Bring back defender default, seriously

bickando

Defender Default vs CRP  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Bring back defender default?

• Yes, I enjoy fair fights and challenges when initiating conflict and adverse rp on other players
    • No, I'm a cringe ST rper with 5 hrs to spare that needs (dark souls-adjacent life essence name here) from pink tags

On 10/27/2023 at 9:21 PM, RIGOR said:

**** that.

I got no place in this argument because I don't really care anymore because combat in general on here just falls down to who is the most annoying grinder (whether it's netherite gear or gate-kept carbarum ST items).

When anybody becomes an adult and they have a combination of things such as school and work and other life factors weighing in, it is completely reprehensible to tell them to open up their schedule more. (BTW most people on LoTC are adults, it just happens that many of them happen to be mal-adjusted ones).

The truth is that as an adult I have less time to play either way and that if it weren't for having a group that's willing to gear me, there'd be little place for me in the "competitive arena" segment of this server, CRP or Mechanical wise. Which is OK if people are fine with that environment, but personally that's why I invest my time RPing in private servers with friends who care about story/DnD game-play because you're not gonna find impartial rulings here.

Truth is that the current system is very hostile to people who have to come and go and have a normal (non-gamer) schedule. Many people are not willing to invest 10+ hours a week into the server when they have bills to pay, a degree to earn, or other hobbies (guitar/judo or something). Server should be designed so that it's friendly to RP, not so that people need to invest large amounts of time into progression.

In some areas (LC), this is respected. In other areas (Combat) it is not. Events are a good exception since when run well, an event is a good thing to set time aside for like DnD. But for random one-off encounters with people who don't know decency or etiquette? Why should anybody have to sit through that and then potentially have to spend hours negotiating or discussing intervention with Moderation?

Maybe there's no perfect fix; but the server needs to move in the direction of alleviating time constraints and enabling friendlier ways for players to interact peer-to-peer, rather than exacerbating pre-existing tensions between groups with rule-sets that are often biased or informal.

I fucks with this.

slapfive-dap-up.gif

On 10/28/2023 at 1:52 AM, Laeonathan said:

can literally always continue the next day youre free. nor is it typical that crp takes 3 hours...

I will never understand people who actively want to continue a CRP the next day. I just want to get it over with and go next, like a match of league. 

Also I don't think I've had a CRP last less than 2 hours in the last 3 maps at minimum. It's super typical unless you're doing a practice spar with homies. Not the CRP itself but the #looc crying that occurs from one side or the other like Eli cited. I've had people say they need to go to bed in 30 minutes then stay online three+ hours to complain and argue against any blow that might be fatal to them. 

People just dislike losing, it's human nature, it's whatever. 

It's kinda stupid that crp can last for hours. If I have an hour to spare and pop onto the server, the experience is significantly worse when that entire hour is spent arguing ooc'ly over crp details and being banned when I legitimately have to leave for combatlogging. 

I'm slow so I don't know what either of these mean, or what defender default is, but I like the CRP where you initiate combat with someone in RP, and then you actually swing at each other after a countdown until one person is on the ground.

Rolling for actions isn't too bad either, but the honor system leaves me feeling anxious to overstep because I want the other person to enjoy their CRP experience without leaving my character open to getting steamrolled in the process.

TLDR: I liek da fighty wit swordz