[✗] The Agents of The Archaengul (Ascended Rewrite)

Old-Rattlesnake

1 minute ago, Valmir said:

So do Wraiths tho

No. They do not. They are corrupted.

Who was spoken to about clarifying the Soul of a Dark Shaman? Additionally, what effects do you believe this Magic could have on them? I'd like to discuss this in length.

28 minutes ago, Valmir said:

You forgot to write in if/how subjugated are effected and what'd happen to a 'split soul' Anti Mage too (a damaged soul subjugating a shadow soul). Otherwise, nice thread!

Ascended magic will be capable of disabling an anti-mage's abilities of any variety for up to a day, because Soulfire attacks the subjugated soul rather than the mage's actual soul. This is detailed in the Anti-Mage lore and I'm fine with that interpretation.

Just now, Master Sage Delaselva said:

Ascended magic will be capable of disabling an anti-mage's abilities of any variety for up to a day, because Soulfire attacks the subjugated soul rather than the mage's actual soul. This is detailed in the Anti-Mage lore and I'm fine with that interpretation.

Good to know!

So when you say rapturous soulfire "fervently seeks out any altered souls, attempting to connect with the physical structure of an entity and directly attack the metaphysical structure of their soul" does that mean an ascended can walk into a crowded city square, conjure up a bolt of soulfire in their hand, walk around so that it is within the arm's length range and it will attach to any character that meets the 3 corrupted soul criteria? What are the limits of this? How long does the comatose state last? Would a creature or being sustained by their soul alteration simply die because they are no longer connected to it? How does this function with afflictions, curses, and conditions previously considered un-removeable?

You mention "Sustained dark magic applied directly" can extinguish soulfire. Could you elaborate on this? Would a dark mage have to apply a damaging spell to themselves, or would the simple presence of the spell be enough to extinguish it? How would this function for dark creatures in some 'transcended' form, would their inherent dark presence have any effect on it, other than making it harder to ignite them if a weaker ascended?

Also I'm iffy on the "Demi-ascended" bit, considering the precedent set with holy and voidal magics.

Edit ALSO Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if I'm fighting an ascended, and they successfully cast soulfire on me, killing the ascended would do nothing to remove the soulfire? It will continue to burn on its own?

59 minutes ago, Smaw said:

Who was spoken to about clarifying the Soul of a Dark Shaman? Additionally, what effects do you believe this Magic could have on them? I'd like to discuss this in length.

Currently there are no intentions to have Dark Shamans be affected by Soulfire.

14 minutes ago, Master Sage Delaselva said:

Currently there are no intentions to have Dark Shamans be affected by Soulfire

This will suffice.

15 minutes ago, Camille said:

-snip-

I have a few issues which I'll address depending on the answer to these questions, but for the demi-ascended I'm assuming it's just the replacement for the silver sect (t1 ascended stuff + voidal).

1 hour ago, HB_ said:

Unless I'm blind, what would an Azdrazi/Nephilim come under?

let's not forget our soulless friends as well

And while I'm here, a good pal of mine had a critique that he wanted to post anonymously, so I'm helping him out with that

"See

They needed a rewrite, yes, because they needed modernizing 
By that I mean they needed to stop being outdated protagonists initially designed to curbstomp the undead of aegis
This rewrite is not modernization 
It just makes them slightly more differentiated from the other holies and shuffles things around

Mixes up an old and outdated formula instead of replacing it and modernizing it"  - [Redacted]

It's okay otherwise

43 minutes ago, Camille said:

1. So when you say rapturous soulfire "fervently seeks out any altered souls, attempting to connect with the physical structure of an entity and directly attack the metaphysical structure of their soul" does that mean an ascended can walk into a crowded city square, conjure up a bolt of soulfire in their hand, walk around so that it is within the arm's length range and it will attach to any character that meets the 3 corrupted soul criteria? What are the limits of this?

2. How long does the comatose state last? Would a creature or being sustained by their soul alteration simply die because they are no longer connected to it? How does this function with afflictions, curses, and conditions previously considered un-removeable?

