An Examination of Matrimony

Nectorist

Monk Matsuda Sakuraba was told of another man of the cloth at the Monastery of St. Juli'el who had written on marriage, and took to looking over his work. After a few moments, he had realized that Father Davide had written perhaps the first ever comprehensive Canonist reflection on the possibility of homosexual marriage! The piece caught him completely off guard and challenged his sensibilities...

He reached out for further discussion with the young man.

Atticus Reinhold is visibly impressed as he finishes the final paragraphs of the analysis, a slight shake to his hand as he thumbs through the pages. The entire thing was a slight rollercoaster of emotion, if he had to be honest, yet- By the end, for one reason or another, he felt a sense of quiet elation. A tentative, but glimmering hope. He takes a steadying breath as he places the paper down, willing his excitement not to get the better of him. Instead he picks up a pen, looking to show his gratitude.

Spoiler

Father Davide,

I pray that this letter finds you in good health, and good spirits. I recently had the fortune to come across your writing regarding the roles of 'husband' and 'wife' as defined by the Holy Scrolls, and I was taken aback by the depths of your study. I mean this only in the most positive way, of course- Such a unique yet well-founded examination is rarely seen, and it has been some time since I was able to observe an interpretation of the texts that deviates from the most commonly accepted readings. On an academic level, this analysis is a work of art I will be referring back to for years to come.

On a personal level, you have imparted me with a sense of hope I had long since given up on. For many years, I have found difficulty when defining myself as a man of faith. My love and loyalty is always to GOD, but I wrestled with the worry that there was something within myself that spoke contrary to His own wishes. I feared, as many fear, that I was at fault for the conditions of my birth. Though I have since come to terms with my perceived imperfections, you have inspired me with the belief that I have not acted against His law in following my own happiness. For this, I must give you my thanks. Even if others do not share your view in the end, hope is a powerful and blessed thing.

GOD Bless,
An Anonymous Reader.

Edited by Hom

"His entire argument resteth but on the weakest of premises: on redefining husband as active partner and wife as passive, and removing the element of the sexes. But the Flexio language doth not admit of this. For the word Vir can mean husband, but it can also mean man. And the word femina can mean simply woman, but it can also be used in the sense of a wife, especially in relation to a husband "femina sua" is used in the sense "his wife" but literally meaneth "his woman." As "Vir suus" meaneth "her husband" but literally "her man." Thus it is clear that the Flexio language clearly understandeth and defineth husband as "male" and wife as "female." This beeth naught but sophistry, a twisting of the plain meaning of the Scriptures in order to justify sins condemned by centuries of Church teaching." Writes Offa with concern to the High Pontiff, hearing of events from his trip to Churland with great distress.

"The Flexio literally saith et "Ego feci caritatem viri et uxoris." Literally: "man and wife." When I return to Aevos, I must needs do all in my power to silence this madman, who has drunk the spirit of the world and the vanity of the present age over and against Divine Revelation which cometh through meek submission to His ways, rather than imposing our own desires so wantonly in this manner."

Markus Sarkozic recalls a memory of when he first encountered homosexual behavior, and rambles to a Numenedain knight.

“I can remember exactly when my epiphany was. I hadn’t thought much about it, to tell you the truth. I was a squire in Velec, and my papej was dropping me off. I remember I was about to get out of the cart, and I look to my right, two well-dressed men in wigs kissed each other. They gave each other a kiss. And I’ll never forget it, I looked at my papej, and he said, ‘Mark, it’s simple. They love each other. It’s simple,’ — now I’m not joking … And it’s never been, it’s never been … It’s just that simple. It doesn’t matter whether it’s same-sex or a heterosexual couple. They should be married. What is the problem?”

Adalfriede of Hexenwald pored over the paper, jotting notes in the margin with one hand while her other finger traced over the words of the Holy Scrolls. Her copy was lavishly illuminated, silvery gold ink reflecting the light of a candle nearly burned to a stump. Certainly an interesting, thoroughly researched opinion... though she had her own thoughts.