[Idea] A Name For The World?

Gwonam_Blaze

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we need or should have a name for the Lord of the Craft world/universe?

• Sure! I think it'd make things much simpler and more interesting!
    • Nah; I like the idea of having multiple realms without a collective name.
    • I really couldn't care less.
  2. 2. What sort of name would you give the world/universe of Lord of the Craft?

• A simple name, like the ones we give to the realms, like 'Aegis'.
    • A mysterious, philosophical name, like we call 'The Void'.
    • A totally ridiculous, weird name like you get in fantasy books, like 'Middle Earth'.
    • I said I don't want a name, damnit!
    • No, really; I couldn't care less.

It recently came to my attention that we don't really have a 'name' for the world of Lord of the Craft. It's okay saying 'We live in Aegis' or 'Anthos' or whatever new realm we happen to live in, but what happens when someone wants to talk about 'all' of those realms, like they're all part of one larger world or existence (probably someone like an astronomer or philosopher)?

Think of it like continents on Earth; They're all far away from one another, practically all new worlds in comparison, and while you can say you come from one and people will be sure enough to know what you're talking about most of the time, what happens when we want to talk about the entirety of the world? For instance, say someone were discussing the creation of the world (let's not make this in to a religious debate, it's just an example). They wouldn't say: "I believe <God of religion> made Africa, North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and Antarctica", would they?  They'd probably say "I believe <God of religion> made Earth, (or maybe 'The World', in this particular instance).

Basically, all I'm wondering is what people would think of a single, collective name for the entire world or universe Lord of the Craft is set in to make life a little easier for those who wish to write literature on it or talk about it, whether that be in-game or not. It doesn't really have to be a specific name, like one we give to the realms; It really could be as simple as 'The World' or 'The Canvas'; Just an official, recognised name (In and out of game) that lets us know when someone's talking about all of the realms and Lord of the Craft in general. Go ahead and pitch your thoughts on this idea.

A multiverse or something of collective worlds is good. For many reasons actually. 

1. People are fickle and get tired of things easily. The ability to keep moving so no one gets disinterested is a good thing.

2. If people don't like a name, they have hope for a better one the next time around.

3. I normally have BS reasons so here's one for you. (Though those other two might be as well, who knows.)

I'm personally just happy with new and fresh names.

A multiverse or something of collective worlds is good. For many reasons actually. 

1. People are fickle and get tired of things easily. The ability to keep moving so no one gets disinterested is a good thing.

2. If people don't like a name, they have hope for a better one the next time around.

3. I normally have BS reasons so here's one for you. (Though those other two might be as well, who knows.)

This would not mean abandoning coming up with new names, it's just coming up with a name for our multiverse/worlds as a whole. It's sort of like naming a nation. Great, your nation has a name. Do we not name the cities, towns, and villages simply because the nation has a name? No, that's stupid.

Well of course, we'll still have Aegis and Asulon and Anthos; Those are all different realms, almost like different continents. The idea of giving the entire world a name is so people can discuss the entire world rather than having to talk about just one or having to make up a weird name if they're intending to talk about all of existence in the known world of LotC.

Minecraftia.

genius!

but on a more serious note, I think 'The Canvas' actually sounds pretty bada$$! I like that one :3

I'd prefer to keep it nameless and mysterious myself, nothing set in stone. I like people making up ideas in RP though!

My suggestive names are,  Aktor,  Me' Zaan,  Miorin,  Fortunin,  Aegisun,  Gorianus.  Absolutely random names I just came up with, except for Aegisun, which is obvious where it came from, Aegis.

me and some others have been calling it earth since asulon

me and some others have been calling it earth since asulon

Earth seems to simply mean 'This World' in RP.

Honestly, in keeping with the tradition that LotC set themselves up to, call it Antipater. Bonus points to those who can explain why.