so it's not like I'll throw a fit if it doesn't make it into the rules but I just thought it's worth at least mentioning

The CRP rules need some work.
I stumbled upon some CRP. Being a guard i wanted to jump in and help the citizens, but due to the new rules i couldn't intervene, because it was already locked. So i just watched two people get bonked, their souls sucked out and the two 'criminals' went poof(because spooks powers) with the two people waking up from the attack. So i guess for my character, somehow, absoloutly nothing happened :) and that really annoyed me. I UNDERSTAND why the new rules are in-place - to stop CRP becoming too crowded/ooc-rallying, but this was literally a crime being commited in the middle of the street without ANY consequences. Either make the 'locked' timer longer(though people will just lie about it then) or put a cap on how many people can take part of non-event CRP. Cap could be like 8 people max, or depends on active combatants. For example: in a 2v2, only one or two more can join to keep it somewhat equal.
(edit: If a close one or if you're a guard and a citizen is being attacked, you should be able to join. It would make no sense for them to not try and stop it.)

TL;DR: These new rules take out some danger/unpredictability of CRP and gives murder hobos and villain RPers a hard-on, because they can just murder someone in the middle of the street and then ****-off without consequences.

Edited by MrMojoMordor
friend gave a good idea.

MRP is NOT real. MRP is NOT real! Mechanical Roleplay does NOT exist!