A Grey Sea Snake [PK]

A Grey Sea Snake

Di3Qou5_HPGn6X7WUg5B6g_F9sGvV54nkV4ryfnkww8sf28y693yRnHDvpEKa3NNCrFJUaWoc2to6SGrGbRD3iy5ISkQqwXGxB4xjWpj4b_e_sR-ymBxrbE8vJNgZ4pR9UXMWZe1IreV0ThJNXxi5jc

Rickard Gustav Vanir proclaiming his last will and testament to his Great-Grandson, 173 S.A.

God, how long has it been?” Rickard thought to himself as he gazed around the dimly-lit room which he sat in. “A hundred and fifty-five years… God, what a life.” 

Grandfather?” a teenage voice spoke, releasing Rickard from his mind. The grey-haired man turned to the voice - His Great-Grandson, Theon Vanir, was sitting to Rickard’s right. Rickard looked at the quill and paper in the boy’s hand Rickard hummed softly, remembering what he had been doing prior.

Sorry lad. Lost my train of thought.” Rickard waved a frail hand about, as if dismissing his thoughts. “I have nothing more to add to the paper. That is all.” 

Theon nodded as he set down the paper to dry and stood to leave the room. Rickard let out a cough and called out to the boy.

Theon, come. I am not quite done.” Rickard hoisted his frail hand up, pointing to the turned boy. Theon turned to look upon his Grandfather and sat beside him once more. “What can I do for you, Grandfather? More water?” 

Rickard laughed, coughing into his hand once more. He then shook his head. “No boy, but thank you. There is something I must request of you personally.” Rickard reached his hand out, which was gently grasped by Theon’s.

In my life, I have…neglected my historic duties. I abandoned my homeland when our family was demoted and never once turned back. It is too late for me to make right the wrongs, but it is not for you.”

Theon bore a confused expression on his face, a tear beginning to slip down his cheek. “What do you mean, Grandfather?” 

I have taught you all I know about House Vanir and our history, but our status as a house…it is gone. Many believe us to be extinct. Theon, you must change this. You must return to Haense, reclaim our ancestral title, and restore the House of Vanir.

Theon looked taken aback by his Great-Grandfather’s request. “Grandfather I…What you ask of me-”

I have full faith in your capabilities, Theon. Go to Haense and pledge your sword to them. Do what I did not have the courage to do.”

Theon took a deep breath, wiping the tears from his face. He then bore a determined look upon his face. “I will do it, Grandfather. For you, for my Father, for all of us.”

Rickard smiled, lightly tapping Theon’s hand. “Thank you. You have given me peace, now go. I wish to embrace the light of the almighty God.”

Theon gave a half-smile to Rickard, then slowly released his Grandfather’s hand. The young Vanir then rose to his feet and exited the room, leaving the elder Vanir to pass in his sleep an hour later.