Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

Waleh - Health

Waler - To heal

Fah - Death

Faher - To die

Bilok'fah - To kill

Aetah - Age (In elven years)

Aetah'onn - Birthday

Munih - Wall

Munih'onn - Tower

Arx - Fortress

Fih - Area, Empire

Ciwih - City, State

Ciwih'onn - Citizen

Scenax - Council

Custoih - Warden

Hastax - Lance, spear

Turrih - Archer (when on a wall)

Turr - Arrow

Equitax - Cavalry, a group of horses

Anim - Soul, wind

A citadel would be Fortress-in-City But I don't know how to do that with correct grammar, so there I'll need your help for.

Not yet. I recognised this a while ago but never amended it.

Can someone please tell if the words I suggested are good?!

I'll get back to you on Monday. I know some of the words do already exist in the sense that they can be made from connecting words. I'll be returning to Ancient Elven early next week, so hopefully we'll have some pretty sweet additions to the dictionary coming real soon.

Ok, :D

As promised, bringing you some new words. Aurea, any that you suggested that are not on the list is because these words would not have existed at the time of the language. A number of these words are also not new.

Health - hiylu

to heal - waleh

not living - taynane

death - yallirane

to die - yallrane

to destroy/kill - bilokane

Age - aetah

Birthday - aetah'onn

Wall - mahnih

Fortress - mahnihan

Tower - siimah

Region - fin

City - cihi

citizen - cihionn

Village - linan

Citadel - cihi'leh'mahnihan

Council (circle of leaders) for region - finir'heial

Council for City - cihir'heial

spear - ihnsil (ihn- is similar to "on a stick")

arrow - berronn

strength - ceru

cow - vilut

sheep - turr

pig - beloun

horse - faesu

Circle - heial

Wind - iheiuh

Families in early Malinor were very integrated within the community of elves. All elves were considered brothers or sisters as they were all sons and daughters of Malin.

Sister - liyur

Brother - ciyut

Mother - haelun

Father - maln

Daughter - liyuronn

Son - ciyutonn

Upon further investigation I've found that the word for 'mir' has been mispronounced. I will be making the adjustments to reintroduce 'miar' as lava.

Excellent work, Elindor! Your contributions will be much appreciated, as always. However, it seems we still disagree on the word krah for death, procured from Aerin Lissar who suggests the duality of elven concepts. I would insist that 'not living' may not be considered equivalent to 'death'. Two words for opposing concept are scattered all through the language. Day and Night, Hard and Soft.

Furthermore, I must argue that the -ir suffix is meant for persons, and that anything containing 'yallir' would bring to mind 'one who is death', perhaps a departed or a ghost. One who is not death, well, what is that but another mortal?

((Have you noticed how verbs seem to lend themselves for the -ir suffix much better than nouns? It's like you said. I move that we try to make as much verb seed words as possible.))

Hey I did some work too!

Hey I did some work too!

((This is more than correct. I do feel like you deserve a spot on the 'elven language' team for your continued help. It'll mean you can help brainstorm and develop the language. I just need to know you understand how the current grammar and combination rules of the language work, so that you won't add stuff that we feel breaks the consistency of the tongue.

Let me know if you're interested))

I would love to help, but I won't post anything, I'll send suggestions to you and Elindor. And I'll read the grammar again.

Alrighty then, you can go with the duality of concepts and add in 'death'. I was thinking that the elves would not have faced death very much and would have had little use for a word.

yallir is already in the dictionary for 'life' - to be living. Perhaps its another mispronunciation that's slipped its way through.

Busy times, the main post needs still be updated and I swear I'm working on it. See revisions, including the official rule on infinitives/'concept words', soon enough.

Ok, so I was going to read this thread until I realized that it was an entire textbook on elvish so instead I'll just ask. How do you say "Teacher" or "Master"?

EDIT: This is great and when I actually have the time I'll try to learn it. Great job on this!