Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

After a long time without definitive clarification I can finally present to you: Ancient Elven Numbers!

1 oem

2 niut

3 hael

4 vailu

5 kulin

6 banih

7 laier

8 esun

9 moiel

10 telu

100 matelu [ma-(mar-) a preffix for 'very']

1000 marmatelu

Much like the grammatical structure, numbers are structured similarly to japanese for double digits and beyond (i.e three-onehundred-five-ten-four). ' is used to link a number with its value for 10, 100 and 1000.

So 14 (fourteen) is moiel vailu [10.4]

54 (fifty four) is kulin'telu vailu [5.10.4]

354 (three hundred fifty four) is hael'matelu kulin'telu vailu [3.100.5.10.4]

((You deserve major props for all of your contributions so far. I, however, deserve a stern talking to for failing to update the OP appropriately.

It's coming.))

((Well at least this will be easier to learn than Irish. *Start staring at OP for hours trying to make a sentence*

EDIT: What's an affix? Is it like suffixes or prefixes? Is it both?))

((It's either.

A suffix is an affix, but not every affix is a suffix))

Wow, been awhile since I visited this thread....

Nice work guys!

I am confused about the Elven year. Are we going to elect a new high prince at the end of this Elven year?

Ultimately, such a decision is for the elven council and them alone. If they intent to follow through with their documented customs, we are left to conclude they will.

Just add these 2 words, then I'm happy:

-Brisingr : Fire

-Adurna : Water

I can promise I will look out for possible words that carry a meaning similar to this, but I can hardly guarantee it will be those exact words.

((There's consistency to consider, after all)).

((Yes, elven words may soon be split up in multiple catagories after all. I can begin to see the point of better organization))

((I prefer the idea of 'dwarven sleeping cycle' to 'general sleeping cycle', because the latter has an aftertaste of OOCness. Dwarves, however, would have a sleeping cycle very out of sync with the sun's orbit, considering they spend most of their time underground and away from the sun)).

Bravo

As Sporadic said, not sure if these will be in line with the flow of the language. The big issue is with multiple consonants (however you spell that). It is uncommon to have two in a row without a vowel, so three would be unheard of. Also I don't beleive that BR is a sound in elvish.

And regards to the election Ebs, I PMed Native about this before writing here and on the wiki, so there is suppossed to be elections by the council every calendar year. My assumption is that Native has been re-elected for a number of terms prior to 1300 (start date of server) which is why he's been the High Prince so long.

as you ripped these directly from the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini,not only do i not want to use them,we CANT use them. that would be plagerism.

i hope you guys make lots of progress while im away,i really enjoyed studying this with you all,ill be sure to get right back on the ball as soon as i can. :)

EDIT: more info on that here!

as you ripped these directly from the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini,not only do i not want to use them,we CANT use them. that would be plagerism.

i hope you guys make lots of progress while im away,i really enjoyed studying this with you all,ill be sure to get right back on the ball as soon as i can. :)

EDIT: more info on that here!

Ahh..... Those words sound so awsome..... :|

Major update inbound!

('availer' is now Elvish. It's how I entertain myself.)

November 5: Quick Changelog:

• Added various words
  • Added simple nouns to indicate past and future. These will be replacements for past and future tenses.
  • Also added a 'CURIOUS WORDS' section for the most intricate elvish words to help readers understanding them. Contains the words 'ito' and 'tali' for now.
  • Completed the inflection of verbs. Now has 6 inflections for the regular mood and a singular and plural optative mood.
  • Added a way to use the words 'to be' and 'to have' in elvish. Warning: this is very different from normal verbs.

((Question at hand: Who thinks we should make elvish even more needlessly difficult by making their counting system go from 0-8 rather than using the decimal system (0-9)?))

((Another edit, to illustrate how annoying it is to form elvish sentences and how long words end up getting, this took me fifteen minutes:

Valah'leyu, lirr ito mae'leh. Maker'acael'ito narna'yem. Velulaei hae'leh'ehya ahern nae'leh evareh tenna karinah

Its translation is left as an excercise to the reader.))

Translation:

"Graceful human, Friend in deep in my soul. An horrible night is here again. Let the moon with her spirit and blessing protect your spirit until sunrise.

I did my best. tell me if I made mistakes!

New words:

Waléaf: fire

Igneaè: water

Translation:

"Graceful human, Friend in deep in my soul. An horrible night is here again. Let the moon with her spirit and blessing protect your spirit until sunrise.

I did my best. tell me if I made mistakes!

New words:

Waléaf: fire

Igneaè: water

Hmm, that's actually a pretty good approximate. Further than I'd expect people getting. Keep going; you'll get there!

November 7 Update:

• Added various misc. words, most of them translations for the Druid aspects currently being used by higher-ranked druids
  • Added words for Fire and Water (sorry if they're not how you wanted them, Aurea)
  • Stressed the elven need for recombination of words, modifiers and affixes.

Goal is to just keep updating until people can speak Elvish in Minecon. Not that they would, but it's a good goal.

Tip is to not translate these words too literally. It may seem secure, but it makes the translation sound like those bot translators (which always get laughed at :(). People always get a bit of freedom when overcoming a language barrier.

After all your updates I feel the wiki page is being left behind. Not sure if the wiki should be as comprehensive as people might like it to be, but it should definately be there. Sporadic, have a look at it some time, best way to get there is going ELVES and clicking on the ANCIENT ELVEN link under Language.

After all your updates I feel the wiki page is being left behind. Not sure if the wiki should be as comprehensive as people might like it to be, but it should definately be there. Sporadic, have a look at it some time, best way to get there is going ELVES and clicking on the ANCIENT ELVEN link under Language.

I did see the page. I'll try to update it soon.

Hmm, that's actually a pretty good approximate. Further than I'd expect people getting. Keep going; you'll get there!

What was the right translation then?

*Torak walks over to the board. He sees a huge pile of notes, containing strange words. He then realizes that this is some sort of language! He grows a smile, starting to learn this new language.*

I've updated the wiki page with all the words. Haven't added any of the new sections though, perhaps you should look at it Sporadic as I'm sure you understand the grammar stuff better than I do.