[Magic Lore] Vexes of the Vein

This looks really fun! I would definitely be keen to play a character in this niche

holy shit i love this- ive always thought that sprites and fae creatures didnt have nearly enough things connecting them back to the fae realm

big +1

Could you expand on the "creating a Court" part please? Using an example character and the meaning behind the Court they're creating. If that's not a bother of course 

this is actually pretty cool wow

4 hours ago, Samler said:

I get the using of Tayna to describe the mana, but as an elf player practicing voidal magic I feel an instinctive calling to oppose it. This might be entirely illogical.

Can you elaborate more on this? Is it because it uses an Ancient Elven term or because it'd be giving a defined name to fae/druidic energy?

Seems off that lesser souls CAs (Musin, Hou'zi) can learn this magic.

This is the intent, yes. Since the magic uses a medium, a Fae Liege, to enable normal folk (normal being non-fae and non-transcendents) to use fae magic, there isn't a reason they'd be unable to learn the magic. Notably though, they'd likely be unable to circumvent the afterlife consequences, at least not without a MArt'd rite or something to prevent it.

Wyldburst seems incredible powerful, I feel it would be more inline if it was 3 emotes: recurve/longbow 4 emotes: Crank Crossbow 5 emotes arbelest, meaning if connected you do still outperform the mundane counterpart, untill the 5'th spell as then you would have no more 'ammo'. 

Boomvoice, makes sense to add Atronachs to the immune list I guess?

Trickery I feel as if it shouldn't affect voidal conjurations, as to disrupt a dependent summon is practicly the same as disrupting an evocationist's spells, as they are not given commands, they are being directly manipulated. Can't comment on other dependent/independent creature sources with my lack of knowledge on how they are controlled/bound.

We will run through and give it another review/discussion in regards to the feedback, thank you very much! 👍

6 hours ago, Jihnyny said:

This cant work with the Haruspexy or lutaumancy feat. I’d say fix that in the ‘working with all deific feats’ part.

( shamanism)

We will correct this, thank you for the heads up. 👍

4 hours ago, MunaZaldrizoti said:

c2547c7dbdd7e1c7cf884e058a932a4d.gif

@peachcooland I were literally talking about how the server needed more faerie-oriented magic and opportunity for the Fae to be explored as a potential culture/roleplay niche. This looks incredible!

fairies!!!!!!!!!!! :D

11 hours ago, Werew0lf said:

terrible, to be frank.

You're called Frank?

16 hours ago, Fleur___ said:

Should a person enter combat in this shrunken state, they will immediately return to normal size in their mechanical location.

Me when I sneak up behind someone as a tiny child-person then bring out my knife, immediately becoming large and then killing them by stabbing them through the back.

17 hours ago, Fleur___ said:

Whimsy

Seers, Druids casting Greensight and those wearing alchemic goggles able to see mana, are able to ignore the effect entirely.

I may be misunderstanding the spell, but why? Seers can only avoid visual disturbances, this redline makes it seem like only an illusion. If it was only an illusion, an arrow turning into a flower would still pierce your skin and kill you.

17 hours ago, Fleur___ said:

Should a Court have no bound Vexes, it will lose its connection to the mortal plane and the affected area becomes mundane once again.

That's OK this'll never happen because of inactive ppl!!

19 hours ago, Unwillingly said:

I really like this, would love to see a fae magic that isn't druidism. I've always been a sucker for cool mystical fae genres, jim henson films like the dark crystal and labyrinth pulled a lot of that off really well. I think my only critique is that it's kind of lacking ability/combat-wise and could definitely be more than what it currently is, but I also understand not wanting to go crazy due to this being a brand new magic system

The gist was originally to keep it more-so in the lines of flavor RP and whimiscal fae tomfoolery rather than offering too much combative potential. It's not a magic meant to skew offensively and be some new form of combative style, we felt like that is already slotted by Druidism's objective to protect nature, and that's supposed to linger as more of a support magic than ever becoming a proper combative magic.

Combative potential can be bolstered through MArt spells though. Each Vex can create a unique MArt Spell and unique MArt Rite, with each vex holding a third slot which can be used to learn another Vex's MArt of choice, whether it be a spell or rite. If people desire to make combative MArt spells or rites, then they can do so (so long as they can get the LT to approve the MArt at least). Hence a given Vex could make a combative MArt spell and combative rite then learn a 3rd combative MArt, whether spell or rite, from another vex shall they decide they want to go through the effort.

4 hours ago, VoidTermnia said:

holy shit i love this- ive always thought that sprites and fae creatures didnt have nearly enough things connecting them back to the fae realm

Not to get any hopes up, but you may or may not be able to expect to see a rewrite for Sprites posted by Fleur and myself in the foreseeable future.

