[W.i.p] Boon Of Tesion: The Destroyer Of Ghosts And The Prayer Answered.

excited

I only say such as you were once removed from the order for worshiping the Kha deity and imagined he fact you've recently been flicking through a few aenguls to receive magic like clerics.. It links up quite nicely.

I quite honestly just saw this magic to be something as a swift way to get about not having to go through our own trials to get said magic. Honestly you don't even need holy magic to take an offensive towards spirits and ghosts when it comes to it, it would be quite easy to simply make a guild of spirit hunters or combine efforts with the clerics rather then making a rival patron against Tahariae giving it blue energy instead of light and then saying 'we're not like clerics'. From simply what I've gathered in this entire post it was just a way to get around the system and introduce a new way to get cleric like magic. Apologies. I just didn't at first see the point of creating an jealous aengul who would attempt to steal Tahariaes evil spirit hunting business is all, as if the aenguls are lacking in things to be focusing on.

My first question it, what is Tension the patron of exactly? Prayer it seems? Once I confirm this I'll be able to provide some constructing criticism.

I only say such as you were once removed from the order for worshiping the Kha deity and imagined he fact you've recently been flicking through a few aenguls to receive magic like clerics.. It links up quite nicely.

I quite honestly just saw this magic to be something as a swift way to get about not having to go through our own trials to get said magic. Honestly you don't even need holy magic to take an offensive towards spirits and ghosts when it comes to it, it would be quite easy to simply make a guild of spirit hunters or combine efforts with the clerics rather then making a rival patron against Tahariae giving it blue energy instead of light and then saying 'we're not like clerics'. From simply what I've gathered in this entire post it was just a way to get around the system and introduce a new way to get cleric like magic. Apologies. I just didn't at first see the point of creating an jealous aengul who would attempt to steal Tahariaes evil spirit hunting business is all, as if the aenguls are lacking in things to be focusing on.

My first question it, what is Tension the patron of exactly? Prayer it seems? Once I confirm this I'll be able to provide some constructing criticism.

Tesion indeed because of prayer. It's a rival patron in the way where they want to try and do as good as they can and attempt to do better then the main sect, Tahariae's. Whoops, one sec, as for my own clerical issues, I hope to realize at that time six months ago I was a T-1 fire-evo who had no idea wtf he was doing because the old system was quite complex and hard to learn as a self-taught and teacher.

Tesion's the patron of prayer, as people continued to die from Setherien they realized it might be the time for themselves to appear as well, and sharing a somewhat conflict with the way Tahariae was doing it. Prefering to have their own followers in the Clerical Order as well.

If we're going to bring up past mistakes, do it all you want, but it won't hurt my lore, the lore I've been thinking of and such for a few months now. We're not some wannabes. Also, did it occur that perhaps the clerical order needs some spicing up? More patrons can provide that, the same thing over and over is boring, change is essential. 

@Lago, that's part of the reason I tried to start brainstorming, I personally think I'd want to open a clerical sect like this in 4.0, though it's more about hunting down evil spirits, we're not focused on cultists, but spirits, and ghosts. If we see other things which are soul-bound and not corporeal, we go to destroy it. Lore wise I mean.

I know it sounds silly, but I just want to make something unique, but nowadays when people have the courage to put something they wrote onto a lore forum on the internet so they can have some fun in-game, it will get shot down, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not. If more knowledge is needed on the aengul Tesion I'd be fine to start writing some up since there's little on the wiki an Ptah told me that he's not really persay a lore-involved real aengudaemon. (on this lore I mean, if it's accepted then perhaps Tesion can be a new patron?)

There isn't a lore-approval system any more. The reason RP ideas isn't regularly processed is because it isn't meant to be, like the Tech Ideas and General Ideas it's there for players to leave suggestions for the broader server. It's not the Lore Forum of old.

Back when we had Emote default, whatever you emoted happened. If anyone just came up with something fun someone else would call powergaming and demand approved lore. You couldn't just be creative, you had to have your idea hammered out to the last detail and then signed off for balance, lack of contradiction with other things and non-abusability by the LMs.

