[✗] [Lore Submission] Aura Sensory

HedgeHug

Spoiler

A rewrit of the following lore belonging to Jade:

Thanks for letting me rewrite it!

Energy-Body-Dreamstime.jpg

What is an Aura?

The ‘smoke’ of mana. Passive mana slowly degrades to become aura if it is in excess (such as when it is in a soul that produces lots of passive mana, such as a mage’s soul). Active mana, when used to perform actions, is spent and burned, becoming aura. This is why a mage’s aura is most visible when they perform magic, yet this does not mean it is always visible or that is must be visible when magic is cast. In fact, it is usually invisible, but the use of magic makes it more likely to be in large enough quantities to be visible. Aura can be considered the ‘smoke’ if mana being used is the ‘fire’. If aura forms in vast quantities, the colour it takes is entirely dependent on the Mage producing it, which is dependent on the active mana and thus dependent on the passive mana and finally the soul. This means that the aura colour of an individual is a good representation of their base character. Aura colour does not change under typical circumstances, however, and is a constant throughout one's life unless great change happens to them or their soul (such as becoming a Shade or binding one's soul to a soul tree). The colour of aura can mean many things, where blue could mean anything from a cool, analytical mind to a cruel, heartless one, or red meaning bravery or wrath. It is usually very difficult to be sure of a person's nature solely by their aura.

That said, this does not mean only void mages have an Aura. It's only that it is a visible aspect of their art. Every descendant has an Aura, and this Aura can be sensed by those trained in it.

Source: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/151276-✓-the-states-of-mana/

Blue: Calculatedness and logicality (Sometimes emotional coldness)

Purple: Mysteriousness

White: Benevolence, order and innocence.

Brown: Nurturing and caring

Yellow: Greed (Sometimes optimism)

Red: Dominance, power and control (Sometimes tyrannical natures)

Green: Harmony and balance (Sometimes vanity).

Black: Chaos and malevolence.

Source: Wiki

Aura Sensory

Aura sensory is the name given to the ability to view the Aura that a person possesses. This can be done through two ways. Through connection and without. A connection can be something simple and subtle, and shall produce an accurate result easily done by any that studied the art in adequate depth. Viewing one's Aura without a connection requires more skill and is thus limited to the elite practitioners of the art.

The magic is a non-aggressive, non-combative magic. However, it can be used in aid. There are certain levels of Aura manipulation that allows one to utilize it in ways never thought to be used before.

The learning process

In order to filter out such a fine thing as Aura, one must first confine themselves in an area where there is no interaction if any kind. A boat beset by ocean or a cavern long deserted serve perfectly fine for this. Meditation will then ensue, with focus on the concept of Aura. Only when the student embraced the concept of the ‘absence’ of anything they can progress and practice with somebody else.

They need somebody with an Aura to take with them into the practise grounds and focus on this. After time they will distinct it from the nothingness, and can start practising it in the civilized world. Here they will learn about the different Aura’s and the personalities bound to them.

Sensing Aura

The concept of sensing an Aura and its accuracy depends on three main factors:

• The skill of the Sensor

• The Time spend Sensing

• The presence of Physical Contact

Aura sensing can be done with eyes open or closed. Depending on the amount of focus, Auras can become visible to the sensor. The varying colors can detect a person’s mood and even give off indicators that someone is lying. While this requires little to no concentration, Aura seeing is a little more difficult. With the eyes closed or covered, a detector can focus around them and see Aura’s without sight. Thus they see darkness around them and the colored outlines of those that have an Aura.

Types of Sensing

Aura Seeking : These are the people who focus on seeing with Aura’s only. Able to see them as clear as seeing a person. This is the only detector type that does not require focus. It is as if putting on special glasses that makes them see the Aura’s of people around them.

Aura Sensing : These are the people who can detect mood and focus on the feeling of their Auras interactions. This detector type requires concentration to some degree. To see the colors of Auras they need to focus.

Tier Progression

Tier one : The aspirant sensor shall locate an adequate place to train and practice meditation for two full years. At the end of this stage he or she is to find a user of the voidal arts to then focus on this individual's own Aura.

Tier two : Starting to practise sensing the Aura of their training partner, they will gain knowledge on the first of Aura types around. They can only sense with a physical connection and after some time. They can now use it in the field though it is highly likely to fail or deliver inaccurate results.

Tier three : Sensing one's Aura through physical connection now delivers vialiable results. At this point the student can start to experiment with remote sensing and going in depth into one of the three branches the magic entails.

