[✓] [Lore] Flowing Sun Martial Arts

MetaSolaray

What do you think?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Flowing Sun

• Good, I support this art going through
    • Good, I'll support, but I think some fixes are needed
    • Still needs work, I'll wait and see what you do.
    • Not needed or wanted. (Post explaining why please)

Rosso and his stick XD

I try using Jui-jitso( Been doing it since I was little) in my own rp. Not for the playing to win of course, just to make things exciting and less bland combat wise. However, It will normally nearly shuts down the roleplay when I do it. I sort of stoped because of it, the moves get pretty complicated. So I totally understand the stoping.

I could add to the unarmed bit of the martial art if you liked : )

I'm all for making arts detailed and "flowerly" to make it more then simple sweeps and strikes. It's more engaging roleplay in fights, and allows and forces the user to think. One thing you might notice is I dont' have a labled "WEAKNESS" for anything, my reasoning is simple, I want to FORCE people to think, "How would my character beat this guy's stance..." if you can't figure it out....tough.

Villains don't role play their Achilles heel, why should I give a huge red flag saying "THIS IS HOW TO BEAT ME."

((OF course I have this info needed for any Lore Masteres who wanted it if ever came to be.))

Yes, you do need to have this accepted before role playing just as I needed to have my martial arts lore accepted before role playing it.

Really, haven't had anyone bring up the issue to me, and honestly I feel it comes a strong piece of lore due to the bonds of people I've RP'd with learning more lore (Which got added) and who even helped me balance out some of the stances. Without their help I'd have had to stick my head in the sand while I hunted in the desert by myself.

Yes, you do need to have this accepted before role playing just as I needed to have my martial arts lore accepted before role playing it.

I believe you had actual magic in Haruka lore, as I recall.

I believe you had actual magic in Haruka lore, as I recall.

False. My lore had to be accepted by the lore master Gaius Marius and involved no magic in it. I will repeat, if I had to get my martial arts lore accepted, than no matter how well you think your role playing, and no matter how few people complain to you, you need to get this accepted before role playing. As of now you are doing what is called "Power gaming" by giving you this fighting style without having it approved first.

Edit: On another note, you joined this server on July 31st. You have only been role playing this lore for not even a month as far as I know, and you are already a master at it?

Well, I like this more than the Haruka lore anyway :3 (My opinion)

Anyway, the question I'm sure many have asked, How do you join?

False. My lore had to be accepted by the lore master Gaius Marius and involved no magic in it. I will repeat, if I had to get my martial arts lore accepted, than no matter how well you think your role playing, and no matter how few people complain to you, you need to get this accepted before role playing. As of now you are doing what is called "Power gaming" by giving you this fighting style without having it approved first.

Edit: On another note, you joined this server on July 31st. You have only been role playing this lore for not even a month as far as I know, and you are already a master at it?

It's not called power gaming. Is he in any way being Over powered? Is he denying to die? Is he refusing to lose? No

By RPing it he was trying to work out kinks and find out what and what not to do, in no way did it harm anyone. I have seen him use it and it seems fair, it does not grant him anything too special besides a fighting style. It also does not matter what date he joined if he can RP it well, and maybe it is part of his back-story or something?

Didn't personally know or see this so I can't possibly debate that with you, and how is it powergaming....The stance doesn't provide magic nor anything but a very precision method of combat that my character follows.

Also if you didn't catch it in the lore the original founder calls her family the "Solaray's" Which...if you read Master Meta El SOlaray's name...means he is a direct relative (As the origin female did NOT have the ability to have her own children) of her, and thus probably have been getting taught (and has in his backstory) been taught this stance since he could walk. In his backstory, biography and much of the RP developed around him has had him bring up constantly the training he endured, how he dealt with it, and the effects of the training on him.

He literally lives, eats, breaths, talks, walks, this fighting style every second of every day of it. And no he is not "a Master" at it, he is the highest user of the art with the most training and calls himself "MASTER" Meta El Solaray, notice in his art bar he only has ONE stance mastered to the highest level.

Also I did not intend to "powergame" as many of the people who did it with me had no qualms about it, if anything it helped me learn more about my own art by having to use it instead of sitting around and doing nothing. It also reflects a large portion of my character's back story and life, him NOT doing it would have shattered his character and I'd have been spending the time since I joined dwindling my thumb, as what is the point of playing a character who cannot perform what he is needed to do.

Well, I like this more than the Haruka lore anyway :3 (My opinion)

Anyway, the question I'm sure many have asked, How do you join?

I will be making sure to add this to the Opening POst, but I'll answer it here as well. If your character or yourself are interested in learning the Martial Arts you'd have to seek out Master Meta El SOlaray (Meta), as of right now he's wearing his formal robes it'd be a bit of a stretch to find him, but a few people in the world, especially on the island of the free know about his fighting style. If you're willing to learn, he's willing to tutor.

Very well done, Meta.

I enjoyed helping you shape the archery portion of this, helping you refine it. It makes archery so much more exciting to rp. It's got a great back story, and the ideas are well thought out. I've seen several of the weakness in the stances and I wasn't even looking for them as you refined the stances.

I look forward to continuing to help shape and define this art with you and learning more of the spiritual side of it as well, as it brings my char a sense of balance that she seemed to lack, at least to me.

This piece of lore is rather well done but I find a need to delve deeper into each of the stances. Each stance represents an element and the fighting stance is similar to characteristics of that element.

