THE SOCKS OF STRATAGEM | Two Acts

zuziee

A ONE-HANDED COMEDY:

av_qFJb8a18UY6yxauKKRn5iQulhmcLctymTzSiUBTaO8dv47kiOp2AlWguWRZLmwle7QvoFUxp9ebHDxC1yOeen4-RuYICyRj8ss3TMpEcB9l0vSoTbJ7Xp15P5e_zRKTwJSEwKXN8C-r8pogPwXBM

_19R4bNsR7SXjpbGacHeYD4ppr2sTo798ZELxIkaQ_7OYLl4XsqpY0A8q_064ixR28z4da3vUsc5QjO_qy3tSGaGOgDzqT_lMYtfoMx6LGRZkokdnIJq5ZW2eZ80X-9FNo760sv1GpHVMmIh_UYdego

Written by

LUDVIKA SOFYA LUDOVAR

On this 10th day of Msitza ag Dargund of 510 E.S.

PREFACE & PLOT

A short comedy written only in the left hand where Ludvika, a lady kidnapped by Veletz soldiers, encounters Ruben, a mischievously honorable knight. Faced with a strange request, Ludvika endeavors to knit two pairs of socks. This lighthearted play explores themes of creativity, adversity, and adaptability as Ludvika navigates her predicament. 

SETTING

Set against the backdrop of the Aveos Coalition War, this comedic tale takes place within the confines of a large feast hall in Veletz, a city bearing the scars of conflict. The hall itself is made of stone with solemn paintings of old fallen soldiers across it. At the heart of the room, a fireplace radiates a comforting warmth, well kept despite the times. 

CHARACTERS

LUDVIKA: A middle-aged lady of Ludovar kin, a writer without her right hand.

RUBEN: A young knight from Veletz. 

_________

ACT 1 | The Request

Spoiler

(The curtains open to a dimly lit room in an old castle, Ludvika, a captive with only one hand, is sitting on a chair, looking disheveled. Ruben, a mischievous boy, enters.)

Ruben: (with a sly grin)Hark! Ludvika, you shall be my captive audience.”

Ludvika: (startled) “Oh, woe is me! Where am I? What villainy has befallen me?”

Ruben: (bowing dramatically) “Fear not, young lady, for you are in the presence of Ruben, a rogue by name but a jester at heart.”

Ludvika: (confused) “A jester? Why have your people kidnapped me, then?”

Ruben: “It is a tale of socks, Ludvika. I have a request for you. Knit me a pair, no, two pairs of socks!”

Ludvika: “What madness is this? I have but one hand to knit!”

Ruben: (producing red yarn and knitting needles) “Ah, fear not, for I shall help. For the first pair, they must be crimson as the rose, a vibrant red.”

Ludvika: “Very well, but what purpose does this serve?”

Ruben: (grinning) “It is a surprise, m’lady. Now, let your needle dance!”

(The scene transitions as Ludvika reluctantly begins to knit the red socks with her one hand and mouth. The curtain closes.)

_________

ACT 2 | The Reliquishment 

Spoiler

(The curtain opens to the same room, now adorned with various knitted items. Ludvika is holding the completed red socks.)

Ludvika: (resentful) “I have knitted as you asked. Release me from this cruel captivity”

Ruben: (admiring the socks) “Ludvika, you are a weaver of wonders. But our revelry is not yet done. Behold, the second pair!” (Ruben then unveils a bundle of burgundy, a bundle of black, and a bundle of gold yarn) “Now you shall make socks with fierce dragons on them”

Ludvika: (exasperated) “Dragons on socks? Are you touched by madness? What of the Veletz bull?”

Ruben: “Not at all Ludvika, it is but a touch of whimsy. Knit these socks, and our time shall come to an end.”

Ludvika: “Very well, but after this, you will release me!”

(Ruben watches with glee as Ludvika, with determination, knits the dragon-patterned burgundy socks with her one hand and her mouth holding one of the needles.)

Ruben: “Bravo! Now, Ludvika, you have earned your freedom.”

Ludvika: (standing proudly) “Finally! Pray, tell me the purpose of these socks and the dragons.”

Ruben: (mischievously) “It is a jest, dear lady, to lighten the heavy heart. These socks shall be a gift for myself and the Captain General, who shall dance with delight at the sight of dragons upon his feet.”

Ludvika: (smirking) “A delight, indeed. Farewell, Ruben. May your pranks be ever merry.”

(As Ludvika exits, Ruben looks at the socks with a satisfied grin, ready to unleash his comedic masterpiece upon Velketz as the curtain falls)

The 'War Poet ' Leonid seemed confused at the setting of the play, as he himself wasn't even aware that his betrothed had been captured! A tragic tale of how war separated the two more than they already were.

Grisha gets a new pair of anchor socks from Ruben and Ludvika. "These prisoners are gracious. So glad we let them go after we get a few basic tasks done." 

A chuckle escapes Adriel as he reads the play. For a moment he ponders at its reality when suddenly the floodgates of memories open in his head, ones he had hoped to keep repressed. One night during his "knightly" patrol of the keep, he hears some strange giggling coming from one of the rooms. Unfamiliar with the sound, the brave elf chrages onwards, barging into the room with his hand on the hilt of his glowing druidic weapon only to find the Captain General himself, wiggling his toes in dragon-knit socks. The two shared a look, one that Adriel understood well. . . One that bid for his eternal silence.