Aura Sensory Magic

MamaBearJade

r4Z7SvM.jpg?1

When sitting alone, one may get the sense of people watching them, or something is near. They turn but there is nothing.The hairs begin to stand on the back of their neck and soon the realize the walls have closed in. The room was getting smaller. No, that wasn’t right. Their senses were getting stronger. But what is this actual power? It is something called an Aura. Everyone has one, and the aura comes in various strengths and hues. A good detector of auras can tell exactly what mood someone is in or even if someone is near. Only those who have mastered this form of self consciousness can even see with just an aura.

What are Auras?

An aura is strictly spiritual energy. In a scientific sense it is an electromagnetic field that surrounds all living beings in a layer. Much like wearing a big fluffy coat. It varies in sensitivity and size, depending on the spiritual strength of the person. While many blow this off as some parlor trick, auras are much like a person’s life force.

Aura Sensory Magic

Aura sensory utilizes the spiritual aspect of Auras to sense the world around them. However, depending on the user, depends on how the magic is used. Very few have been able to use aura magic and master it. The few that have, are bound to the rules set forth by the spiritual balance of their own souls. The magic is a non-aggressive, non-combative magic. However, it can be used in aid. There are certain levels of aura manipulation that allows one to utilize it in ways never thought to be used before.

0gwPf2l.jpg

Aura Training

In order to be able to see aura’s one must train in a deep in a cave, devoid of sound and light. This slowly begins to deprave your five senses. Stripping down to nothing but their under clothes (or bathing suit), you must float in a still, body temperature pool and focus. With all five senses deprived your mind and spirit are sent into focus. At first it will be uncontrolled and the cave will play tricks on the mind, making every rock, every stone, every stalagmite, seem like it was moving closer. Many are driven mad and flee before they can complete the training.

However, if one is able to calm themselves, they can begin to pull the aura back and shape it around their body. Over years of focusing, they would be able to sense the world around them inside the small cave. They are then ready to expand and take their training to the surface. From here they then can learn the varying colors and meanings of auras.

Aura Sensing

Aura sensing can be done with eyes open or closed. Depending on the strength of the person’s spirit and the strength of the detector, auras can be visible to the detector. The varying colors can detect a person’s mood and even give off indicators that someone is lying. While this requires little to no concentration, aura seeing is a little more difficult. With the eyes closed or covered, a detector can focus around them and see aura’s without sight. Feeling aura’s are limited to the distance of one’s own aura.

Aura Fingerprinting

Each person has a specific aura to them. While this can be used to see distinctly if person a is really person b, this requires intensive training. A detector can tell if someone’s aura is the same as someone else, however, they do fail roughly twenty five percent of the time. While this is useful, it isnt the most practical. This requires a good hour of sensing and learning the aura. As well as searching the second aura for nearly double the time.

Detector Types

There are three types of detectors. Most people can only become one, while few can become two.

Aura Seekers : These are the people who focus on seeing with aura’s only. Able to see them as clear as seeing a person. This is the only detector type that does not require focus.

Aura Sensors : These are the people who can detect mood and focus on the feeling of their auras interactions. This detector type requires concentration to some degree. To see the colors of auras they need to focus.

Aura Focusers : These are the ones who study individual auras. They can tell if someone is lying or is actually someone else after some sensing. This one requires the most concentration. These people spend years fine tuning their skills.

Red Lines

- You can only see auras of people that would be visible to you. Not through walls or solid objects

- You can feel if someone is behind you, however, the distance is less than a foot on the most powerful detectors. By the time you detect danger, its most likely too late

- Fingerprinting auras is very difficult and has a chance to fail. If you roll a multiple of 4 (4, 8, 12, 16, or 20), you fail the check and can not try again for two OOC hours.

- During Aura sensing, your senses are lowered because of the focus required for all but aura seekers

- You can not force an aura on someone. If you can not tell OOCly someone's character is a specific mood, their aura is grey. If you wish to know for sure, PM them

Notes

- Aura magic comes from inside the user, not outside forces, meaning it does not interfere with other magics

- Aura magic is no more than sight and touch. If you can not MCly see it (not nameplates) then you cannot RPly see it with auras

- Aura magic is a passive magic

- The only aura users that do not need to focus are seekers as it is a passive magic mostly

F.A.Q.