5 hours ago, Le_Psit said:

Could you expand on the "creating a Court" part please? Using an example character and the meaning behind the Court they're creating. If that's not a bother of course 

The meaning of creation is already detailed under the 'Fae Courts' section. The meaning behind the court is to bring a portion of the mortal realm more in-line with the nature of the fae realm. I don't quite understand your question elsewise, could you elaborate what part you're confused on?

The bit that I'm referring to under 'Fae Courts'

22 hours ago, Fleur___ said:

A Fae Court is vital to any Vex desiring greater capability. The Fae Realm lacks many of the logical limitations of the mortal plane, thus inhibiting a Vex from awakening their full potential so long as they are bound by rules which were never meant to be applied to their powers. Only by binding themselves to a Fae Court, which simulates the lawlessness of the Fae Realm, may they override the influence of the mortal plane and become able to weave Tayna arts to a greater extent. In addition to this, most entities of fae nature will be relieved of strain they might’ve felt while within the mortal plane. This allows for quirks to occur, such as the empowerment of Vexes while within the region and the ability for fae to descend using the beacon and linger in the mortal realm so long as they remain inside a Fae Court.

1 hour ago, Pengin said:

Not to get any hopes up, but you may or may not be able to expect to see a rewrite for Sprites posted by Fleur and myself in the foreseeable future.

👁️👁️

8 hours ago, Jihnyny said:

This cant work with the Haruspexy or lutaumancy feat. I’d say fix that in the ‘working with all deific feats’ part.

( shamanism)

Both are already stated as incompatible, as they would fall under "Deific feats."

21 hours ago, Fleur___ said:

Vexing is compatible with Cursed Children, Alchemic Feats, Vivification, and all Druidic and Misc feats. It is incompatible with all Voidal magic feats and all other Dark and Deific feats.

6 hours ago, Pengin said:

Can you elaborate more on this? Is it because it uses an Ancient Elven term or because it'd be giving a defined name to fae/druidic energy?

It just ticks me off in some way that is bound in no logic. :P Closest thing I can get is it's already being used to describe mana in general, tieing it specificly to one magic (voidal or otherwise) feels a bit wrong on a OOC level. I do also think I am the only person on the server this rubs off in the wrong way. 

@alexmagus Added some redlines and tweaked some text after seeing your notes. Any additional comments?

(Red is new/tweaked text)

Scaledust

On 4/4/2024 at 5:47 PM, Fleur___ said:

A shrunken individual must dedicate a full emote of unshrinking before being able to initiate combat (punching, unsheathing sword, etc.) Should they be forcefully unshrunk by the start of combat, they still cannot unshrink and perform a combative action in the same emote.

Whimsy

In combat, the Vex may send a stronger burst of Tayna to stop or redirect mundane attacks from individuals within [20] blocks of them by spending [2] emotes (Connect, Cast.) It does not put the target in a vulnerable position nor interrupt any non-attack related action, simply allowing the Vex to escape unharmed. This can manifest in any natural manner, such as a sword suddenly feeling heavier than normal, arrows turning to flowers as they're pushed off course, or the Vex appearing somewhat displaced as to throw off the aim of a potion. This may be used once per encounter in combat, and an additional time for each Tier above 3, at a max of 3 times per combative encounter.

Seers, Druids casting Greensight and those wearing alchemic goggles able to see mana, are able to ignore the illusion effect entirely. However, their mundane attacks are still able to be stopped or redirected by the combative version of the spell.

7 minutes ago, Fleur___ said:

@alexmagus Added some redlines and tweaked some text after seeing your notes. Any additional comments?

No I believe you ate it up now

3 hours ago, Samler said:

It just ticks me off in some way that is bound in no logic. :P Closest thing I can get is it's already being used to describe mana in general, tieing it specificly to one magic (voidal or otherwise) feels a bit wrong on a OOC level. I do also think I am the only person on the server this rubs off in the wrong way. 

Admittedly, I don't quite understand this gripe. While it would be tying the word 'Tanya' to the deific mana of the Aspects, it's not as if it'd be some grand lore trap or restriction like referring to animii as animii instead of automatons or saying lunarite is lunarite instead of starsteel, It'd still be utterly free to be IRPly interpreted as desired by whoever for whatever reason they'd please since this is just a lore formality. Nobody involved in the write even plans on using the term 'Tayna' IRPly if this lore gets accepted. And besides, when tayna is literally meant to mean life energy in ancient elven, I don't see the issue of having the server's actual life energy be formally referenced as such?