[✓] [Invention] Telescope Lore [15/15]

Space

Yes or No?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

The only concern I have with this lore is that it would be used in battles, to see the enemy which could be a little meta.

And I think the concept of seeing enemies from afar is... A way to meta without breaking any rules.

Contrary to popular belief, the horizon of the earth (or in this case Asulon) could easily make it so that you cannot see a coming army. Hills would also be a harming factor. Also the fact that we still don't have glass molding to perfection, so the lenses will be off. It'll be like being able to see half-detailed at Far distance, maybe a bit further. Also I doubt people will constantly be checking the telescope. There are many ways to get around this, and it adds more tactics to the jobs other than "CHARGE, ARMY!".

Also that we will not be able to physically meta unless a plugin gets created where it say moves you (invisible) forward a certain amount just so you can see in that area, and creates a temp NPC of you at that location, however that's thinking too far ahead. We would not be able to use these for meta unless it's something that's pre-discussed in a war claim for example, but then the issue of a telescope would be brought up before the war claim happens. The purpose of a telescope is to add a bit of roleplay, and I think this is a fine way to do it.

+1

It's like you're pressing ctrl in optifine. Probably around a 3x magnification. It would be impossible to use for meta.

...I question how people could come to the conclusion that this is meta. Okay, so, we have a RP'd telescope. Remind me how using something IC to gain IC information is meta.

The fact is that many people create lore simply to give their character an unfair advantage even when it does not fit Asulon's time period. As a scientific advance it isn't a big deal, but as military technology it would be. (yes, I know LOTC does not follow earth's timing but you still shouldn't be creating something that is not medieval without good reasoning) Perhaps as a compromise the device could not b used in the sunlight because of problems with the glass? Just an idea.

... Someone explain to me how there will be ANY metagaming from this. It's a fricking telescope, that will be either on a tower of a mountain, pointing at the sky.

Also, IT'S IC! That's not metagaming, when it's a IC advantage.

I seem to have missed that it would be of a large size. In that case I don't see a problem with that. Sorry about that, my reading comprehension...

I think it's a good idea. Not too much of a jump, in my opinion. You have my support, +1.

I wanted to write lore on the solar system of of Asulon. But I knew I had to write telescope lore first. First someone writes lightning evocation for me and now this. You guys are the best : )

I wanted to write lore on the solar system of of Asulon. But I knew I had to write telescope lore first. First someone writes lightning evocation for me and now this. You guys are the best : )

Glad I could help.

This is actually very interesting can make the game a bit academic in a way an add more logic to make discoveries. Well done your efforts will not be wasted +1

This is actually very interesting can make the game a bit academic in a way an add more logic to make discoveries. Well done your efforts will not be wasted +1

That's really my point. We have enough engineers, but back in the ancient/medieval times many people were interested in looking up.

The Story

Suddenly, idea struck Oelilag. He moved to the small chest that held his personal items, rummaging for a moment before he found the case that held the spare pair of glasses he owned. He hobbled back to the window, arranging the lenses so he had a 3-lense thick. He peered at the moon, and could make out the white surface, dotted with craters.

This is why I voted no, honestly, I wouldn't think he would all of the sudden jump up and exclaim "This makes perfect sense!" and go get his spare glasses. Besides, I plain and simple don't see the point of telescopes, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the inventor of actual telescopes take years working on it to get it to where it functioned correctly? So why would your character perfect it magically over such a short time....

This and the whole possibility of meta and the fact it doesn't seem to fit in with the times of the land....

This is why I voted no, honestly, I wouldn't think he would all of the sudden jump up and exclaim "This makes perfect sense!" and go get his spare glasses. Besides, I plain and simple don't see the point of telescopes, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the inventor of actual telescopes take years working on it to get it to where it functioned correctly? So why would your character perfect it magically over such a short time....

This and the whole possibility of meta and the fact it doesn't seem to fit in with the times of the land....

Oelilag is a scientist. Every night, he gazed at the stars. He had a lens that amplified his sight. Any edumicated man, like himself, would soon realize that maybe if you add more then 1 lens VOILA! BIGGER AMPLICATION! He just needed that little jump of old age forgetfulness, to get a kick in the arse and put 2 and 2 together.

Do you think I should add a bit more about Oelilag's life?

Oelilag is a scientist. Every night, he gazed at the stars. He had a lens that amplified his sight. Any edumicated man, like himself, would soon realize that maybe if you add more then 1 lens VOILA! BIGGER AMPLICATION! He just needed that little jump of old age forgetfulness, to get a kick in the arse and put 2 and 2 together.

Do you think I should add a bit more about Oelilag's life?

I always thought that telescopes reflect by having the lens' at an angle, therefore how would he have learned this if he looked at it through his glasses which would be....straight instead of at angles?

*its been 5 years since I was in the young astronaut club, give me a break if I'm wrong*