Q. So if the person fails a finger printing aura sensing, does this mean you can retry later?

A. Basically its like fingerprinting. If you don't get the sense they are the same person, they to you are not the same person. You don't get to automatically assume they are "the same" if the evidence to you says otherwise. Just like fingerprinting. Computer won't look at you twice.

Q. So is this a offensive, defensive, or passive magic?

A. Passive. It does not do anything to anyone else.

Q. Wait, can't mages see auras? This seems redundant.

A. I personally believe mages can see mage aura or auras involved with magic and void, not spiritual auras that everyone has, regardless of whether they have magic or not.

I've read through a few times and I like it so far! I feel it's very balanced and would make an interesting completely non-combative (finally!) magic. +1

No more locked magic.

Aura is steam that goes off somebody when they cast. This quote breaks preexisting lore making edits toward it. Aura sensing is already quite possible, as well. Mostly -1ing because this is locked, no more locked magic. Instead of locking, let's open /all/ magic. 

"An aura is strictly spiritual energy. In a scientific sense it is an electromagnetic field that surrounds all living beings in a layer. Much like wearing a big fluffy coat. It varies in sensitivity and size, depending on the spiritual strength of the person. While many blow this off as some parlor trick, auras are much like a person’s life force."

-snip-

Adding onto this (not the unlock all magic since that's a /terrible/ idea, but that can be explained on a separate thread), but he's right. Auras can be seen when any void mage is casting, and a person can control their own through Arcane Evocation and Shielding.

You should write lore for mood rings as well.

Change the name, then you get a plus one from me! Aura as a name is too related to the magical aura, and will confuse people

Auras are related to IRL beliefs of wickanism. The /only/ reason i want it teacher locked because i dont want people trying to powergame it.

I am not changing the name, and I feel mages can see MAGIC auras, not spiritual.

Auras are related to IRL beliefs of wickanism. The /only/ reason i want it teacher locked because i dont want people trying to powergame it.

I am not changing the name, and I feel mages can see MAGIC auras, not spiritual.

Anything can be power-gamed to the same degree. And I see now, it's a different form of aura? Fine with me.

Anything can be power-gamed to the same degree. And I see now, it's a different form of aura? Fine with me.

Some things can be power-gamed more than others and unlocking all magic will cause the locked magics to deteriorate quality wise just as void magic has.

And yeah, if this isn't magical auras, +1.

Yeah its spiritual, unique to each person completely.

A magic that can be used by anyone regardless of what magic they learn. Heck, it can even be learned by those under an Okar contract as its spiritual energy

As before mentioned, this aura heavily seems to pertain to magical aura. A clear divide should be made, to avoid confusion. I'd also like to mention the ability to see behind you, regardless of the distance. I know you mean well, but some people on Lotc can't play by the rule of "just because you can, doesn't always mean you should", and will often take what you've given and abuse it.

Aside from that, spiritual aura seems way too real for Lotc, much like how the Oren religion is handled too much like Christianity. Hence why I believe this bit of lore just doesn't seem to relate or fit into Lotc all too well.

Very interesting to read, this might come in good for some rp situations which I can't think of at the moment, but I +1 this lore! Seems fun to rp it.

Some things can be power-gamed more than others and unlocking all magic will cause the locked magics to deteriorate quality wise just as void magic has.

And yeah, if this isn't magical auras, +1.

Both true, but would evocation which is combative, or alteration be able to be powergamed just as easily? I can see how people can powergame it, but other magics that are unlocked can already be powergamed just as much. I personally just think all non combative magics should be unlocked within reason. And as said people can already sense auras to a degree. I like the idea but I think this would be best as a clarification of how people can see auras, a seperate magic entirely? Perhaps though it shouldn't be locked. There really is no point to be.

Both true, but would evocation which is combative, or alteration be able to be powergamed just as easily? I can see how people can powergame it, but other magics that are unlocked can already be powergamed just as much. I personally just think all non combative magics should be unlocked within reason. And as said people can already sense auras to a degree. I like the idea but I think this would be best as a clarification of how people can see auras, a seperate magic entirely? Perhaps though it shouldn't be locked. There really is no point to be.

It is its own type as its spiritual not void diety or aspect. It pertains to your own senses and your own personal ability. Some people IRL claim to have this ability. I personally can tell if someone is behind me, it feels...weird and usually by the time I feel them, i would have been killed had they wanted that. It gives no advantages in game, like stated "Can be considered a parlour trick"