[Magic] [Lore Revision] Arcanism (formerly arcane evocation and shielding)

BrandNewKitten

Animals
This seems to pass over the redlines of all evocations that states that the mage can not make life or even shapes resembling life without the also knowing conjuration. You could make a blob of something, but it'll just be that.

It's not actual life. It's just arcane energy shaped like a living being. It has no organs, no life functions, it's not alive at all. It's just a bunch of arcane energy that the mage shaped like an animal and has to fully control like a puppet. You don't need to know conjuration to know what any animal looks like. And it's not even useful in combat. I don't see why this is an issue.

It's not actual life. It's just arcane energy shaped like a living being. It has no organs, no life functions, it's not alive at all. It's just a bunch of arcane energy that the mage shaped like an animal and has to fully control like a puppet. You don't need to know conjuration to know what any animal looks like. And it's not even useful in combat. I don't see why this is an issue.

Actually, yes you do. Same as you need conjuration to make a fire cat with fire evo. And of course it's not alive, I just mean it can't resemble life and be controlled like a living thing without the mage also knowing conjuration. You don't need to know conjuration to know what an animal looks like, that's why illusion can create them. But you need it to shape your element the correct way and control it the correct way.

Arcanism has been able to make puppet animals unusable in combat since as long as I can remember. I don't see why it's an issue to let them keep it. They don't even look real, they're just glowing aura colored animals.

Arcanism has been able to make puppet animals unusable in combat since as long as I can remember. I don't see why it's an issue to let them keep it. They don't even look real, they're just glowing aura colored animals.

This has so much wrong in it... 

You're pretty much saying if its unusable in combat let them have it. Due to it only being an aesthetic value to RP. With what you're saying I could in theory create arcane beasts without the need of conjuration since they do not use it in combat, can you then do it with other magics? Lets create a fire pet without conjuration for aesthetic value.

Please. Follow the lore given, to make any animal even if it's simple or for small fun aesthetic RP you need conjuration. The end.

Let them create a "fire pet" if they want. It's going to be useless and will drain their mana so quick it'll poof in a few minutes. Arcane life has always been a thing, but if conjurationists are going to get cranky about it now then I can do without it to avoid trouble.

Edited by Whimsycal

This has so much wrong in it... 

You're pretty much saying if its unusable in combat let them have it. Due to it only being an aesthetic value to RP. With what you're saying I could in theory create arcane beasts without the need of conjuration since they do not use it in combat, can you then do it with other magics? Lets create a fire pet without conjuration for aesthetic value.

Please. Follow the lore given, to make any animal even if it's simple or for small fun aesthetic RP you need conjuration. The end.

No, what I'm saying is "Arcanism has been able to make puppet animals unusable in combat since as long as I can remember. I don't see why it's an issue to let them keep it. They don't even look real, they're just glowing aura colored animals.". 

Arcanism has been doing this for a while. The reason evocationists cannot make fire animals is because it would require too much detail from the shaping of the element. Arcanism does not suffer this taxation, as the magic was written in its original lore to be better at creating artistic magic. 

This is from the guide : "-Arcane life ; Caster can physically mold their evocation to resemble life, butterflies being my most common. While the arcane butterfly doesn't live or have a mind it still acts as a puppet to the caster." ~ BrandNewKitten.

What BNK has written here is nothing new, this is how the magic has worked. If you want to change it, you are going to be changing existing lore, which is fine; however, to pretend that the magic has been unable to do this in the past is foolish.

There's the guide.

Imo molding pure arcane energies seems more taxing than molding evoked rocks into a bear shape.

It is not.

-Could you use to shields in order to bang them together on someone's skull to crush it?

It would be considering dual-weilding (in reference to the shield specialization) so much more mana is being used. Then you are performing to shield bashes against an object between two shields (if the shields weren't bubbles they could move a bit easier). It is highly situational and uses a ton of mana but it is possible. However their skull wouldn't be crushed. At the most they would be knocked out with a concussion.

-Can the discs if hurled fast enough (emoting serious focus and angling arm back) to ever cut someone or sever flesh like a neck or limb?

Discs aren't sharp. They deal blunt damage. They could damage a limb just like any other blunt object but discs specifically are not powerful enough to tear a whole limb off. Maybe break a bone if you are lucky?

Also I made some alterations/clarifications to the thread, including hit count for weaponry and made the hammer into a 1 or 2 hit weapon. ^_^

-snip-

Also I made some alterations/clarifications to the thread, including hit count for weaponry and made the hammer into a 1 or 2 hit weapon. ^_^

Meow meow! (Thank you!)

Imo molding pure arcane energies seems more taxing than molding evoked rocks into a bear shape.

It is not.

So then creating life with other evocations should be easy then? Since creating a snake out of arcane seems alot more taxing then putting five stones together to create a snake.

It is not.

So then creating life with other evocations should be easy then? Since creating a snake out of arcane seems alot more taxing then putting five stones together to create a snake.

Disco literally just said it's not more taxing. It doesn't really matter what it seems. Arcanism shapes things the easiest. You keep arguing points that were just answered. >_>

I'm just going to pop in here and say I like this revision. Evark, if you need more clarification on why it isn't more taxing, pop me a PM on skype and I'll explain.

tl;dr +1

I'm just going to pop in here and say I like this revision. Evark, if you need more clarification on why it isn't more taxing, pop me a PM on skype and I'll explain.

tl;dr +1

I am glad to hear existing users are happy with the update! If you have any specifics that you see or something missing feel free to PM me.