[✗] [World Lore] Core Runesmithing Runes

Badgermordakin

CORE RUNES

XBYZUv9cs-q3L-BzBIDQ86ughP_g8XFX_KYQD6f5_VmygaFzEh8pZNicv8njwPJld2WskEC4emRy2EHX8c5EA2S5oiL_Ie_A1LL5IqlkSG7H__ne67m_5TT67GXnxbVhImZ8BfxmFTGzjvYzL5g5WxI

An orcish runesmith imbuing an object

Forged and created by the first runesmith, these core runes serve as the very foundations of runesmithing, often the first ones taught to a novice runesmith. They have held their place in the most masterful of crafts and are known to all well-studied runesmiths. The runesmith’s arsenal of runes are made up of Rune Carvings, your traditional runes carved into items and objects; and Rune Casts, a newer form of runic magic serving to temporarily inflict the effect of a rune into an area of 3 blocks radius.

Rune Carvings

RUNE OF PUSHING [C]

This rune expands the range in which an item can function, doubling it from its former characteristic. Such a rune might make a potion bottle feel lighter, an arrow whizz out its bow’s string with unprecedented speed, or a wizard’s staff teem with greater energy.

Spoiler
  • Doubles the range in which an item can be used

• In cases where this rune is carved into things that already increase the range of an item’s effects (e.g. Arcane foci) the original range is quadrupled

• Can be carved into large built firing implements (e.g. canons, trebuchets, etc.)

• Requires player signature

RUNE OF POWER [C]

This rune serves to create a greater force in which projectiles might fire from their respective firing implements. Such a rune might make its item wear much faster, strings fraying or rust growing.

Spoiler
  • Increases the force from which a fired projectile hits with up a “level” (e.g. bow firing with power of crank crossbow, crank crossbow with the power of arbalest, etc.)

• This effect can also be applied to magical projectiles from enchanted items. Apply logically (e.g. Fireball wouldn’t benefit from this, but an earth spike would)

• Refer to Techlock for forces of respective weapons

• In cases where unsure, merely double the original force

RUNE OF GROWTH [C]

This rune doubles the area of effect of the item in which it is carved into. Such a rune might make a potion more unruly as its contents fight against their container or a druid's staff hum the sound of nature louder.

Spoiler
  • Doubles the area of effect in which an item effects (e.g. a 3x3x3 area effect now affects a 6x6x6 area)

• In cases where this rune is carved into things that already increase the expansion of an item’s effects the original area is quadrupled

• Can only be used with item effects that affect an area (e.g. Tanglefoot potion, Air Sweep, Druidic Cleansing etc.)

• Requires ST signature

RUNE OF CONTINUITY [C]

This rune doubles the time in which the effects of an item last. Such a rune might make the item last far longer without rusting or blunting.

Spoiler
  • In cases where this rune is carved into objects where the objects duration has already been doubled the duration of an item’s effects the original duration is quadrupled

• Can only be used with item effects that have a duration in which they last (e.g. Cat’s eye potion, Terrestrial Conjuration etc.)

• Requires Player signature

RUNE OF CLARITY [C]

This rune serves to maintain the concentration of those who use items that it is carved upon. Such a rune might draw an observer’s eyes to focus intently on it, strangely entranced by its image.

Spoiler
  • Allows a spellcaster or anyone else who needs to maintain concentration on an item’s effect to keep that concentration when they otherwise would have lost it (e.g. getting kicked in the head, punched in the face, tripping over, etc.)

• Can apply to casting implements that increase concentration to maintain concentration when casting magic with them (e.g. druidic staves, wizard’s wand etc.)

• Does not negate any ill effects done to the user, merely allows them to maintain concentration/charge through an instance that would normally break concentration

• Can only be used ONCE per combat encounter before runes need time to recharge

RUNE OF STRENGTH [P+C]

This rune serves to channel the bearer’s anima to strengthen the craft of their prosthetic, creating a more powerful object than previously known. Such a rune will make its bearer’s prosthetic able to wield more strength than it previously was, enabling a greater craft.

Spoiler
  • Allows a prosthetic craft to become just under a “level” stronger (e.g. enabling an elf to have an arm with the strength of just under that of an orc)

• When unsure of the next level, just double strength.

• This strength applies ONLY to the prosthetic into which it is carved, the rest of the body is not strengthened. You would still find difficulty lifting heavy things as the rest of the body is not built to bear such weight

• The person bearing the prosthetic MUST have a greater soul from which the rune can draw anima from to power itself

• Requires ST signature

Rune Casts

RUNECAST OF RIGIDITY [C]

This rune serves to increase the strength of the armor of those who stand within, increasing its capabilities against those who seek to breach its confines.

