[Lore & Magic Idea, Wip?] The Elemental Aengudaemons

spqrSancus

Angudaemons tends to get some people's asses pretty tight. There used to be some different religious systems that gave personalities to the Elements and called them Aspects (maybe, I don't remember). Quite simply this could become a religious belief that is complementary to existing magic types, or could become its own magic types (though I would say let's first make the step of laying down the religion).

Naturally it rubs up against evocation and Latauman in terms of trying to create a separate form of magic. But, depending on how the Lore Masters are feeling about keeping everything in tight little butcheek boxes, an elemental magic system could bridge the two. Or, just to keep people less butt hurt, once a religion is in place the magic could be identical to Latauman, only using these Elemental Aspects (or another name, whatever) instead of the Spirits. So the same magic has two sources.

I want more fun and less Lore restrictions. Don't just stick to the system because that is what 'works'. Use the system to guide you to what is much more exciting. That's my $0.02. Nestle these guys in between Druidism and Shamanism. A religious type system where you connect to the Elements in a way that transcends the abilities of mortal man.

This is about what I would intend - it could be the same as normal evocation, just drawing from a different source.

So yeah, this would work. I'll start working on it. :) Thanks.

If they resemble forces of nature, this may tread on Aspect or Spirit territory. An alternative source seems unnecessary and only further stacks complicated details on what is already established.

Isn't this similar how Evocation worked in Aegis? Not really sure how it worked just was told it was similiar by a few though this shouldn't really require aengul lore. What Elindor said seems pretty cool just having aspects in a way to personify them. 

Lago told me otherwise.

If they resemble forces of nature, this may tread on Aspect or Spirit territory. An alternative source seems unnecessary and only further stacks complicated details on what is already established.

Well, at the moment, they don't. An alternative source IS unnecessary - it's something that would be nice to have. If you have another suggestion, shoot away.

You don't really need accepted lore for this. Not unless those deities have an effect on the mortal realm and are actually real (Like Iblees or Aeriel). Your character could pray to one of these spirits for the element and through deep prayer connect to that deity (but actually be connecting to the void so long as the meditation process is similar) in order to produce the evocation.

Would the deities actually be real? Doesn't matter. If you are using the exact same magic that already exists your character can think he garner it anyway they want since their is nothing stopping you from creating new religions ICly.

The only thing you need to watch for if you go this route is that OOCly you know you are connecting to the void but ICly you believe what you are connecting to is some divine spirit or being. The void is vast and has different effects on each individual. 

What exactly does this add to the server? What is different about this magic from voidal evocation that would make it interesting enough to justify further conplicating our already crowded magic list?

What exactly does this add to the server? What is different about this magic from voidal evocation that would make it interesting enough to justify further conplicating our already crowded magic list?

I think it would put a nice, more religious spin on standard void evocation. I don't really see any negative side to this, it's not a new magic or changing anything to it. Just giving it a bit more meaning and possible RP to it. So, I think that is a good short few sentences to answer that.

Just a small edit- The only thing I can see going wrong with this is people abusing this and using this magic instead. Ultimately allowing evocationists to use magics that wouldn't normally allow them to be used. Such as clerical magics, or druidism?

You don't really need accepted lore for this. Not unless those deities have an effect on the mortal realm and are actually real (Like Iblees or Aeriel). Your character could pray to one of these spirits for the element and through deep prayer connect to that deity (but actually be connecting to the void so long as the meditation process is similar) in order to produce the evocation.

Would the deities actually be real? Doesn't matter. If you are using the exact same magic that already exists your character can think he garner it anyway they want since their is nothing stopping you from creating new religions ICly.

The only thing you need to watch for if you go this route is that OOCly you know you are connecting to the void but ICly you believe what you are connecting to is some divine spirit or being. The void is vast and has different effects on each individual. 

That works for me. In that case, someone deny and remove this lore to the archives. :P Though I'd kindly request that clarification of this be put up in the guides or lore forums, so that others may see and work with it - at the moment, the majority of people believe that the character must ICly know it is void magic.

Edit: On second thought, leave this idea up, in case someone still wants it to happen.

Edited by spqrSancus

Knowledge of magic in character is SOLELY driven by out of character information for no particular reason. Do you remember when Alteration was renamed to transmogrification? That was a test to see how quickly characters would start calling a magic by some weird name because the change was motivated OOC. And it was an unfortunate success.

Because there is a guide that says "this is what is actually doing the magic, what it is called, and how it works" every player instinctively knows that.

Absolutely, a new religion can be started without Lore. And hopefully people know that. And absolutely that religion can re-shape your understanding of how your character does things. Hopefully people can assume that. So you can easily walk up to someone and tell them that you can evoke water because Nymphia speaks to you. They will think you are crazy because their roleplay is single layered and relies on OOC information to exist, but you'll be having a good time.

What exactly happened to the aengul for them to want followers? Also, I recommend making it less complicated to read, it just killed and fried my brain. Otherwise, looks good so far. Though- also, what's the aenguls motive?

Knowledge of magic in character is SOLELY driven by out of character information for no particular reason. Do you remember when Alteration was renamed to transmogrification? That was a test to see how quickly characters would start calling a magic by some weird name because the change was motivated OOC. And it was an unfortunate success.

Because there is a guide that says "this is what is actually doing the magic, what it is called, and how it works" every player instinctively knows that.

Absolutely, a new religion can be started without Lore. And hopefully people know that. And absolutely that religion can re-shape your understanding of how your character does things. Hopefully people can assume that. So you can easily walk up to someone and tell them that you can evoke water because Nymphia speaks to you. They will think you are crazy because their roleplay is single layered and relies on OOC information to exist, but you'll be having a good time.

^ Main reason I wanted this lore. I can work with pretending OOC, but others might not. So, after some consideration, this post is still active, and should be taken as such.

What exactly happened to the aengul for them to want followers? Also, I recommend making it less complicated to read, it just killed and fried my brain. Otherwise, looks good so far. Though- also, what's the aenguls motive?

1. Just makes it easier for them to achieve their goal.

2. Sorry, I'll try. I followed Goldensaint's post for a format.

3. Thanks. :P

4. Explained in post, see paragraph 3 in the individual Aengudaemon's section.

Also, just a question but for the fire aspect and air aspect. Wouldn't it be a bit wrong to disallow their follows the inability to learn other forms of magic? You could say things such as. The fire daemon wouldn't want their followers to be unable to learn other magics as they wouldn't be able to grow as strong and for the air one. Be a bit hypocritical saying that they wish everyone to be free and their followers to be free to make their own choices but burdening them by disallowing them to learn other forms of magic. Though, things can be said in opposites like the fire daemon wanting their followers to be strong physically aswell. I think I just wanted clarification though if these aspects/aenguls/daemons/what have you are disallowing their followers to learn other forms of magic. Or it is physically impossible to learn it.

I like what you've done and its obvious that you've put a lot of time and effort into this if the mods accept this I think It will add more excitement to learning and using magic. I think it will also add more of a following and separated group feel to magic that we don't have now which is both good and bad for different reasons. +1

It would make sense in that regard for the fire aspect to not agree with the water aspect, but the other two are kindof alright. Same for air with earth. The opposites wouldn't tolerate eachother.

Also, just a question but for the fire aspect and air aspect. Wouldn't it be a bit wrong to disallow their follows the inability to learn other forms of magic? You could say things such as. The fire daemon wouldn't want their followers to be unable to learn other magics as they wouldn't be able to grow as strong and for the air one. Be a bit hypocritical saying that they wish everyone to be free and their followers to be free to make their own choices but burdening them by disallowing them to learn other forms of magic. Though, things can be said in opposites like the fire daemon wanting their followers to be strong physically aswell. I think I just wanted clarification though if these aspects/aenguls/daemons/what have you are disallowing their followers to learn other forms of magic. Or it is physically impossible to learn it.

It's more like physically impossible - connecting with a deity generally severs your ability to learn unrelated magic, such as is the case with Tahariae. Also, gods tend to be jealous. Doesn't matter what religion, they generally as a rule don't like their followers following other deities to the same extent as they would follow their patron.

Plus, particularly in the regards of the Fire Daemon, he WOULD want his follower to remain somewhat physically strong - remember, he prefers to choose his champions out of seasoned warriors and swordsmiths.

As for air... Well, I based it sort of and sort of not off of Buddhism. It's sorta of a big melting pot for a few major religions. ut due to it's freedom aspects, I feel it connects a lot with the Indian prince. He imposed rules and restraints on himself to allow himself to become free. It works, as paradoxical as it seems.

I like what you've done and its obvious that you've put a lot of time and effort into this if the mods accept this I think It will add more excitement to learning and using magic. I think it will also add more of a following and separated group feel to magic that we don't have now which is both good and bad for different reasons. +1

Thanks. And yeah, I see what you mean about the down-sides - I think both up-sides and down-sides have been expressed by various people on the post. Though, like you, I believe it has more pros than cons.

It would make sense in that regard for the fire aspect to not agree with the water aspect, but the other two are kindof alright. Same for air with earth. The opposites wouldn't tolerate eachother.

Hmmm... You know, that makes sense. I didn't think of that too much.

I have to compliment the fact that the lore is really well written but I do find it to be very unneeded. One of the issues us shamans had in having the far seer subtype accepted was overlapping ideals, abilities, ect. This magic seems to be basically the same as evocations and shamanism subtypes. A question the LT most likely asks is "How is this different than what we already have?" and quite honestly it is not.