Tier four : Further improvement of accuracy, remote sensing and in depth study in either Aura seeking, sensing or typing.

Tier five: The Aura Sensor successfully mastered the art of sensing, viewing and reading the Aura’s of those around him or her.

Red Lines

• Vision is important. You can only view the Aura of those within your field of view. Not through walls or doors. Windows offer for a slight barrier and can manipulate the results.

• ‘Activating’ the Aura Vision (as I like to call it) will drain the mage’s mana pool. Thus it is wise not to do this 24/7, though the drain is rather small. Not a lot of mana is needed for this voidal magic.

• This is a passive magic and has no combat use.

• High tiered Sensors can manipulate their own Aura so that it looks different than it actually is. They keep their original Aura but can mask it.

• The second part is more, say you lived with say 'Bill' for years, and his aura becomes super familiar. You would get the same sense of familiarity if he changed his appearance, as you would if you saw him change his hair/voice. But under illusion, that would be masked because of illusion aura.

Really interesting idea and a cool concept, gives the 'auras' a reason for existing outside of Arcanism users. 

Will this take up a slot to do and perform? Or will it be like Circle Magic that is accessible and usable to any mage if acquired through RP?

Just now, Suspensium ☯ said:

Will this take up a slot to do and perform? Or will it be like Circle Magic that is accessible and usable to any mage if acquired through RP?

To be discussed

When you say remote sensing in your tier progression, how remote do you mean? Because that could open up some potential conflicts with the redlines, especially considering that the only time "Remote" sensing is mentioned is in the progression.

5 minutes ago, Suspensium ☯ said:

Really interesting idea and a cool concept, gives the 'auras' a reason for existing outside of Arcanism users. 

I would prefer to see it being allowed to be used by anyone willing to go through the rp learning of it. Any mage, any player, anyone. But still be acquired like a normal magic. Something like Household magic, but with a little more effort/work

14 minutes ago, Hedgehug said:

These are the people who can detect mood and focus on the feeling of their Auras interactions.

I'd be interested in how exactly this is meant to work, though I have no qualms with it working. Just thinking about aura logically, there is no obvious reason why someone's mental states would affect the production or the 'feeling' of their aura, and thus would allow someone to detect their mood from it. Seeing as aura is produced simply as a matter of course for a living soul, I would be interested in hearing why mood might affect the production of aura; I can see ways that it could work, so don't feel that I'm disbarring you from making it so, I'm just interested in it and wanting to prompt some explanation of it. More depth for the lore is good!

I'd also mention that the aura colour = character archetype lore has been VERY lax for quite some time, so asking people to correlate their character to their aura might be unwelcome. It's a minor point that some people might find an unnecessary hindrance when wanting to design the aesthetic of their character, so it might be an idea to weaken the ideas surrounding the meaning of aura colour.

4 minutes ago, Aelesh said:

I'd be interested in how exactly this is meant to work, though I have no qualms with it working. Just thinking about aura logically, there is no obvious reason why someone's mental states would affect the production or the 'feeling' of their aura, and thus would allow someone to detect their mood from it. Seeing as aura is produced simply as a matter of course for a living soul, I would be interested in hearing why mood might affect the production of aura; I can see ways that it could work, so don't feel that I'm disbarring you from making it so, I'm just interested in it and wanting to prompt some explanation of it. More depth for the lore is good!

I'd also mention that the aura colour = character archetype lore has been VERY lax for quite some time, so asking people to correlate their character to their aura might be unwelcome. It's a minor point that some people might find an unnecessary hindrance when wanting to design the aesthetic of their character, so it might be an idea to weaken the ideas surrounding the meaning of aura colour.

Aura colors can be severely effected by mood. Just as body temperature. Someone enraged may sweat more, or have a more "hot" colored aura (red is common here) where someone who is sad tends to be more cooled (such as in the blues). Color coordinating to archetype is a bit more -eh- to me. Think of more, an aura can change color. If I were to look at you one day and see your aura as warm, radiant, and green, it could be you just had a day visiting a fae ring or are just in overal good spirits. Where the next day your aura feels cold, distant and looks purple, you could have just stolen my bike or done something you're ashamed of. While each aura is unique, they also change and flow. An aura sensor could just say "Oh, you have a blue aura" when they "tell your fortune" and it be pink the next day. Just like personalities, auras should be more fluid. but thats my two cents

45 minutes ago, Hedgehug said:

At the end of this stage he or she is to find a user of the voidal arts

Rip shamans

4 minutes ago, Time Lady of Kittens said:

Aura colors can be severely effected by mood. Just as body temperature. Someone enraged may sweat more, or have a more "hot" colored aura (red is common here) where someone who is sad tends to be more cooled (such as in the blues).

