Golden Apples

Jistuma

OOC:

This lore would, if accepted, be a small update to the already implemented lore on golden apples: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/98439-alchemical-arcarum-apples/

Most of the lore will be a copy of it, just with a mild change on how to create them, as Supremacy's lore doesn't talk much about it, just almost states random ingredients to make it. I built this around difficulty to make it, nexus plugin recipes, and alchemy lore.

Effects:

(written by Supremacy)

golden_apple_of_discord_test_by_danidras

(Diandrastic)

The golden apple has long been fabled to have a curious effect on elves. However, those who say this would be wrong for a variety of reasons. Firstly, the golden apples which do such are not coated in gold, they are coated in Arcarum, better known as mage gold. In addition, these apples do not effect all elves. Very few elves at all are susceptible to the effects of the Arcarum-Apple but those who seemingly are predisposed to its effects will experience such effects in full force.

When consumed one of two things will occur. The first being that the elf will lose part, all or a tiny fraction of their memories. The second being it will have no effect. Should it have no effect nothing shall occur. When one says "memories are lost" however, one does not truly mean memories are lost.

Rather, they are simply masked over. Impossible to access by the conscious individual who consumes the apple but still visible to those who might view the mind from outside— Such as a mind mage. Memories can also be slowly restored over time by reminding or re-simulating events which happened to them.

Recipe and Creation:

A golden apple isn't really a potion, so it's recipe is to be considered a bit differently. While normally the base of a potion is a water symbol, mainly water, Aqua Vitae or Lard, the base for the golden apple is instead Magegold, an earth symbol. This makes the creation of the golden apple, or aucarum apple, a process that goes beyond basic potion brewing, being considered advanced alchemy. Some alchemists, for easier creation, seperate the recipe in two parts, where they instead of mixing the ingredients together with the magegold directly, something far more dangerous and hard to do, decide to create a potion and then mix it with the gold in the apple. It's a far easier process, but the effects are a bit weaker.

For the recipe itself, one must follow the representation of what is meant to happen. Basicly a "Quick and fluid destruction of memories." A combination of all four symbols, most most be strong or powerful symbols, perhaps the ones to mix them all together able to be moderate ones.

Recipe:

Base: Magegold

1 Air Symbol (Quickness)

1 Earth Symbol (Memory)

2 Fire Symbol (Destruction and Power)

2 Water Symbols (Fluity and Calmness)

While the recipe does look rather simple, the chosing of the ingredients is not. The Earth symbol representing memory is extremelly rare and hard to come by, and it takes a while to figure out one that would work. The fire symbols on the other hand, are extremelly hard to mix, and even the most apropriate ones may result in a small explosion as soon as the apple touches the mix. It doesn't help that one of the most normal used fire symbols to represent Destruction used in golden apples is gunpowder, or blackpowder, meaning the hand of the alchemist might not be there at the end of a failed try.

After the magegold mix is complete, one just dips the apple very fast, and then let the excess drip off. Fails about 1 in 5 tries, being mostly due to things that the alchemist can not control. Dust in the air, too much or little humidity, impurities in the magegold, ash or smoke from the fires mixing in. Apprentice alchemists trying to create such a good would find themselves getting severely hurt, expecially since they tend to get hurt with easy potions as well.

Stuff in MC:

I made this in consideration with the (current) Nexus crafting and profession system. Firstly, the MC item is, of course, a golden apple. This means it requires a master chef to be created. Gunpowder is something that takes a while to create, even if it's not that hard to get. From here on, it would have to be done in RP, unless the golden apple is added to the alchemy profession (which I don't think it should, it's not a potion.) The Earth symbol is the hardest ingredient to collect, being one to represent Memory, not many exist like that, normally special ones that someone must go on a trip to colect.

I've stated before that no apprentice alchemist would be able to create a golden apple, but that doesn't have much meaning, since who is or isn't an alchemist is not controlled, so instead, a roll 20 is needed, less than 5, and the potion blasts your hand when you place the apple in (this after all the other rolls one like to make in potions are passed. If no rolls were done before, a 15+ is needed for it to 'work.') You don't actually die, since I don't think dying while making a potion brings much rp to the maker, being strongly injured brings more (personal experience.)

