[✗] [World Lore] Thulith’tayna

MayRndz

Thulith’tayna
The Living Metal

EFe1qMj.png

Material Name and Description (Raw Form)

Buried deep within caves, the material having remained untouched by descendants for the longest time resided a mineral that pulsated with natural energies. Discovered by the Mali communities it eventually bore the name Thulith’tayna, or the living metal. The mineral bears pungent green markings, deep crevices and cracks running along the material making it appear extremely brittle, near impossible to break off in large chunks. The ore itself bore a dark appearance that contrasted the swirling green streaks. It was incredibly light, but what it lacked in density it made up for in its fragile complexion. Chaotic echoes of sound reverberated off the metal.

The unrefined ore is capable of leaving a prolonged ringing in one's ears; irritating and distorting. Often leaving symptoms similar to sea sickness such as headache and nausea to one who leaves their ears unprotected.

On top of such the material has the following alchemical properties:

Signs:
Aether
Earth

Symbols:
Life x6
Agility x4
Growth x2
Purity x2
Sound x2

Red Lines (Raw Form)

- The ore is incredibly brittle and must be carefully chizzzled from the surface around it, otherwise it would break into dust in smaller chunks.

- Its extremely light however as mentioned its brittle complexing makes it fragile to handle.

- The echoes of sound reverberating off the ore would be chaotic and loud to those who held the ore, unsettling to keep around for too long.

- The unrefined ore is so loud it is capable of leaving one's ears ringing, causing headache and nausea.

- Wearing something to muffle or prohibit the sound would make it progressively easier to mine the ore.

- The ore does not require an ST signature. 

- For alchemy and similar applications related to magic, roleplay of gathering must be present.

- This cannot be used without learning of the metal, its uses, and methods for smithing IRP.

Applications (Raw Form)

The application of the material whilst still in raw form is quite straightforward and simple. Possessing very few uses outside of the alchemical properties - essentially acting as a source of flowing life force which whilst in raw form can be tapped into by those understanding of its properties.

Raw lifeforce itself is able to reaped from the life of this material, each raw unit of the metal capable of producing 2 units of lifeforce. Able to be consumed by Necromancer, or put to use in the creation of a unit of liquid lifeforce through the Rite of Draining upon the raw material.

Harvesting Method

Thulith’tayna is generally found in caves deep within forest and jungle areas that are overgrown and unmaintained by descendants. The deposits have had years to build up being left undisturbed. Though it's not uncommon for the sound of the mineral to lead you to it, many would find themselves simply believing it was a part of the natural forest till they found themselves in close contact. In order to obtain the mineral one would use a chisel and hammer, carefully working their way around the edges of the material to break it free.

Harvesting Red Lines

- Harvesting this material is a long tedious process to break it free, taking upwards of a couple hours.
- Due to the sounds reverberating off the mineral many would find it hard to concentrate, and upon leaving the caves their ears would continue to ring for a short amount of time.
- Wearing something to muffle or prohibit the sound would make it progressively easier to mine the ore.
- The harvesting method must be learned in roleplay.

Material Name and Description (Refined Form)

The refined living mineral has no specific set application, varying from smith. The material itself is similar to ferrum in terms of strength. once refined and shaped, however when hit against other metals would offer a reverberating echo to all ears in a radius. 

Example being a sword clapping against another would cause it to echo its song.

Given the natural energy of the material itself magic users would find themselves unable to leave any voidal based effects upon the metal, a rejection to its very nature of dispelling the unnatural. However tapping into deity based energy one would find themselves capable of harnessing the energy within the material and put it to use.

Though typically druids cannot infuse metal in this case given its raw natural lifeforce, they would find infusion capable of blessing the material. Given its natural composition those blessed by the spirits would find themselves similarly able to manipulate and put the material to use within their arsenal for blessings and the sort.

- The material is no stronger than Ferrum in composition.
- Given its complexion, once the metal is shaped it cannot be reshaped without risk of it breaking.
- It can be smithed into practically any item that you can make from Ferrum.
- Voidal magic would be incapable of enchanting the material, instantly dispelled if attempted.
- Druidic Infusion would work upon the material.
- Shamans would be able to tap into the natural material, capable of blessing it and putting their own twists to use upon the metal.
- The material reverberates an echo of a song when hit against any other metal.
- Whilst the reverberating effect is in place a user would be stunned for 1 emote following the strike. Disrupting any focus based magical connections, otherwise creating a general stun effect in a 6x6 radius.
- The user of the metal would face the stun effects as well unless their ears were plugged or covered by some IRP means.

Applications (Refined Form)

Weapons & Shields

Weapons and shields are able to be forged from the material, similar to ferrum in terms of strength. once refined and shaped, however when hit against other metals would offer a reverberating echo to all ears in a radius. Whilst not being a particularly powerful or strong material, it would find its own personal use in combat capable of stunning, and disorienting attackers.

- The material reverberates an echo of a song when hit against any other metal.
- Whilst the reverberating effect is in place a user would be stunned for 1 emote following the strike. Disrupting any focus based magical connections, otherwise creating a general stun effect.
- The user of the metal would face the stun effects as well unless their ears were plugged or covered by some IRP means.
-  Armor made from it would be rather useless - regardless of ear plugs the wearer of the armor facing the stun effect as it reverberates acrossed their body.

Instruments

Given the unique song of the metal itself, it is able to be made into instruments that produce various tones and songs based on the size and shape of the item. Offering a truly unique instrument for bardmancers and alike to use.

- While offering no personal advantage to the bardmancy magic itself it allows for a new material and sound to be tapped into for roleplay purposes.

