The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Wrynn

Reviewing Tutorial Island

Tutorial Island  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been to tutorial island?

• Yes
    • No (If ‘no’, please take a visit to Tutorial Island and then answer the following questions)
  2. 2. Is a ‘Tutorial Island’ necessarily needed?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you feel that Tutorial Island is informative?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Is Tutorial Island representative of the server’s build quality?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Is Tutorial Island easy to follow?

• Yes
    • No

17 posts in this topic

cCFffn5.png

Hey guys! A few people have come to me and have suggested that our current Tutorial Island isn’t perhaps the best out of previous editions and I’d like to know why. The island is one of the first things that new players come too and it’s a good guide for other players too. I’d ideally like to see your thoughts on the island and improve it according to any feedback that comes in! If you also have any suggestions you’d like to add be sure to comment below on how I could perhaps improve it.

That’s all, and be sure to answer the poll above c:

I just made the island a while ago. This was fast.

Honestly, while informative, I don't think its done right(No offense to those who put time and effort into it, good work/try to you). I find that while walking through tutorial island there is too much to go through at the start which can make it rather overwhelming for players visiting(mostly new ones). Its really all thrown onto one island in which the start(after the lift) is clutter with NPC to click and read their text. This makes it feel like it's not a quick tutorial to help get down the basics- I can see this causing people to get bored and try start adventuring or just be overall turned off if they do go there. Even I, as a six year veteran felt a a bit overwhelmed being at this island.

What I think people need, is the barebone basics. How to use our roleplay chat system. I feel like LoTC is the place where you learn different stuff over time, as you need to know it. By knowing the chat system, it becomes easier to communicate and talk with other players in which when you want to know something you can usually ask someone(There is always someone that will explain whatever you want to know- doesn't have to be a GM).

However, I think a neat idea would be really split up the island. Have the very first place someone goes when arriving- is just teaching the very basics and then have carts near this cart- or carts with island that people can optionally pick if they wish to know something and for some reason cannot find anyone to explain it to them(hopefully this makes sense).

Though, nothing beats the good old getting someone to take the time to sit down with you and teach you what you need to know. Feels good when someone takes the time to do that.

PS, if needed I can explain my ramblings. Just ask!

As was previously said I got overwhelmed going there and I already knew most of the information. I personally would like to see the nexus skill npcs removed because really they aren't needed to use the skills or understand them. I actually spent probably my first 4 months on lotc just screwing around with nexus and feel I learned better that way.

Another way that might help as well is spreading out in the information npcs some cause they just sort of gang up on you. There's also a few player iniatives or however you spell it that the AT have. Why not have those groups have a representative on the island?

Where is the "Sort of" button for the last vote.

Way to cluttered and not at all linear, which makes it very susceptible to causing players (new players especially) to become lost and confused, it is also simply assumed that the players are to know to right click the NPCs (remember, never make assumptions when it comes to tutoirals). I probably have other thoughts on it, but for now I don't.

Too scattered and the exit is difficult to find. Scrap what we have and make a more linear tutorial.

This is more of a minor thing, but not all of the races are represented by the NPCs on the island. 

Seems like all the dialogue is just an out put of the Nexus help menu, and it doesn't really do s lot to tell you about the neuancies of Nexus or the server. It would be nice if the tutorial dialogue would be more conversationally and less info dumpy.

Also you get on the cart, which takes you to a boat and then let's you off on a platform. If you go back on it boat, it let's you out at the front of the cloud Temple. That's clearly just bad port making, as you can even still see where the old boat was over next to the asul boats by the flying invisible armor stand text thing that is still there. 

Looks like people already said what I wanted to say, so I'll just sum it up.

Too scattered, each NPC spams your chatbox which is a pain, and I feel like there should be a bit less nexus and a bit more RP just because the emoting plugin is hard to figure out on your own.

Tutorial islands have always been utterly pointless on lotc

I loved the island. My main points of critique would be that there are a few too many paths to wander off on and sort of get lost with and far too few signs for direction for when one inevitably does get lost so that they can get back on track, as well as the location of the boat. 

The boat for tutorial island should be a big freaking airship in front of the cloud temple when the newby walks out in the first place that has a big neon sign that says "THIS WAY FOR FREE ****". Then, they unwittingly get on the boat and are greeted with signs saying that they get a starter kit when they complete tutorial island's journey. Then, give them a freaking starter kit. Some basic stuff to get a foot in the door. And it should all be soul bound so that jerkoff's can't PVP Default them or shake them down or something. 

My theory is this will greatly enhance player understanding and retention of new players. 

+1 if you think this is a good idea. 

+1 if you think it's a trash idea. 

+1 anyway. 

37 minutes ago, Morganosaurus Rex said:

Tutorial Island.

A.K.A Nexus Tutorial

I just went around it seeing

"THIS IS FARMER"
"THIS IS ENCHANTER"
"THIS IS WOODWORKER"

Agreed, it makes new players think that they've signed up to play some weird MMO instead of a roleplaying server 

7 hours ago, iMattyz said:

Tutorial islands have always been utterly pointless on lotc

"hey come to this island to leanr COOLL mechaniac... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA