[✓] [Awaiting MAT Review] Electrical Evocation [Magic]

Supremacy

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should this lore be implemented?

• Yes
    • No (Give reason)
    • If it is altered (Give reason)

First, Kalenz yes, sorry for my mistakes, but I have sadly acmeto the places that somehow prevent me to place full stops down and instead this“ , “ as it would signal a stopping point for me.

=@=

Second the post that I made was not just intended for hiseyes or RolePlayed skills but others all round, I was only using Meta as anexample since of that post he made when it was intended for all eyes to see ifthey wanted to do the same as he did or otherwise, Again sorry for the loss ofthe full stops, but it seems that is how I write and it is a bad habit, yes itis highly unlikely to happen in the cases but it can also happen, if you were amage only training to summon electricity, flames, earth, water, or any substancejust from your hands and not use them as projectiles then yes it can bepossible.

Edit:

Sorry but yes I should leave it towards the magic team orhim to respond himself but again. . . as I have said countless times beforehand it can be very hard to read what I am writing and understand what it isintending to mean.

double Edit:

Again sorry for my ramblig, I am tied and very sick, so it mght turn my words futher over the mountain then to just acend it.

When I say 'spells', I'm more referring to different uses for this magic. I think it's kind of wasteful to have a whole new element of evocation and only having a single 'spell' ( Electric-bolt ) for it. For example, Shades have a whole array of 'spells' ( Summoning Tendrils, stealing someone's body, etc. ) and are capable of using each depending on their experience, but it seems that in its current stage, Electric evocation is only going to have a single 'spell' to learn for anyone seeking to master it. If there were a 'variety' of spells it would give an apprentice more things to learn instead of mastering just one.

This isn't my idea so I can't exactly insist upon any changes, but as I've said, I think this new evocation element would definitely benefit from having more available spells / abilities.

Hahaha thanks western for the helpful advise, and I've considered going into writing, when I'm less lazy but let's talk about what's discussed...

While I do agree, Master mage cannot be master swordsman, simply put it's not the fact that you lose your ability to wield a blade, but compared to someone who has 100% sword training to your 70% magic, 30 % sword you'd still be as good as ever, but you'd be /rusty/. FOr the magic of impowering a blade with elertical magic would use it as a form of a staff, a conductor that both focuses the energy to a central point of the user's choosing, (So instead of sending sparks that'd hit various foes around him, it would be channeled straight into the blade.)

This gives the user the strength to use said blade as a creative form of breaking through metallic guards, [iE: THe shield example] but at the same time it's also very ineffective against range enemies, as you still have sword, and the lighting CANNOT LEAVE THE SWORD without DIRECT contact. As Flaming swords have been done (And the Lux blade...love that thing) I would like to see if it was possible, although I would figure there would have to be an adjustment made to the guard of the blade so the lighting doesn't jump backwards and hit you.

The training if I was to gain an MA for this would focus purely on steel rods, of getting the energy to appear and substained. Meta has a very intent focus, and his martial art often shows this heighten experience. Though he may get the training quickly, he does not seek a "Higher plane of knowledge" in this regard and would after obtaining to do this on a regular basis, would seek to maintain it like a blade, but not seeking to go further. This would prevent him from truly being empowered with the magic by the tenacity of throwing bolts everywhere and empowering his blade.

While a Swordsman learning magic intensely shouldn't be that supreme with the blade, I do not see why it should completely punish someone for learning another trade. You do not expect a man skilled at swordsman and archery who then picks up alchemy to lose alot of his strength in swordplay. Why should magic be so costly with a very small reward for the length of training, [Alchemist fire can make fire appear just as easily, and doens't wear you out in the slightest for example.]

And swordplay isn't just, swinging your sword...try that against Meta, you wouldn't touch him a single time. ^_^ Just like magic isn't just...throwing bolts of energy.

If I remember correctly, it's been said that how learning magic affects your other skills almost wholly depends on how you learn said magic. If your focus is on combining your magic with another skill to the point that practice would keep one physically in shape, then their pre-existing combat skills should hardly deteriorate.

I'm not assured that doing a blatant C/P of InFamous' content would work well... so, I'll provide this video of InFamous movesets, hopefully, you'll understand what I'm getting at with such a poorly written post.

There is a slight problem with the mechanics of it. Electricity arcs to the earth, through the path of least resistance. Presuming your attack comes from you hands, the path of least resistance is straight back into your hands and down to your feet, past your heart, killing you.

Secondly, any form of metallic armour will act as a Faraday cage, meaning any electrical attack will earth without causing damage.

Indeed, we also have fire coming from nothing, objects which are lighter without explanation and shadows which can touch things. Let us assume that our delightful mage is capable of controlling the electricity he summons to an extent similar to that of a fire evocationist. That direction may be controlled.

Furthermore the electricity formed is not formed directly upon the subjects hands but next to them. As a fire evocationist controlling their fire does, an electrical evocationist controls the direction of their electricity.

As for a 'Faraday cage' you must understand that those in metal armor struck by lightning experience severe burns. That metal which is stuck by the electricity burns those struck by lightning, as can be seen on people stuck by lightning. Any metal in contact with their skin causes severe burns.

Google it. I assure you, it is not a good idea to be in armor when struck by lightning.

A faraday cage only works if you aren't touching it.

i.e. Oven time.

Ah this kind of discussion somewhat came when I was talking to Blaw around a month or so ago.

Electricity evocation will change it dynamics through and through, reason?. . . to OP. . . So the metal armor or Iron armor as what it is proper called would not hurt the living organism inside UNLESS, the electricity covers the whole body of iron first

Example: You want to electrocute someone hands but they have iron gauntlets on, simply cower over electricity and place it on them. But then the electricity has to cover the WHOLE iron gauntlet to do any damage to the inside, so that will enroll A LOT of power and MANA,

Electricity has and will be died down to levels of non Op’ness before acceptance, my words would maybe be, electricity can hover over your hands but if you wish to stretch it out then you need to stretch it out like a beam of something still connected to the original point,

Example 1: Origonal point,

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1366&bih=589&tbm=isch&tbnid=AChQfoxoaLC1jM:&imgrefurl=http://boutassai.deviantart.com/art/Sasuke-Chidori-128749701&docid=hLPGgfM6uhMKGM&imgurl=http://th06.deviantart.net/fs48/PRE/i/2009/189/c/a/Sasuke___Chidori_by_Boutassai.jpg&w=876&h=913&ei=AoW0UIGZFOH2mAWn7IHoBw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=229&sig=109179385340364356388&page=3&tbnh=147&tbnw=143&start=61&ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:91,s:0,i:403&tx=71&ty=96

Example 2: stretched electricit,

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?start=379&num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1366&bih=589&tbm=isch&tbnid=0uGvZueRJgW9EM:&imgrefurl=http://www.narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D212892&docid=UwhuWmz6tcjlYM&imgurl=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090828145543/naruto/images/archive/a/a8/20120118211542!Chidori_Sharp_Spear.png&w=513&h=283&ei=xYO0UNCcEa3nmAWYyIHgCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=480&vpy=289&dur=772&hovh=167&hovw=302&tx=217&ty=72&sig=109179385340364356388&page=13&tbnh=144&tbnw=261&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:89,s:300,i:271

Having studied Faraday cages, insulation would prevent damage, a simple layer of leather of clothing with protect you.

A few more things to consider are.

Air is a very good insulator, the amount of energy required to force an electrical attack through a large quantity of air is staggeringly high, way beyond what any person is capable of. Even if the current was minuscule, and the voltage raised to compensate, the attack wouldn't be fatal as you need high amps to kill.

Also, element already exists, it is a secondary element. Evocationists can only use the primary elements. There would need to be lore as to why they are suddenly be capable of using it.

And lastly, with regards to the arc, it will be almost impossible to prevent a direct arc to the floor. The only way I can think of is if an elementalist removed the air from beneath the arc, essentially creating a 'carpet' of vacuum under the arc, making the path of least resistance, through the target.

Also, element already exists, it is a secondary element. Evocationists can only use the primary elements. There would need to be lore as to why they are suddenly be capable of using it.

You are confusing Shamanism and Evocation. A mage may make what they desire from the void. Hence why conjurers can conjure and shamans may not. It also explains why telekinetic mages may control any solid object at will while a shaman controls the individual elements.

Having studied Faraday cages, insulation would prevent damage, a simple layer of leather of clothing with protect you.

Air is a very good insulator, the amount of energy required to force an electrical attack through a large quantity of air is staggeringly high, way beyond what any person is capable of. Even if the current was minuscule, and the voltage raised to compensate, the attack wouldn't be fatal as you need high amps to kill.

I'd argue the energy required to send a massive blob of water through the air or create a gust of wind is also very high. We need not rely 100% on science. Otherwise armed soldiers in diamond armor would tire in about 2 minutes of walking.

If you feel the need to pick apart this lore by every possible scientific detail I implore you to attack the accepted subtypes first and realize nothing on lotc is 100% sensical.

You are confusing Shamanism and Evocation. A mage may make what they desire from the void. Hence why conjurers can conjure and shamans may not. It also explains why telekinetic mages may control any solid object at will while a shaman controls the individual elements.

Evocationists can only use the 4 primary elements, electricity (or storm) is a secondary element, evocationists can't use it.

Evocationists can only use the 4 primary elements, electricity (or storm) is a secondary element, evocationists can't use it.

In that case, please explain how it's possible to evoke without adding one of the elements to it. Arcane bolts would be my example, which my understanding of is that it's simply evocation magic without the fire/water/earth/air. Elementalism =/= Evocation, which is something you seem to be getting mixed up.

You fail to understand.

This lore suggests the ability to be added they CAN make electricity. There is nothing stopping an evocationist from making ANYTHING. As sagwort has pointed out on many occasions, elements are used because they are familiar to the mage. Take Arcane Evocation as an example, it is not an element yet it may be done.

All arcane magic uses the same principle. Taking from the void and creating. This breaks no rule of evocation.

That being said, please don't take this post as an agressive post. I simply want to make the point clear that there are no 'primary' and 'secondary' elements in evocation. Otherwise Illusion, Enchanting, Conjuration and Telekinesis would make 0 sense.

I assure you, I have sufficient understanding on the matter. In addition Blawharg and sagwort have both viewed this lore already. Despite the fact they did have legitimate concerns (which have been adressed) the possibility of this was never an issue as it is possible, by the very same rules which make all other types of evocation possible.

If you feel I have inadequately explained this, feel free to ask on magic Q&A or scroll through and find some of Sagwort's posts. He has stated this precise thing on many occasions. Indeed, you may search for 'Arcane' and find my own question on Arcane Evocation where he explains this precisely.

If I am wrong, do correct me.

Snow/ice evocation already exist, which goes outside the main 4 elements, so adding new ones is fine. What this lore says is how it works.