Water: Flows

Wind: Speed

Fire: Fast, Powerful

Earth: Sound,strong Defense

You have already supplied wonderful descriptions of the physical characteristics of each of the stances but other than water, there wasn't any depth spirtually. Someone who is so skilled in the art of an element should behave likewise. That element should make up the fiber of their being. Also I might add that I don't understand why water was the only stance to have such characteristic and such drastic characteristic. If someone taps into the "flow" without being prepared thenc they are corrupted? Are all elemental stances based off nature and this "flow"? Or do I misunderstand something?

Anyways continuing...

An expert of the the Earth Stance would be calm and would be able to make sound decisions in the heat of any moment. Things such as this would help to create a more deeper lore and more interesting roleplay.

On the note of deeper lore I think it'd be interesting to see something about where fighters using this stance draw their power from. Maybe something like the deceased enter into the flow and one calls upon that flow for certain intense manuveurs.

On a final note, more diverse stances would be interesting. Such as a combination Fire + Wind stances to create Smoke stance or something similar to that where its a combination of the two stances but also has its own properties.

Goob job, I hope to see some changes to make this lore all the more interesting.

*cough cough shovel*

Haha yea, shame is I've seen him RP it, and he still does a pretty good job of losing at times. Unlike other martial arts RP.

A cute little snip.

This is the kind of things I actually had happen while developing this lore and art. Not only did I grow close to a very great group of roleplayers, but they also helped me balance out, placing power where it was needed, and taking some away where it was getting overpowered. It also helped bring the characters themselves closer as I hope the art actually does, the main reason for it in my belief is to teach a balance and belief to characters, not how to "Powergame" their way through a fight. Teaching them to run better roleplay fights is a side effect that I hope can inspire, and pass onto the next generation of roleplayers. A "Pay it forward" style...

A great snip was done here...

Well you've brought up several good points, so let me dutifully attend to each one.

1: Yes I do agree I can go back and bring out more flavor in each stance, as water is my personal favorite and I guess I showed favoritism when I went into the detail. Each of the stances draws from nature, and in return it also draws on the "Nature" within each human being. The users who master fire first will find their heart's conviction their strongest point, both willing to burn away at those who get in their way and aggressively move forward with their ideals. On the flip side, they'll also be hotheaded, temperamental, easily annoyed....these are flaws that can be worked on by a warrior, through other stances (Earth..Water? :D?) and meditation, which I hope will lead to great internal and external roleplay with the characters.

2: Combining stances is ACTUAL a W.I.P. update I will make IF this version is accepeted, the following next three implements into the Flowing Sun Martial Arts is the Stance of the Hearts Bonds, Light Stance, and the Shadow of the lone heart, Dark Stance. But most importantly is the single aspect that I hope will draw in users to want to actually RP learning this stance to gain this point..

Master Stance: This will be a unique and up to date aspect following every Master level Student (Master level after Meta would be Expert of all four stances, and having learned and controlled Light and Dark). This stance will be a UNIQUE stance for EACH master, which can be up to and including NEW elemental stances (Lighting, Ice, Aurora Rays, stars, etc.) or it can be a comibnation of other stances (Plains basked in Shadow (Earth Shadow), Sun Drop (Light Water), Light plain (Light Earth) Blazing Steam (Fire Water). While you may have two different users both have a fire water stnace, maybe how they use it will be entirely unique and different, and both will be added into the lore of Flowing Sun :D

Finally I do hope to make stances carry on more weight with which and what order they are mastered, as I think I might have forgotten to add...when a student begins learning the art, the master will study the student to see which of the four stances they will learn first, the one that rings true to their heart....so a student of calm and serenity will find meditation in water easier, while a headstrong and fiery student will learn fire the quickest. I will later go back and take your suggestion to make each stance stand out, so no one feels like they got the "less awesome" stance for their intial trianing.

Haha yea, shame is I've seen him RP it, and he still does a pretty good job of losing at times. Unlike other martial arts RP.

Hahaha, that I cannot verify myself and it's not my job to diss others :o but regarding the losing winning aspect. I never want to RP to powerwin, that's no fun, losing is actually more fun as it builds a resason to win the next time. "Once you're on the top of the world, you realize you no longer have a reason to climb."

I can see you put a lot of work in this and seeing it actually roleplayed.. you are very good at what you do. Your role play is definitly A+. It is the best i've seen on the server so far and have no doubt you could accomplish this with ease. I love the fact that you actaully play your weakenesses well and think this should difintly be part of the lore.

+1

As I have been reading, I have mismarked over this wonderful lore reading and over-obsessive on how good detailed they are and everythingaround them, I really liked the sword, stance: Calming water: water stance, Butthat might be my Opinion as my character goes, Daniel (playing a new one stillhave Evark) since he is one of your students now, still only the age of 7(Might hate you at times) likes your training and since of help from his fatherwill advance through it with your help, You do provide very good RP fightingand RP in general if it is helping someone out, or cheering someone up, a goodperson to do RP with and knows what he is doing and how to teach, again thiswas a wonderful read to read through and I personally hope a LM accepts this.

I think this lore needs updating, expecialy on the students, Meta having at least two more students than before, in sword and unarmed combat arts.

And soon... we will see who truly is a master, Meta, or Rosso. Prepare...

We weren't 'techincally' fighting in the tradiational sense but Meta was very good at the fight and I saw no unfair advantage from his martial arts, on either fight occasion. Hope yer bite wounds healed well Meta, and I support. If I'm suppose to support that is. I like this lore :>