[✗] [Creature] The Shapeshifter

Its_Just_Leap

3 minutes ago, Leap1Games said:

That they are, it would be really bad for that not to be the case. The process of becoming a shapeshifter places the user in a sort of "limbo" state with their aging, their aging process halts due to the creation. Meaning they could in theory live forever. However most wouldn't.

To further on the first question, can they partially shapeshift? IE, give themselves temporary horns, black eyes.. Tentacles.. etc. You know, can they turn into whatever the heck they want provided that they have the DNA? Also, are they unable to shapeshift into certain creatures? What if they obtained dragon DNA?

Edited by drfate786

2 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

To further on the first question, can they partially shapeshift? IE, give themselves temporary horns, black eyes.. Tentacles.. etc. You know, can they turn into whatever the heck they want provided that they have the DNA? Also, are they unable to shapeshift into certain creatures? What if they obtained dragon DNA?

Partially shapeshifting is a no go. This would cause problems as they could do something like be in their true form and have something like wings. This causes too many issues.

And with the question about shifting into a dragon, this is a definite no. This is due to the fact that dragons can only be played by an ET member. The redlines state that you may not transform into creature that requires a CA. Just in case you planned on asking.

3 minutes ago, Leap1Games said:

Partially shapeshifting is a no go. This would cause problems as they could do something like be in their true form and have something like wings. This causes too many issues.

And with the question about shifting into a dragon, this is a definite no. This is due to the fact that dragons can only be played by an ET member. The redlines state that you may not transform into creature that requires a CA. Just in case you planned on asking.

What's the lore reason for not being able to shapeshift into a dragon? There has to be a lore reason behind it, same goes for being unable to partially shapeshift. Why would they even have a true form? Shouldn't they lose a "true form" upon becoming a shapeshifter and be condemned to taking whatever shape they can? Why not just make it so that they have to consume an animal or person in order to maintain a certain form or they devolve into a hideous mass of flesh and tendrils through hideous and uncontrolled mutations? If you've ever heard of the dragonkin abomination from runescape you should look it up.

Edited by drfate786

22 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

What's the lore reason for not being able to shapeshift into a dragon? There has to be a lore reason behind it, same goes for being unable to partially shapeshift. Why would they even have a true form? Shouldn't they lose a "true form" upon becoming a shapeshifter and be condemned to taking whatever shape they can? Why not just make it so that they have to consume an animal or person in order to maintain a certain form or they devolve into a hideous mass of flesh and tendrils through hideous and uncontrolled mutations? If you've ever heard of the dragonkin abomination from runescape you should look it up.

maybe because it is possible icly but lt don't want players shifting into that oocly due to conflicts? also +1 for this piece of lore

I'm really missing the point of this magic, what exactly is it gonna do to assist the shapeshifter? You can now turn into animals and fly away or something? Might as well just try to make skinwalkers a playable creature lol.

I feel more or less indifferent to the lore proposed here, with a few exceptions. Overall, I support the effort that was put into this and I like seeing people happy, so I hope things go well and you keep working until it's accepted.

Anyway, so my concerns.

I feel like the strength increase is a little wonky. Maybe they should, y'know, be as strong as they appear, capping at a certain point. Saying that they're stronger than a normal human in their 'true' form in addition to their ability to change forms at will makes it seem too powerful, like the writer's putting a little too much love into their creation.

Additionally, the magic. Same as above; They can already change forms. Their soul is all wiggly and squishy. They're also altered. Magic at all would probably be very dangerous or at least difficult for them, not just deific magic.

and finally

if you want your lore accepted, don't name them shapeshifters

Shapeshifters already exist, not just in theory but by that very name. I'd propose that you name them Changelings, or something similar. Y'know, like the ones from Eberron:

http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Changeling

14 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

I feel like the strength increase is a little wonky. Maybe they should, y'know, be as strong as they appear, capping at a certain point. Saying that they're stronger than a normal human in their 'true' form in addition to their ability to change forms at will makes it seem too powerful, like the writer's putting a little too much love into their creation.

I see your point, and after a bit of brainstorming I propose that we could go with my original plan and have the creature be possibly twice as vulnerable to their weaknesses while they are in their true form. I do not wish for this creature to be unbalanced in the slightest, though I did put a lot of love into writing the lore I want this creature to be fair in their roleplay.

17 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

Additionally, the magic. Same as above; They can already change forms. Their soul is all wiggly and squishy. They're also altered. Magic at all would probably be very dangerous or at least difficult for them, not just deific magic.

Many creatures have their souls malformed and are still able to use magic. Such is the case for frost witches for example.

21 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

if you want your lore accepted, don't name them shapeshifters

Shapeshifters already exist, not just in theory but by that very name. I'd propose that you name them Changelings, or something similar. Y'know, like the ones from Eberron:

Sure, they can be called something else if need be.

