[✓] Potion Of Strength And Stoneskin Change Proposal

Supremacy

From the other thread I have learnt that combining all potions together is a task which will be pointlessly difficult if I wish to make everyone happy. Thus potions shall be done in groups or dealt with individually. Today we begin with this lore suggestion:

Potion of Strength:

A potion of strength is another common brew that Alchemy is often best known for, as these potions can turn a weak man, such as a farming peasant, into a strong one, such as a plate-wearing and sword-wielding knight. Although increasing the intensity of one’s muscles through this draught can often be a painful and bitter process, as well as a temporary one, I have seen that it can often turn the tide in a battle when one decided to imbibe this power in a bottle. Unlike the Potion of Mending, this potion is not recommended for external use and I have had cases in which one thought it was an interesting idea to attempt this. The fool who performed this broke out in hives for a week, a fitting punishment for someone who fails to follow an Alchemist’s orders concerning his potions. These potions generally last between one and two hours. 

Just like all potions in alchemy this potion works upon the basis of equivalent exchange. In order to gain additional strength in the present a user of this potion must call upon his muscles to do more than they should normally be capable of. It is therefore that the use of a potion of strength wears down muscles and after even one use the user can be left fatigued for an elven day or more.

Potion of Stone-Skin:

A wholly bitter concoction that tends to swell the tongue and burn the throat due to its awful taste, it is in fact one of the most useful potions that an alchemy has at their disposal. These potions, as the name suggest, causes one skin to become has hard as the stone itself as one takes on the aspect of the element of Earth. It allows one’s entire body to become a stalwart shield, and can be quite the effect tool if one has a resistance to the pain it brings. It is a sad truth that even though this potion can makes one’s very flesh fend off blades, it is a wholly strange and painful experience to drink one of these earthy cocktails. Do be warned, that once it wears off nausea and vomiting may occur and this is especially important, for it will only last up to ten minutes to avoid any permanent damage to the body from the hardening of the skin. This potion comes in only one flavor, and cannot be made in a minor, lesser or greater fashion for the quality of its ingredients must be the finest or else the skin will not harden, and the imbiber’s stomach will feel as though it was just filled with the foulest of dwarven ale. 

However, this is not the only effect of the stone skin potion. Stone skin potions also turn the users blood and internal organs to stone and therefore pose the risk of the user outright dieing from consuming this potion. There is a 35% chance that any individual who consumes such a potion shall receive such a large amount of internal trauma that consuming the potion will lead to their rapid deterioration and death after consumption. Even those who do not die can be left crippled for life if they consume too many potions in a short amount of time. This of course is an adequate trade off to some as to be able to block all manner of objects is a powerful ability.

(/Roll 100, if the number is 25 or less the potion kills the user after consumption).

A final note to those who wish to use this potion is that the skin of those who drink it does not become as tough as stone. Unfortunately arrows, swords and spears, although they may not slash or pierce as they normally will still will chip off parts of one's body. A sword striking one's hand may cause the whole hand to fall off! Once the potion wears off, this can have grim consequences once the bleeding starts.

These are brilliant... especially the stone-skin idea, with the rolling.

Note to self: Stone-skin is like excessive alcoholism. 

I like the changes with the Strength potion. But I still think the stoneskin potion's changes are way too much. I don't see why they need to be changed anyway...

EDIT: Stoneskin potions don't actually turn you to stone anyway... They make your skin as hard as stone. Besides, I think (Even know it doesn't seem to be up there) Even though it'll stop you from being stabbed, the pain of it still happens... Unless I'm very confused...

It has been proposed because players have been using stoneskin potions to become indestructible IC.

Take it on a player by player basis, not these large, sweeping brushstrokes. And details! Why the sudden change stoneskin? What's the RP reason?

As I said on the other topic, "Chance of death" will only make the potion unused. Why not expand on the disadvantage in another direction?

If the potion simply slowed all movements (To the extent of, say, half the speed of a fully-armored man), it would get rid of the "Free invincibility" users simply because, nine out of ten times, the enemy would simply be able to wait for the effects to wear off.

I think it works, why should alchemy be any different from magic?

Mages work months to attain their goals while folks just drink a potion and get some instant 'reward' from it. If you're willing to alter your body in such ways, there should be risks involved.

It's sensible in RP. That reluctance some folks are feeling now could transfer to their character. That reluctance to attain the pros because of the cons.

You guys remember those pharmacy commercials with all the side effects? Well these are the side effects to a potion. In exchange for being essentially invincible, you have a chance of getting killed from its effects as well.

This is what people call balance. I find it to be perfectly fair.

As Rel said, chance of death ruins RP. It's just no fun. Plus I really think you're overreacting to all this. Sure there are some instances where stoneskin could be powergamed, but so could a neat little thing called, oh I don't know... Arcane Shielding? Still, this seems to be how you're thinking right now.
vmv8VsS.png
Oh,it's also so nice to see that you took my bone breaking into account on the strength potion.

Now now, I think the stone skin lore is fine. After all, "Dyeing" isn't as bad as it sounds.

Should it turn me purple or blue?

As Rel said, chance of death ruins RP. It's just no fun. Plus I really think you're overreacting to all this. Sure there are some instances where stoneskin could be powergamed, but so could a neat little thing called, oh I don't know... Arcane Shielding? Still, this seems to be how you're thinking right now.

vmv8VsS.png

Oh,it's also so nice to see that you took my bone breaking into account on the strength potion.

Arcane Shielding requires lots of training, it's not as easy as *gets potion, drinks, is invulnerable to all attacks.* Infact, Arcane Shielding only shields certain areas of the body.

That is actually a fair point. Not even arcane shielding makes one as immune as stone skin does right now, and arcane sheilding both fatigues the user and takes months to learn.

And yet it can be powergamed just as much. Anything can be. Considering that people are walking tanks in just iron armor, stoneskin seems light, no? Only lasting 10 minutes and quite a bit of fatigue and sickness afterwards seems like a fair tradeoff.

The issue with this being it can be equipped in thirty seconds and seemingly protects every angle of attack, unlike armor which has faults and takes a long time to equip. Furthermore iron armor requires a MC item to roleplay which is rather expensive to acquire whereas stoneskin can be simply made IC.