[✗] Motus Constructs, Slaves of The Old Religion

drfate786

Two main questions in terms of its upsides and downsides, why do holy magics have any special effect on it? If they're voidally based, there wouldn't be any inherently dark, corrupted nature to it, given there is no tainted magic or soul present. Furthermore, why do all dark arts seem to have no effect? A necromancer, I can see, but a shade should be able to simply produce tendrils and tear through it, or a dark shaman able to open a rift in the earth and crush it, yes?

Just now, Fitermon said:

Two main questions in terms of its upsides and downsides, why do holy magics have any special effect on it? If they're voidally based, there wouldn't be any inherently dark, corrupted nature to it, given there is no tainted magic or soul present. Furthermore, why do all dark arts seem to have no effect? A necromancer, I can see, but a shade should be able to simply produce tendrils and tear through it, or a dark shaman able to open a rift in the earth and crush it, yes?

Yeah, when I mean dark magic I purely mean things such as necromancy and soul puppetry. Any magic that has a physical effect would definitely work. 

So yes, a dark shaman can open a rift in the earth and crush it and a shade can produce dark tendrils to tear through it. The only dark arts that cannot and will not work on motus constructs are the ones that purely effect quintessences. For example, if a necromancer tried to drain a motus construct he would obviously fail. If a necromancer raised some ghouls and sicked them on a motus construct, the ghouls could possibly destroy the motus construct in a fair fight. Basically, anything physical can destroy a motus construct.

The reason why holy magics have a special effect on motus constructs is due to the manifestation of consciousness. While no 'soul' is present, something akin to one has formed. This fabricated presence is unnatural and can thus be destroyed by the holy arts, especially since the fabricated presence wants to die. This is in no way a soul, but it is similar to the soul shadows that inhabit ghouls.

In other words, motus constructs are an affront to creation and can be destroyed by the holy arts like any other form of 'false' life. It is possible to create motus constructs that lack a true command core but these constructs would be impossible to control, they'd be like us in every way save for the ability to love. This lack of love and compassion would ultimately force it to die, either by our hands or its own. 

Edit:

There's also a balancing reason behind their weakness to holy magic. Without this weakness they'd be very hard to destroy in events, it would simply be too OP in the right hands. This creates some measure of balance and so do the other weaknesses. 

2 hours ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

I do have one question, what is the titular "Old Religion"?

The old religion is a religion that believes in ascendance, it foretells the end of the mathic cycle through the destruction of the natural order. This is done through a process known as the 'purification of flesh', the motus constructs are an example of what this entails. In other words, the crimson cult and in turn, the old religion, wish to turn the world into a clockwork machine so their unborn god can be created. I haven't developed any significant lore on the old religion but it will be similar to the church of the broken god from the SCP universe. 

48 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

The reason why holy magics have a special effect on motus constructs is due to the manifestation of consciousness. While no 'soul' is present, something akin to one has formed. This fabricated presence is unnatural and can thus be destroyed by the holy arts, especially since the fabricated presence wants to die. This is in no way a soul, but it is similar to the soul shadows that inhabit ghouls.

In other words, motus constructs are an affront to creation and can be destroyed by the holy arts like any other form of 'false' life. It is possible to create motus constructs that lack a true command core but these constructs would be impossible to control, they'd be like us in every way save for the ability to love. This lack of love and compassion would ultimately force it to die, either by our hands or its own. 

Then the same would have to be argued for atronachs, or golems, or various other creatures that gain some level of consciousness, yes? If they'd be too strong without this, then think of some other way to balance it out, but don't just make ones that honestly wouldn't make much sense.

Just now, Fitermon said:

Then the same would have to be argued for atronachs, or golems, or various other creatures that gain some level of consciousness, yes? If they'd be too strong without this, then think of some other way to balance it out, but don't just make ones that honestly wouldn't make much sense.

It does make some measure of sense, I'm actually surprised that soulbind golems don't have this weakness. Thanhic golems and atronarchs don't have consciousness, they're just computers in a sense. Only soulbind golems can have a 'consciousness' but this fades quickly upon creation as the soul that is used is stripped of its individuality. 

These constructs lack souls but have a form of consciousness, unlike soulbind golems they're not painfully compelled to do what they're asked but rather lose control of their motor functions. If I told it to kill someone, they don't feel pain, their bodies simply do it. I would also like to add that this consciousness is corrupted in nature, it's not natural. 

1 minute ago, drfate786 said:

It does make some measure of sense, I'm actually surprised that soulbind golems don't have this weakness. Thanhic golems and atronarchs don't have consciousness, they're just computers in a sense. Only soulbind golems can have a 'consciousness' but this fades quickly upon creation as the soul that is used is stripped of its individuality. 

These constructs lack souls but have a form of consciousness, unlike soulbind golems they're not painfully compelled to do what they're asked but rather lose control of their motor functions. If I told it to kill someone, they don't feel pain, their bodies simply do it. I would also like to add that this consciousness is corrupted in nature, it's not natural. 

They do have consciousness now, or at least atronachs do to avoid making them too boring and robotic to play. They still have to obey, but are more sentient.

On 2/26/2017 at 9:31 PM, Fitermon said:

They do have consciousness now, or at least atronachs do to avoid making them too boring and robotic to play. They still have to obey, but are more sentient.

Either way, their creation is entirely different. Motus constructs are mostly voidal but still consist of bones in their making, the bones and mixture used in their creation grants them an impurity which makes them conscious. This is an impurity and holy magic will shatter it, it's unnatural and simply shouldn't exist in the natural order. 

I haven't read the atronarch lore but their consciousness is nothing like a motus construct's. 

This lore is denied, it seems like a mix of the current constructs we have and is fairly unbalanced in terms of being able to produce a large army. That and a number of things like the runes and how these produce mana just doesn't make sense.

This Lore has been denied. Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.