Previously, the LMs had been a writer team. They occasionally helped rittsy (who's been in charge of server lore since forever) pick out nice things from the Lore forum to make official like lore for soulstones, tidied the lore up where it had gotten knotty and most importantly wrote stuff for events and map transitions. They were a small, innocent staff team that only did good things that nobody on the server objected to.

With the playerbase demanding lore for anything that was being used against them (and sometimes even things which weren't), the Lore Team's role changed. It became their job to process the Lore Forum, to determine what was fine and what was too powerful, too powergamed or, straying into more dangerous territory, "didn't fit the server". Creative new things had to go through them first, if they didn't, other players would complain about not having lore, and there were LMs who were also GMs that would enforce the removal of lorebreaking things. Naturally, players resented having even their very RP reduced to yet another effective app, and the Lore Masters became the bad guys. This is the time where "Make Fun Not Lore" comes from.

When PvP default hit, I created the rules for the Mechanical Standard. This was designed to eliminate the widely resented Lore Approval system in the same way Ski and Cruz's MA removal was meant to do the same for magic. The idea was that the game mechanics would form the baseline for what you can do, like on the Aegis map where their wasn't an official Lore Team (everyone who did lore and story work was also a GM then). With a few clearly specified exceptions if what you did followed the mechanics of the game and wouldn't otherwise be powergaming, you could just go ahead and do it. You were free to be creative then and there. The Lore Team then would go back to its original role of making LotC a more colourful place, in addition to answering player questions and helping players fit things into the mech rules.

Of course, this message, despite being publically posted, hasn't quite got around to this day. People still see the Lore Team as either the Fun Police going around lorehammering people's RP (they don't even have the power to do that) or the Lore App Team, hence player indignation at the standstill of the Roleplay Ideas forum the Lore Team isn't actually meant to review.

There's also a hefty spanner in Mechanical Standard's works: magic.

When Ski_king and Cruz removed the MA, their intention was (correct me if I'm wrong here ski)  to do the same thing to magic that mech did to lore, as long as you weren't powergaming, you could do what you liked with magic. No subtypes, cast whatever you want and explain it however you like. This didn't quite happen in practice. People who had fought their way to the top of the MA weren't at all happy at everyone else getting what they got for free and thus fought to maintain the MA structure as much as they could. That, and the problem with doing this with magic is that magic doesn't have a mechanical standard. The baseline then became the existing magic lore and the magic guides. As these were organised into subtypes, so magic stayed subtyped and has to this day.

The solution to this is Telanir's magic plugin. When this is completed and put onto the server (I believe the intention is to install it in 4.0 but if it's nearing completion I think it should be released sooner) it'll finally become possible to remove the magic system as the ex-MAT intended, and I greatly hope that's what's going to happen. If you've got that spell, explain it however you want to, it's balanced by the mechanics of the magic plugin.

But for the meantime, I'm not entirely sure what to do with magic posts. I can go through this the way I'd have gone through a lore post of old and suggest fixes for every problem I can find, or I can help find an alternative that makes approval unnecessary. Up to you.

There isn't a lore-approval system any more. The reason RP ideas isn't regularly processed is because it isn't meant to be, like the Tech Ideas and General Ideas it's there for players to leave suggestions for the broader server. It's not the Lore Forum of old.

Back when we had Emote default, whatever you emoted happened. If anyone just came up with something fun someone else would call powergaming and demand approved lore. You couldn't just be creative, you had to have your idea hammered out to the last detail and then signed off for balance, lack of contradiction with other things and non-abusability by the LMs.

Previously, the LMs had been a writer team. They occasionally helped rittsy (who's been in charge of server lore since forever) pick out nice things from the Lore forum to make official like lore for soulstones, tidied the lore up where it had gotten knotty and most importantly wrote stuff for events and map transitions. They were a small, innocent staff team that only did good things that nobody on the server objected to.