If the apple works or not, is up to the player eating it of course. How much it works as well. It can work from a few IC hours, to the character's whole life. Memories can be restored, but they won't return immediatly, even with the help of monks or clerics. They would take time, and again, if the player does not want to get the memories back, not even the clerics or monks can force it. It works both ways.

Comments, concerns and the like are apreciated!

I don't see people actually rping failure through a roll any more than they do already. That seems like something players will decide for themselves no matter what.

A lot of people rp golden apples as being very potent, as well. While I can see the need for the lore keeping it weak for the sake of neutrality, I don't see that changing much either. Personally I've just always assumed the ammount if affects someone is genetic, since it's so wildly up to the player.

Though I suppose you want comments on the recipe. :P

If the actual lore says it's created through alchemy, then leaving it a cooking pot recipe is a little silly. I just imagine skilled alchemists tossing ingredients at a chef. How would a chef know what to do with them? It'd have to be a master chef, apparently, but even then If it's alchemy, it should, well, be alchemy. Just my two cents. ^^

I don't see people actually rping failure through a roll any more than they do already. That seems like something players will decide for themselves no matter what.

True, but it still makes people double think before randomly trying to get it out of thin air.

A lot of people rp golden apples as being very potent, as well. While I can see the need for the lore keeping it weak for the sake of neutrality, I don't see that changing much either. Personally I've just always assumed the ammount if affects someone is genetic, since it's so wildly up to the player.

Though I suppose you want comments on the recipe. :P

It's not weak in sake of neutrality, it's actually not weak, it might remove all of a person's memories. It just has to be accepted OOC'ly since it might ruin a character fully. What happens is between the one who ate the golden apple, and... whoever feed him the golden apple.

If the actual lore says it's created through alchemy, then leaving it a cooking pot recipe is a little silly. I just imagine skilled alchemists tossing ingredients at a chef. How would a chef know what to do with them? It'd have to be a master chef, apparently, but even then If it's alchemy, it should, well, be alchemy. Just my two cents. ^^

The cooking pot recipe wouldn't be for the alchemy golden apple. After getting that apple, and the gunpowder, you would still have to roleplay the creation of the alchemy golden apple. Sorry if I didn't specify that right =P

Why devalue the cook profession more and increase the value of the already fairly useful alchemy prof? 

Why devalue the cook profession more and increase the value of the already fairly useful alchemy prof?

What? I'm not devaluing anything, you still need a master chef to get a golden apple before you create the alchemic golden apple.

Also you said useful alchemy profession, which makes me think you might be joking... since it can't do a thing at the moment.

Because the golden apple has always been made with Alchemy? Since it was first made to when it got lore to when it's getting lore now? Lore > Tech team.

Because the golden apple has always been made with Alchemy? Since it was first made to when it got lore to when it's getting lore now? Lore > Tech team.

ET > All Teams

Also, so what? Cooks needs to have value.

So they should break lore to feel special?

Cooking and chemistry are pretty much the same thing.

I will point out though that one of the things Nexus likes to do is put the steps of a crafting chain in different professions. The alchemist needs chefs to make it.

So they should break lore to feel special?

Well I mean you make lore to feel special so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Annnnnyways

Cooking is basically chemistry except you can eat it.

Looks to be good so long as it doesn't screw with chefs too much.

What? I'm not devaluing anything, you still need a master chef to get a golden apple before you create the alchemic golden apple.

Also you said useful alchemy profession, which makes me think you might be joking... since it can't do a thing at the moment.

In that case it becomes absurdly difficult to obtain a golden apple, plus it's going to be overly complicated attempting to regulate alchemic golden apples and their RP creation. I'd rather just have regular golden apples be used for this purpose because they're already too difficult to acquire.

When more alchemy recipes are discovered in this plugin, I am almost certain the alchemy profession will have much more value, whereas cooking has little to no value currently. All of this is not to mention that you can already basically RP any of the previous alchemy you want. 

I really like this idea. It brings back that value golden apples had back before the adventure update, as they would heal all of your health instead of giving you some hunger and fast regen. I'm all for this.