The Coven Witches

JuniperSelkie

LORE

In addition to the Frost Witches, coven witches roam the land. But rather than being magical themselves, they wield magic of the void. Commonly, they pick from several void magics, and, rather than channeling the void through themselves, channel it through their wand, using it to focus and amplify their power. A witch's wand is a rather expensive item, being crafted from thornwood, inlayed with lapis, and then capped with gold at both ends.

The Covens are lead by the Crone, an ancient witch who is currently missing or dead. Leading in her place are the 13 clan mothers, among them, Wisteria Ophiuchus, leader of the Serpentine Witches. There are 12 other clans/covens besides the Serpent Bearers.

Witches excel at alchemy and enchanting, as well as conjuration, light illusion, fire evocation, water evocation, telekinesis, abjuration, void translocation, and various other void types. They usually select 3-5 out of the list though, rather than pursuing all. However, much knowledge of Witchcraft, especially their unique style of enchanting (which can be used to place magical glyphs on things other than items, including doors and walls and floors to cause varied effects) has been lost. They have been reduced to the most basic form of witchcraft, peddling things like minor fertility spells and potions to restore hair. There are, however, evil coven witches around. These coven witches have found fragments of ancient grimoires and/or relics from the first witches, and abuse their powers. At least until stopped.

Witches follow the Daemon Ereshkigal, who sometimes will send them visions via crystal ball or scrying pool.

Ereshkigal is the Daemon of Night, and its hard to say where she fits in on the scale of power. She's technically neutral, though most only turn to her teachings if seeking power. She's a motherly figure at times, but can be cold and harsh to those who scorn or spurn her. She has been known to approach Witches and offer them a Choice which could either better or worsen their lives. She is a cunning, devious being, who has been known to ensnare people and force them to perform deeds they normally wouldn't in order to achieve freedom. She, unlike most beings of her caliber, she has a small following. This has made her somewhat bitter, so she prefers to manifest as an old woman, a young maiden, or a stern matron, and mess with mortals. Ereshkigal didn't give the Witches anything but knowledge, teaching them how to use magic in a different way.

Witches in groups can perform ritual spells, which can have either benificial or detrimental effects. However, this requires a special kind of enchanting table called a Void Ripper (end portal).

The First Witch, a woman by the name of Faelune, was said to be buried with many of her enchantments. Whoever finds her grave is likely to be the next leader of the witches.

i actually really like this and it could probably use some fleshing out but it's a pretty good idea, reminds me of season 3 of ahs (mostly just because of the word coven but ya'know)

I honestly liked the idea, but I got a question for you: they don't start with most of those rare magics, do they? Also, you changed them into followers of some daemon I think that goes a bit too far. But otherwise good idea.

+1..

How would one store power from the void? Wouldn't it seem back into the void itself? Also thorn wood, is that a new type of wood or already in the lore of LotC. You also put, "reducing the stress of the void on their bodies..." I have to disagree with you there. If they are using magic and store energy from the void and store it in a wand, that energy is still energy from the void, it hasn't been changed so why would it reduce the affects of the void? And don't quote me on this, but I don't think mages use energy from the void to supply magic, they use their mana and the void to "create" things with that mana. Also some of the magic listed are teacher locked, and do note, the more magic types a Mage learns the less skilled they are. Do not forget witchcraft is a touchy topic on LotC as well. Overall, the idea is nice but lacks detail and clarity, at least to me.

EDIT: I don't think most of this needs LM approval except for the storing wands, less void corruption, witchy powers and the new Deamon.

Since the rare magics are lost, the best idea would be to hop into a coven, and search with them, cuz covens aren't eager to share their secrets with solitary witches, or with other covens.

Also, thornwood is acacia, if i remember right. And rather than using the void energy by pulling it out through their body, they use the wand as a catalyst. They still experience the withering effect from the void, just to a lesser degree.

I sorta find that strange, given that to access the void a human must connect to it and the first connection usually takes a while. How is a wand supposed to be used as a catalyst as you say?

They do the connection themselves, but they rather than drawing the energy into their own body and then projecting it, they draw it into the wand. Keep in mind that gathering materials for a wand wouldn't be cheap or easy. The art of wand making is the only old magic the witches have left.

Void magic and deity magic usually don't mix, so I think you should between one or the other. If they just use void magic, you don't really need accepted lore to play such a character, however some of the magics you've listed (contract magic, soul puppetry, and mind magic) are locked, so you would have to learn from someone IG in order to know how to use these.

They use void, but their patron is Ereshkigal. She didn't give them powers, she taught them new ways to use old things.

It's neat. I guess the wand is like...pointless though. What could a wizard do with a staff?

I really like this.

Even moreso with the deity teaching them.

*Hecate, isis, and other deities of magic intensifies*

After reading this again, you could just make a guild that doesn't require LM approval, with the exceptions I stated before.

This Is a really well thought out idea and while there are some things that may not be allowed I really hope this happens as I believe it will add rp and a new sort of experience to the server. +1

I can tell that you though this out well and spent time on this, I love this idea and give my support

+1

LORE

In addition to the Frost Witches, coven witches roam the land. But rather than being magical themselves, they wield magic of the void. Commonly, they pick from several void magics, and, rather than channeling the void through themselves, channel it directly into their wands, storing it. A witch's wand is a rather expensive item, being crafted from thornwood, inlayed with lapis, and then capped with gold at both ends. The process they use, however, allows them to store a limited amount of void energy in their wands, reducing the stress of the void on their bodies.

The Covens are lead by the Crone, an ancient witch who is currently missing or dead. Leading in her place are the 13 clan mothers, among them, Wisteria Ophiuchus, leader of the Serpentine Witches. There are 12 other clans/covens besides the Serpent Bearers.

Witches excel at alchemy and enchanting, as well as conjuration, mental magic, fire evocation, water evocation, telekinesis, abjuration, void translocation, soul puppetry, and contract magic. They usually select 3-5 out of the list though, rather than pursuing all. However, much knowledge of Witchcraft, especially their unique style of enchanting (which can be used to place magical glyphs on things other than items, including doors and walls and floors to cause varied effects) has been lost. They have been reduced to the most basic form of witchcraft, peddling things like minor fertility spells and potions to restore hair. There are, however, evil coven witches around. These coven witches have found fragments of ancient grimoires and/or relics from the first witches, and abuse their powers. At least until stopped.

Witches follow the Daemon Ereshkigal, who sometimes will send them visions via crystal ball or scrying pool.

Ereshkigal is the Daemon of Night, and its hard to say where she fits in on the scale of power. She's technically neutral, though most only turn to her teachings if seeking power. She's a motherly figure at times, but can be cold and harsh to those who scorn or spurn her. She has been known to approach Witches and offer them a Choice which could either better or worsen their lives. She is a cunning, devious being, who has been known to ensnare people and force them to perform deeds they normally wouldn't in order to achieve freedom. She, unlike most Daemons, is trapped in a single domain, unable to leave. This has made her somewhat bitter, so she prefers to manifest as an old woman, a young maiden, or a stern matron, and mess with mortals. Ereshkigal didn't give the Witches anything but knowledge, teaching them how to use magic in a different way. She also taught them how to take familiars, an animal that they can look through the eyes of and have accompany them, but that bit of knowledge has yet to be rediscovered.

The First Witch, a woman by the name of Faelune, was said to be buried with many of her enchantments. Whoever finds her grave is likely to be the next leader of the witches.

I put in red the things that don't fit lore or can't be accepted.