I've not heard this mentioned before, and have always been lead to believe that aura is normally completely stagnant; it can change with magical alteration (shades and soul trees are mentioned in the post, and are the only two I know of), or with great personal change (severe mental illness, for example, or perhaps just a 'great event' in one's life). Aside from this, I have not heard of aura being so 'fluid' as you mention. Simply because this isn't frequently mentioned in other lore that references aura, I'd then advise that you may want to look into making lore to elaborate on aura, simple because other people have a more simply interpretation of it (one colour, produced naturally and more so when casting magic as mana is utilized).

Well spells and magic also produce aura due to their mana being burned and converted into aura. How come this wouldn't be able to see that, and thus be able to sense spells around them? Also I really don't like that aura color meaning list from the wiki, it's old and inaccurate in my opinion, maybe look up some aura meanings from IRL sources or something.

I do like the ability to be able to sense the aura of another person, but maybe this infringes a little bit on other things such as mental magic's ability to pick up on the current moods or emotions of other people? On top of that, would you be able to use this as a sort of way to 'gage' the power of a mage based on their excess amounts of aura seeping away from them?

Just now, Gladuos said:

Well spells and magic also produce aura due to their mana being burned and converted into aura. How come this wouldn't be able to see that, and thus be able to sense spells around them? Also I really don't like that aura color meaning list from the wiki, it's old and inaccurate in my opinion, maybe look up some aura meanings from IRL sources or something.

We could also do with some Lotc-specific lore on Aura. This lore is interesting, but I feel like we should flesh out our aura lore before we have people going around reading it and gleaning information from it.

The original lore before this, was centered around Spiritual Aura. Not magical. When you speak to people who believe in true auras, they will tell you auras are fluid. Hense why some people can "feel" the room closing in on them in a dark hallway. 

Ah, yes, I understand that - though in the current lore, it references aura as it is understood by LOTC magicians. Though it is different in the real world (as you say, beliefs are very different), LOTC doesn't currently have a form of aura that acts in that way. If aura was to become more like that, lore would have to be written for it - which again, I support, but currently nothing has been put forward as to these changes and how they would be made, and how they would make sense in LOTC.

Rip shades, evil characters, evil characters, greedy characters, etc.

48 minutes ago, Time Lady of Kittens said:

Aura colors can be severely effected by mood. Just as body temperature. Someone enraged may sweat more, or have a more "hot" colored aura (red is common here) where someone who is sad tends to be more cooled (such as in the blues). Color coordinating to archetype is a bit more -eh- to me. Think of more, an aura can change color. If I were to look at you one day and see your aura as warm, radiant, and green, it could be you just had a day visiting a fae ring or are just in overal good spirits. Where the next day your aura feels cold, distant and looks purple, you could have just stolen my bike or done something you're ashamed of. While each aura is unique, they also change and flow. An aura sensor could just say "Oh, you have a blue aura" when they "tell your fortune" and it be pink the next day. Just like personalities, auras should be more fluid. but thats my two cents

This is simply not how auras, specifically magical (which he is discussing here) work. Your aura color produced due to the burn off from spells or simply living is a constant unless serious life events occur. Aura does not change day to day and spiritual aura in LOTC largely does not exist. 

Aura colors = personalities list isn't old or outdated because it is just there to give people a stepping off point in case they were having trouble deciding their color. Meaning it does not usually define character mood or personality at all. 

The main trouble with this lore is it is it may lead to metagaming. Even though the type of metagaming it would be is unharmful, being able to read a persons mood or whatnot through their aura without consent is metagaming. ALSO everyone has an aura color attached to them. Both Mages and non-Mages. 

That bejng said the lore isn't bad. Doing more things with aura has been a goal of many people & a non-combative use would be nice. However 2 things.

1.) If this is accepted it would be a magical feat.

2.) My addition to Arcanism already includes a way to sense aura via consenting parties/interaction that includes a visible tell that sensing (or melding in my case) is going on.

Edit:

Also there was no "original aura lore" because I came was the one who actually wrote it down and Kalamoot assisted in creating the system in which it works. 

A couple more things. Unless an illusion specifically means to change ones aura color, which isn't really possible since you can't see it, their aura would be the same.

Also you cannot mask your aura. There is very little manipulation of aura that can happen if you aren't a shade.