[Magic] Incantation

Elindor

Should We Do It?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Incantations in LotC?

• Yay
    • Nay

UPDATING: Seen as Lore is open to the people, I too will open it to the people. If players are keen we will make this a theeng. Just going for "do you want it" firstly, then we'll sort out a list of incantations over time.

I already entered this once but the captcha redirect page screwed up the post and now we're back to me writing it all out again. This time it will probably be more rushed and less caring

In every language there are certain words that bear aural perfection that, when spoken in a sequence with other select words, seems to sing out into the universe as though the Creator himself were the minstrel.

Incantations are a magic that are not Void based nor is a deity responsible. They are phrases that illicit a magical response. HOWEVER! these phrases are almost always impossible to just 'happen upon'. For example what reason would someone ever have to exclaim "luminous ambiguous calamity jest" and thus protect all the soil within earshot from the touch of wrought tools? Because the meaning of the word has no purpose and it is merely the sounds of the words that holds purpose to the Incantation, no one besides the clinically insane would stumble upon such gibberish in any language.

What this means is that there are a list of predestined groupings of words (differing depending on the language) that have power to do any number things. Incantations would require approval before coming into existence, therefore the level of control is completely within the Lore Master's discretion. Perhaps they are so powerful, influential and secreted that they are reserved for the staff and event teams. Or maybe small alterations could become so commonplace across Anthos that every second hobbit has a regenerating birthday cake.

So what I'm looking for is some approval that such things can exist, and then players can propose what incantations might exist, what words they would have, and some details about where this may have been discovered (i.e ancient tomes). All within the desired level of control of the Lore Masters.

Good Day

Wingaurdium leviosa or however it's spelled.

If you don't skahing know what that means you don't deserve that hat.

I like the idea, but I am not in favour of it. We have a unique enough magic system in place already, and bringing in a different magic system that is really overused in many books is just going to destroy the uniqueness of magic on this server. So, although I have liked books with this magic idea and your own magic idea, I am going to have to -1 this due to it being too overused and not as unique as our server deserves. Please don't take it badly, I really do like the idea!

Basically, actual spells rather than schools.

While I can't see this happening as a new source of magic, I could definitely see this integrated into the existing arcane magic lore. It would also be far more compatible with the magic plugin.

PM Kalenz, this sounds like something he worked on once.