With the playerbase demanding lore for anything that was being used against them (and sometimes even things which weren't), the Lore Team's role changed. It became their job to process the Lore Forum, to determine what was fine and what was too powerful, too powergamed or, straying into more dangerous territory, "didn't fit the server". Creative new things had to go through them first, if they didn't, other players would complain about not having lore, and there were LMs who were also GMs that would enforce the removal of lorebreaking things. Naturally, players resented having even their very RP reduced to yet another effective app, and the Lore Masters became the bad guys. This is the time where "Make Fun Not Lore" comes from.

When PvP default hit, I created the rules for the Mechanical Standard. This was designed to eliminate the widely resented Lore Approval system in the same way Ski and Cruz's MA removal was meant to do the same for magic. The idea was that the game mechanics would form the baseline for what you can do, like on the Aegis map where their wasn't an official Lore Team (everyone who did lore and story work was also a GM then). With a few clearly specified exceptions if what you did followed the mechanics of the game and wouldn't otherwise be powergaming, you could just go ahead and do it. You were free to be creative then and there. The Lore Team then would go back to its original role of making LotC a more colourful place, in addition to answering player questions and helping players fit things into the mech rules.

Of course, this message, despite being publically posted, hasn't quite got around to this day. People still see the Lore Team as either the Fun Police going around lorehammering people's RP (they don't even have the power to do that) or the Lore App Team, hence player indignation at the standstill of the Roleplay Ideas forum the Lore Team isn't actually meant to review.

There's also a hefty spanner in Mechanical Standard's works: magic.

When Ski_king and Cruz removed the MA, their intention was (correct me if I'm wrong here ski)  to do the same thing to magic that mech did to lore, as long as you weren't powergaming, you could do what you liked with magic. No subtypes, cast whatever you want and explain it however you like. This didn't quite happen in practice. People who had fought their way to the top of the MA weren't at all happy at everyone else getting what they got for free and thus fought to maintain the MA structure as much as they could. That, and the problem with doing this with magic is that magic doesn't have a mechanical standard. The baseline then became the existing magic lore and the magic guides. As these were organised into subtypes, so magic stayed subtyped and has to this day.

The solution to this is Telanir's magic plugin. When this is completed and put onto the server (I believe the intention is to install it in 4.0 but if it's nearing completion I think it should be released sooner) it'll finally become possible to remove the magic system as the ex-MAT intended, and I greatly hope that's what's going to happen. If you've got that spell, explain it however you want to, it's balanced by the mechanics of the magic plugin.

But for the meantime, I'm not entirely sure what to do with magic posts. I can go through this the way I'd have gone through a lore post of old and suggest fixes for every problem I can find, or I can help find an alternative that makes approval unnecessary. Up to you.

I see...  thanks, I've been confused for awhile. Thanks for the explanation, I feel more at ease now that I've read this. Thanks again Lago, I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me! :)

PS: can you tell me a nice alternative? 

Firstly, where does War Cleric fall short of your needs?

1. It's not cool, it's not unique, it's also guild locked.

2. I tried to make this more leaning towards a ghost-hunting magic, it can't hurt corporeal things.

3. I'm a Tahariae cleric at the moment IC, but the order's never on, so I wanted to make a section of the order myself leaning towards the hunting of ghosts and other ethereal creatures. 

I'm not going to argue anymore, I'll keep writing up the lore and attempt to make it so that it doesn't even suggest war-cleric, but what I made this magic for in the first place was the re-assembling of items through philotic twines. 

I quite like the idea. Of an lotc ghost busters :P I personally feel there should be another holy type of magic on the server. The statement of "It is just War cleric magic reskinned" isn't quite true considering they are different and you can't really have much of a difference in holy magic. Considering it basically all does the same thing... But I do think there should be another magic for it. I like the idea so I will give a +1.. Though perhaps making the aura/energy a darker color? Would be interesting to see a holy magic with a darker shaded color, it would break the stereotype of Dark=Evil which isn't quite true. Though regardless that is simply an idea. Keep up the good work Piercing.