Maybe as a nutty spell someone can cast but, and I know that I play a 'shapeshifter', but I think we're rapidly approaching 'too many shape shifters' with this addition. 

It's kind of like suggesting a new kind of ghastly animate armor or another vaguely thin pointy eared folk with a new skin color.

12 minutes ago, zaezae said:

Maybe as a nutty spell someone can cast but, and I know that I play a 'shapeshifter', but I think we're rapidly approaching 'too many shape shifters' with this addition. 

It's kind of like suggesting a new kind of ghastly animate armor or another vaguely thin pointy eared folk with a new skin color.

As far as I know the druidic shapeshifters (which as far as I know are the only things called shapeshifters) may only turn into one animal as far as I know though I could be very wrong.

Hi, i'm here to defend the Izkuthii and some claims you have made without knowing the lore at all

No, Izkuthii are not limited in what they can transform into.

Literally, I've seen one transform into a literal ******* marshmellow girl, and into a dog, and into stuff like that.

Some druids I believe, Izkuthii, Frost Witches, and even mages can accomplish morphing & disguises. This is not going to be original, or new.

1 hour ago, Kinslayer said:

Hi, i'm here to defend the Izkuthii and some claims you have made without knowing the lore at all

Alright Kinslayer I don't know what your problem is, but you're not "defending" the Izkuthii as they aren't in literal danger her so calm down there trigger.

1 hour ago, Kinslayer said:

No, Izkuthii are not limited in what they can transform into.

They do not become the literal thing they transform into, what you see the Izkuthii transform into is Illusionary magic, and not to mention they cannot transform physically into anything smaller or larger than themselves. Only make the appearance look this way. For example if I swung a sword in the general direction an Izkuthii would be if they weren't using the illusion magic it would hit them and break said illusion.

2 hours ago, Kinslayer said:

Literally, I've seen one transform into a literal ******* marshmellow girl, and into a dog, and into stuff like that.

you saw an illusion, not them actually becoming a dog or marshmellow girl.

2 hours ago, Kinslayer said:

Some druids I believe, Izkuthii, Frost Witches, and even mages can accomplish morphing & disguises. This is not going to be original, or new.

druids are the only ones who can become a physical animal, and it is only one specific animal. Frost Witches are limited in changing their form to look non witchy. Please next time don't use profanity as I and everyone else who commented is acting civil so should you.

Just now, Leap1Games said:

you saw an illusion, not them actually becoming a dog or marshmellow girl.

That still doesn't mean they don't feel, act, and disguise as one. They are literally shapeshifters in this regard.

You realize what illusion is on this server, right?

2 minutes ago, Kinslayer said:

That still doesn't mean they don't feel, act, and disguise as one. They are literally shapeshifters in this regard.

You realize what illusion is on this server, right?

I clearly do seeing as I have T3 in Sensory Illusion. . . You don't seem to understand that whatever the Shapeshifter creature I propose turns into, whether it be dog, cat, bird, etc. Won't be an illusion and will be the physical animal, and not the product of a magic that can be easily broken if you see through the illusion.

6 minutes ago, Leap1Games said:

I clearly do seeing as I have T3 in Sensory Illusion. . . You don't seem to understand that whatever the Shapeshifter creature I propose turns into, whether it be dog, cat, bird, etc. Won't be an illusion and will be the physical animal, and not the product of a magic that can be easily broken if you see through the illusion.

You don't seem to understand your own magic though. That is sensory illusion, yes. But this is a different type of illusion, this is literal transformation using illusion and disguise. You are going to be copying this magic basically, just because you 'really are it' doesn't mean its something new. You cannot break an Izkuthii's illusion just by 'seeing through their disguise'. 

https://wikia.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Izkuthii

Compared to:

"They must know exactly how their Illusion will sound, smell, feel, or appear. It is because of this that Illusionists must experience their own Illusions. If they choose to summon a tangle of snakes, they must have seen with their own eyes, ear, hands, and nose that tangle of snakes in the physical world. Due to this factor, it is extremely rare to find an Illusionists who can produce something like an ear bleeding shreek, because if an Illusionists experienced that noise in the physical world, they would most likely be deaf. After the step of creating the Illusion in their mind, next comes the step of actually making the Illusion come to be. Unlike the other sub-types though, an Illusionist almost entirely skips the step of drawing the Illusion from their mind and into the physical world. Once the Illusion is imagined within the Illusionist’s mind they must simply have the Illusion take place within the minds they choose. This is when the use of mana for Illusion comes in. By using their own mana to intermingle with that of their choosing (With or without the other person(s) knowing) they can reproduce this Illusion which is already within their own minds into the minds of others."

https://wikia.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Sensory_Illusion