Spoiler
  • Increases the strength of the armor of anyone who stands within to slightly above the level of steel and below bluesteel

• This rune has no effect any armor that is already stronger than steel (e.g. carbarum)

• This runecast only affects the runesmith’s allies and themself

• This rune has no effect on Thanhium due to its anti-magic properties

RUNECAST OF FRAGILITY [C]

This rune serves to decrease the strength of the armor of those who stand within, decreasing its capabilities to allow enemies to breach its confines more easily.

Spoiler
  • Decreases the strength of the armor of anyone who stands within to just below the level of leather

• This rune has no effect any armor that is already weaker than leather (e.g. cloth)

• This runecast only affects the runesmith’s enemies

• This rune has no effect on Thanhium due to its anti-magic properties

RUNECAST OF REDUCTION [C]

This rune serves to decrease the size of spells and potions that land within it. Any potions or spells that land within would find their areas of effect halved.

Spoiler
  • Halves the area of effect of spells and potions that LAND IN the rune

• In cases where halving makes a decimal (e.g. 3 block radius being halved to 1.5 blocks) round up (e.g. 3 block radius being halved to 2 blocks)

• Only effects spells/potions with areas of effect

RUNECAST OF EMPOWERING [C]

This rune serves to increase the size of spells and potions that land within it. Any potions or spells that land within would find their areas of effect doubled.

Spoiler
  • Doubles the area of effect of spells and potions that LAND IN the rune

• Only effects spells/potions with areas of effect

RUNECAST OF IMPEDIMENT [C]

This rune serves to decrease the energy of those who stand within it. Any within would find that what would once be easily handled by them has now become a laborious task.

Spoiler
  • Gives the equivalent of voidal weakness to those within this rune

• This runecast has no physical effect on voidal mages

• This runecast only affects the runesmith’s enemies

• Doubles the fatigue spellcasters gain from casting spells while within this rune

RUNECAST OF VIGOUR [C]

This rune serves to increase the energy of those who stand within it. Any within would find that what would once fatigue them greatly now only does so a little.

Spoiler
  • Halves the general fatigue gained by doing actions when within this rune

• This applies to other effects such as spells that aim to force fatigue onto a person

• Halves the fatigue spellcastors gain from casting spells while within this

• This runecast only affects the runesmith’s allies and themself

• Can be used to justify casting more spells than would normally be possible by spellcasters

Credits:

BuffBadger - Primary writer

XxEnderking - Secondary writer

_RoyalCrafter_ - Secondary writer

Changelog:

Spoiler

PURPOSE (OOC)

Spoiler

This write is meant to serve as the first runes to be used for my latest Runesmithing rewrite and should not be approved unless it is. It is my intention with this write to provide a base set of runes from which runesmiths can work and provide a template for future writes of new runes that people may desire for expanding on runesmithing and greater customization.

Me, trying to find the weakest rune, shaking head. It's impossible, they are each incomparable to the insane effects. 

I really do like the concepts your going for, and I'd like to see this post be accepted.

However, I think it's rather safe to say that a lot of these runes are just VERY strong excluding maybe the rune of pushing (with just a slight tweak for it to only work if it's carved onto ammunition, NOT cannons)

So, here's my take on each one to nerf/tweak each rune and I think better the odds of this getting added.

- Rune of Pushing

Spoiler

Should only works on ammunition instead of larger implements too (Arcane Foci, Armaments, Trebuchets, Cannons, etc).

Reasoning is that arcane foci are already powerful enough. could you imagine this being paired with a focused brisk step lmfao? Good luck trying to get into melee. It'd also better the usage of ranged weapons, as since you can only make oh so many runes per day, it'd limit how many 'sniper rounds' you'd have- making for more interesting encounters instead of just "Guh, me shoots farther".

- Rune of Power

Spoiler

Honestly? not too many complaints on this one. Just give it a limit to being at max uruk/olog strength, because lord knows some lads are going to arm a brutus golem with a high density boomsteel hammer then etch this on the side.
Overall doubling strength when unsure is pretty iffy though, and could be problematic- wonder if this redline is even required thanks to the 'upped by 1 level' line. An earth spike hit you in the stomach, empowered by this rune? shove it in a little deeper than usual, is all that's needed.

- Rune of Growth & Continuity

Spoiler

No quadrupling please god, have mercy.
Beyond that quite okay-ish, so long as the spells/potions at play have a direct counter or aren't too severe- it'll be quite problematic/unfun to go against if they do not.

- Rune of Clarity

Spoiler

Perhaps just specify that using more than 1 rune of this during a crp session is impossible. Could definitely see folk having one inscribed on each and every single enchant they bring. Other than that, sort of balanced? Though it would effectively guarantee casters using at least 1 spell when in a 1v1 before the other guy can do anything about it. Pretty unsure of this one.