Jewelry

The material itself would be similar to Ferrum in composition in strength when smithed into the refined form. The metal reverberates with a specific ring when hit against other metals, producing a unique echo.

- When cast into smaller objects such as rings and pendants the echo offers a subtle ring in one's ear but does not leave lasting damage to one's ears not having the stun effect on trinkets.

Refining Technique 

Harvesting the living metal is fairly straightforward, so long as one carries a steady hand and the right tools. Requiring one to first locate the location of the metal deep within a cave, prepared to be met with its reverberating tone. Once successfully harvesting a chunk of the material they then require a furnace capable of at least reaching the forging point of ferrum. 

The smith must put the material into a crucible and melt it down at temperatures around 930°C scraping off excess impurities from the top as it begins to become hot and molten. If one doesn't scrape off the excess impurities then the metal will begin to crumble before they can cast and shape the metal.

Once melted it will need to be casted into a bar before being able to be put through the long process of hammering, shaping, and stretching the material to its desired shape. Given the song of the metal and its fragility, the hammer must be swung at a constant tone almost like an echo of the song the mineral lets off. The musical art allows it to be shaped undisturbed by the conflicting sound.

Refining Red Lines 

- One is required to remove the impurities as they work, less the metal will become brittle and start to crumble once heated.
- The cleanest way of shaping and forging is through casting an ingot and beginning to shape what is desired from such shape.
- The refined metal takes a black green tint.
- Does not require an ST signature, can be found, refined, and forged through mundane methods.
- The ability to Smith the metal must be taught IRP.

Spoiler

The idea of a material like this being entirely open defeats the purpose of it being unique, but I don't like ST signatures given that it then requires events to obtain and adds more for ST to have to review with req's which I know can be annoying. Therefore I want it to be an open node but knowledge of the material and its methods must be taught IRP like alot of the alchemy additions / some other open node materials.

If approved im going to reach out and make a list of folk to be grandfathered w/ the knowledge spread acrossed various communities this primarily being some Necromancers, Druids, Shamans, & Bards of various places. Later to be updated in this Spoiler. Not locked into one place, but still endorsing the roleplay to learn.

I am confused. Does it stun user, target or both?

I also don't understand why it's immune to voidal magic while interacting freely with any other magic as if it was any other object (except for necromancers which can farm life force from it)

Is there a range for the disconnect of magi? Everyone in #rp distance or #s distance?

I like the concept, though the main reverberation effect could use some work in my opinion. It's worth noting, though - a voidal mage struck by any weapon is going to get disconnected, nevermind whatever wacky effects it has. 

I would clarify either the range of such a stunning effect, as well as what it entails (can anyone caught in take a major or minor action? what about movement or speaking?) ought be more clear. Additionally, does the effect only target the wielder and target, or does any piece of this metal giving off its stunning effect apply such in a radius? 

Personally, I think the reverberation should be on some cooldown per encounter - having it occur a unlimited number of times per encounter seems a bit strong, nevermind the potential for stunlocks. Something as simple as X number of emotes per occurrence of the stun, or a maximum number of times it can occur per encounter would be helpful

Overall it's really neat idea, and mages malding over the idea of specifically being targeted should remember they can be disconnected by a random brick being thrown at them, which requires far less effort then trying to melee CRP a mage.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:11 AM, Samler said:

(except for necromancers which can farm life force from it)

I just wanted flavorful metal and lore team told me to make it friendly to necromancers since its a life bank.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:11 AM, Samler said:

I also don't understand why it's immune to voidal magic

The magic is inherantly unnatural, while compatable with diety magics because it is natural. A void mage could use it, just cant enchant it. You would be killing the natural life bank by imbuing the void into it in the first place making it mundane ferrum at that point.

On 2/6/2024 at 1:55 PM, PrimnyaQuorum said:

voidal mage

Its not a target on void magic its a target on ANY focus based connection.

I would clarify either the range of such a stunning effect

added

(can anyone caught in take a major or minor action?

Its a stun as stated, means theyre stunned for a full emote.

does the effect only target the wielder and target, or does any piece of this metal giving off its stunning effect apply such in a radius? 

this was already clarified in redlines, it will stun both unless the user has ears plugged somehow.

and mages malding over the idea of specifically being targeted should remember they can be disconnected by a random brick being thrown at them,

Dont know why theyre malding over a metal that has no statement of target twords the void but a general connection and a stun that would apply to anyone mundane or not, itd be the same as a really loud alchemy potion. The void ISNT actually mentioned at all in the post besides saying you cant put enchants on it. which honestly I find entirely fair given alchemy and voidal magic is barred from other metals, I allowed diety magics Shamanism and Druidms because they tap into elements and the natural world not inherantly having any combative advantage. Necromancy was something I was solely told to add in the last feedback thread.

15 hours ago, MayRndz said:
On 2/6/2024 at 8:11 AM, Samler said:

I also don't understand why it's immune to voidal magic

The magic is inherantly unnatural, while compatable with diety magics because it is natural. A void mage could use it, just cant enchant it. You would be killing the natural life bank by imbuing the void into it.

You could clarify that the material is in fact living, and that would eliminate inconsistencies. Enchantment does not work on Living material due to other factors, not because it kills the life it is enchanting.

6 hours ago, Luxury said:

You could clarify that the material is in fact living,

"The Living Metal"
"Raw lifeforce itself is able to reaped from the life of this material, each raw unit of the metal capable of producing 2 units of lifeforce. "

"pulsated with natural energies"

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.