3. You mention "Sustained dark magic applied directly" can extinguish soulfire. Could you elaborate on this? Would a dark mage have to apply a damaging spell to themselves, or would the simple presence of the spell be enough to extinguish it? How would this function for dark creatures in some 'transcended' form, would their inherent dark presence have any effect on it, other than making it harder to ignite them if a weaker ascended?

4. Also I'm iffy on the "Demi-ascended" bit, considering the precedent set with holy and voidal magics.

5. Edit ALSO Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if I'm fighting an ascended, and they successfully cast soulfire on me, killing the ascended would do nothing to remove the soulfire? It will continue to burn on its own?

1. Any soulfire must have directly impacted a being to begin affecting it. When we say it 'feverently seeks out any altered souls' we mean it does so after connecting with a being's physical structure, it doesn't home in on people.

2. The length of the coma depends on the strength of the warped creature. More powerful warped souls will take longer to be rendered comatose, and will be left in said coma for a shorter amount of time. That said, the Ascended can still continually apply Rapturous Soulfire to keep them under control. As a baseline, I'd wager ten minutes would acceptable. Curses and such are not affected by Soulfire, but may be absorbed unto the Ascended and gradually destroyed with Soul Mending. (Further elaborate what incurable afflictions you have in mind).

3. Presence of the spell will be sufficient. Life-draining the flame, casting shade magic on the flame, casting Frost Wtich magic on the flame, etc, will all extinguish it. Having a transcended dark form usually correlates with a higher strength dark creature, so they will be harder to ignite in that respect already. Ultimately the soul is still warped regardless of an altered physical form and will burn them the same as someone in a non-transformed state.

4. Ascended have always had a minor relationship with voidal magics. In our current write Silver Sect is the equivalent of the Demi-Ascended in all forms, so there isn't much of a change here besides a name.

5. That is correct for the rewrite and in the current lore. Once Soulfire connects, it feeds off of the altered soul until it is halted by dark magic, it fails to burn them away, or it burns them away.

let's not forget our soulless friends as well

Homunculi are no longer harmed by Ascended magic whatsoever, as they don't possess any iteration of a soul. Azdrazi fall under the same category as a regular soul, as their soul has been 'reformed' into something else entirely rather than been warped.

I must say, I enjoyed reading this and I hope the Ascended and Undead alike become an active and powerful force in their own right once again.

I'm a fan of this recent turning with divine and dark magic focusing on souls and the nature of mortals, etc....  While mayhaps a "dark souls-y" I think it really helps streamline lore opposed to just existing as separate pockets of disconnected lore as well as establish an actual theme and tone for the server overall.  We were getting a bit too fractured there for a bit.

27 minutes ago, Master Sage Delaselva said:

2. The length of the coma depends on the strength of the warped creature. More powerful warped souls will take longer to be rendered comatose, and will be left in said coma for a shorter amount of time. That said, the Ascended can still continually apply Rapturous Soulfire to keep them under control. As a baseline, I'd wager ten minutes would acceptable. Curses and such are not affected by Soulfire, but may be absorbed unto the Ascended and gradually destroyed with Soul Mending. (Further elaborate what incurable afflictions you have in mind).

So could an ascended in theory continuously keep a dark being in a coma without killing them by applying the fire? Or is this just in the case of attempting to kill them? Your mentioning of curses being unaffected by soulfire  is confusing since the soulfire apparently  remove/weaken "any boons gifted by their Warped Soul will steadily weaken." This is mostly me speaking as fwitch lore holder (esp in regards to incurable afflictions) so I suppose a specific private conversation on that might be in order? You can ask leric for my skype if you'd like.

From what this seems like, though I may misread, but this seems worse than the prior Holy Magics. Now, it targets all changed souls? Camille explained this better than I did, but this seems like making the magic more broad with the ability to target beings with altered souls rather than those who have been tainted.  I recognize that this was written  a whiles ago, though I'm somewhat worried on the effect this has on any group or people's who seek to challenge the Agents of the Archaengul. From what I've seen, they don't have any weakness, due to immortality and their magics affecting almost anything that could pose a threat. How would the Undead or other groups combat such a force?  I recognize that they are Ascended given power from an Archaengul, but all magic should have some cost or weakness.