- Rune of Strength

Spoiler

Honestly just better bolstered strength.
Again, apply strength limitations like Rune of Power- perhaps make plate armor on that limb 'clog' the runes at play & disable them just to make sure folk don't go full robocop.

- Runecasts in general

Spoiler

How can these tell friend and foe apart, is my main question.
If they couldn't, it'd make holding positions that apply buffs far more important and more interesting story-wise rather than just 'trap setting'.
I think it'd be significantly better if it shifted with a cap on how far/low affected attributes can go, similar to 'Rune of Power'- Rigidity and Fragility increasing/decreasing the strength of materials/people inside by 1 tier.
Other than that, quite nice.
Though one could argue that the simple counter to these things is just... stepping off them, or forcing others off of the rune circle.

Overall I do think I am relatively new when it comes to lore writing, do take this with a grain of salt- just my take on it all.
Heres to hoping that this gets accepted!

Edited by SlitheryC1

6 hours ago, SlitheryC1 said:

I really do like the concepts your going for, and I'd like to see this post be accepted.

However, I think it's rather safe to say that a lot of these runes are just VERY strong excluding maybe the rune of pushing (with just a slight tweak for it to only work if it's carved onto ammunition, NOT cannons)

So, here's my take on each one to nerf/tweak each rune and I think better the odds of this getting added.

- Rune of Pushing

Reveal hidden contents

Should only works on ammunition instead of larger implements too (Arcane Foci, Armaments, Trebuchets, Cannons, etc).

Reasoning is that arcane foci are already powerful enough. could you imagine this being paired with a focused brisk step lmfao? Good luck trying to get into melee. It'd also better the usage of ranged weapons, as since you can only make oh so many runes per day, it'd limit how many 'sniper rounds' you'd have- making for more interesting encounters instead of just "Guh, me shoots farther".

-imagine using it on a pike... double the reach!
- Rune of Power

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly? not too many complaints on this one. Just give it a limit to being at max uruk/olog strength, because lord knows some lads are going to arm a brutus golem with a high density boomsteel hammer then etch this on the side.
Overall doubling strength when unsure is pretty iffy though, and could be problematic- wonder if this redline is even required thanks to the 'upped by 1 level' line. An earth spike hit you in the stomach, empowered by this rune? shove it in a little deeper than usual, is all that's needed.

-its only on ranged weapons

Reveal hidden contents

No quadrupling please god, have mercy.
Beyond that quite okay-ish, so long as the spells/potions at play have a direct counter or aren't too severe- it'll be quite problematic/unfun to go against if they do not.

-isnt the hard cap shout range anyways?

- Rune of Clarity

Reveal hidden contents

Perhaps just specify that using more than 1 rune of this during a crp session is impossible. Could definitely see folk having one inscribed on each and every single enchant they bring. Other than that, sort of balanced? Though it would effectively guarantee casters using at least 1 spell when in a 1v1 before the other guy can do anything about it. Pretty unsure of this one.

- Rune of Strength

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly just better bolstered strength.
Again, apply strength limitations like Rune of Power- perhaps make plate armor on that limb 'clog' the runes at play & disable them just to make sure folk don't go full robocop.

-arent prosthetics usually normal descendant strength? like an ork with a prosthetic is actually weaker since it doesnt carry the double strength?
- Runecasts in general

Reveal hidden contents

How can these tell friend and foe apart, is my main question.
If they couldn't, it'd make holding positions that apply buffs far more important and more interesting story-wise rather than just 'trap setting'.
I think it'd be significantly better if it shifted with a cap on how far/low affected attributes can go, similar to 'Rune of Power'- Rigidity and Fragility increasing/decreasing the strength of materials/people inside by 1 tier.
Other than that, quite nice.
Though one could argue that the simple counter to these things is just... stepping off them, or forcing others off of the rune circle.

Overall I do think I am relatively new when it comes to lore writing, do take this with a grain of salt- just my take on it all.
Heres to hoping that this gets accepted!

5 hours ago, Wulfric said:

- Rune of Power

-its only on ranged weapons

skimmed over that, mb lmfao. Though then again, 'projectile' also applies to throwables- therefor our totally real brutus golem could just 2 emote throw the hammer & get said benefits

-isnt the hard cap shout range anyways?

I am unsure as to how this is relevant, and I really ******* hope players don't have area of effect attacks/spells/potions that affect everything in shout range lmfao

- Rune of Strength

-arent prosthetics usually normal descendant strength? like an ork with a prosthetic is actually weaker since it doesnt carry the double strength?

Correct, but then one could argue it has more weight behind it and just say "Yeah it's orc strength dw bout it" when it comes to attacks by default.
but again, tawkins technically already buffs people up through the modification 'bolstered strength'- however it actually has a drawback unlike this rune.

@Wulfric

Edited by SlitheryC1

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.