VonEbs

Counting of Elves (Results!)

Elven Census 2019 Results

I realize I am likely in the minority in being intimately familiar with polls, polling reports, etc, but I though I would present the results from the survey I posted in a format resembling a polling report. Some notes before we get to the results: this is not a true scientific poll, as it was not conducted by telephone using random selection from the population, which in this case, is elven players on LotC. The n (sample size) is 110, which I feel is sufficiently high to be able to tell us something about the elves on LotC, but bear in mind that as with any survey, there is a margin of error in results, especially in so called crosstabs, and that it is possible and even likely that the sample does not match the population exactly or even particularly closely. Forum usage is down from previous years, and some nations clearly encouraged their players to fill out the survey while others might not have. Now, to the results!

That the elves are extremely divided right now is what I expected going in to this survey, and indeed, no nation accounts for much more than a quarter of respondents. 73% of respondents live the main political jurisdictions (Princedom of Fenn, Kingdom of Gladewynn, Silver State of Haelun’or and Principality of Aegrothond, in that order) and the rest are split between the Druid’s Grove and elsewhere on Atlas. Similarly, there is great diversity in subraces, with High Elves, Wood Elves and Snow Elves making up over three quarters of the elven playerbase, with the third traditional subrace, the Dark Elves, lagging behind, likely due to their current situation in roleplay. Satisfaction with elven roleplay as a whole is tepid, with only 36% of respondents responding that they are satisfied with the current state of elven RP. Support for more cooperation between the various elven factions is something that most respondents agreed on, with 68% wanting more cooperation in roleplay, with high support across almost all demographics. Additionally, a majority (57%) of elven players do not feel as if there is a shared elven identity on LotC at present, with only 15% feeling that there is one. Full results and additional crosstabs can be found below. Note: Not all percentages will add up to 100% due to rounding.

At the end of the survey, there was an open ended question as to what players want to see with elven RP looking ahead in 7.0. There were a lot of different threads in the responses, with a fair number of respondents expressing a desire to see elves unified into a single nation, and, conversely, those who wish to maintain the current level of diversity and separation. The most common response was a desire for there to be less animosity and ooc fighting among the various factions, as many respondents feel as if the current environment for elven rp is extremely toxic due to in game conflicts becoming more personal out of character than they should. Several players expressed desire to see joint/all elf events as well as additional lore/storyline events for the elves. If requested, I can make the full comments and date available over PM. I want to again thank everyone who participated and I hope that you all find the results as interesting as I did.

Captureelves.png

Captureelves1.png

Edited by VonEbs

10/10

Interesting stuff. I would hope that it could provoke a mature dialogue on the state of Elven politics and rp.

If you want to be a happy, satisfied high elf, you know where to go...

… unless you want to co-operate. Then it’s sort of up in the air.

Dark elves need more love, though, that’s for sure. This is what happens when you take away their katanas.

50 minutes ago, Catostrophy said:

If you want to be a happy, satisfied high elf, you know where to go...

… unless you want to co-operate. Then it’s sort of up in the air.

Dark elves need more love, though, that’s for sure. This is what happens when you take away their katanas.

soulstrung is reviving the dark elves, discord of the “confederation of mali’ker” alrdy has around 50 members, so it seems promising. 

Interesting how Fenn is now the plurality of elf players – a testament to the power of perseverance, I guess. I still remember when they got genocided in the Fringe, and the no-show warclaims in Vailor.

13 hours ago, Pond said:

soulstrung is reviving the dark elves, discord of the “confederation of mali’ker” alrdy has around 50 members, so it seems promising. 

do you guys have a discord? hmu

i’m braindead, but can i still join

Edited by xxx

Interesting business, and definitely a measure of improvement to be made overall. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

First I would like to thank @VonEbs for organising this census and having the results presented in such a good way. I have always enjoyed discussion on the greater Elven racial well-being and future. I think there are some very interesting things to take from the census, and I would like to poke at a few particular points made in the thread above. I have had plenty of discussion about this with different Elven profiles these last months.

It isn’t surprising to see people talk about an unified Elven state – they have done that forever – I have done that forever. There has almost always been at least 1 multi-racial Elven state project like Malinor and the Dominion of Malin in the realm, but they have never succeeded. While sometimes, the failure was likely caused by poor leadership or the rare occasion that the Haelun’or leader was competent, I think we can agree that the overarching reason why it fails is different. Elves are not ONE people. 

Unless you water down all the different cultures that the Elves possess, creating a harmonious (emphasis on harmonious here) Elven multi-racial state is impossible, and some people do not want to water down their cultures. I would argue that the [subracial] cultures are what makes Elven RP interesting to begin with. Without Druidic, Mali’fenn, Mali’ame, Mali’ker or Mali’thill culture, Elves have just been pointy-eared Humans. The only Elven non-multi-racial state has the highest satisfaction among their players, if we go off of the census. To me, that is evidence that there is interest in High Elven culture and the strengthening of it, rather than watering it down to be able to live with other races and I will therefore continue my work in doing so.

This doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t cooperate, no in fact, we should, but not to the cost of the cultures. I therefore have opposed and will do so in the future, all attempts at creating Elven states which relegates the subraces into districts, parts of a larger Elven city, as Caras Eldar does. High Elven RP cannot properly function if we have to share our tavern with Druids, Snow Elves or some interbred half-elf-half-orc – it just isn’t going to stay harmonious for long. 

My solution has always been to have properly sovereign and segregated settlements after culture and race, but who cooperate and assist each other in an overarching Council structure, where all Elven races have equal say. Dimaethor Visaj calls it the ‘one-race-one-state’-policy. 

Love to continue this discussion. I am Ankan#7215 on Discord if anyone has anything they would rather say privately.

2 hours ago, xxx said:

Interesting how Fenn is now the plurality of elf players – a testament to the power of perseverance, I guess. I still remember when they got genocided in the Fringe, and the no-show warclaims in Vailor.

do you guys have a discord? hmu

Some playerbases did not respond to this census as much as others. I know for a fact that this is the case, because some elven nations did not put this in their announcements chat and did not ask people to respond to it, whilst some nations did. This census is biased toward those who actually asked for their playerbases to respond. @VonEbs Can we have the numbers? Let's see how many people responded for each nation.

I get the impression that this is not a very rigorous representation of the state of things. I’ve been in many Elven chats, and not once has anyone posted this. Hell, I didn’t even know it existed. Naturally, since Discord is the main way these things spread in lieu of continuous forum posts, the results are naturally going to be unrepresentative.

I think if you took a random slice of 100 Elven players on lotc and made them fill the same thing without any promotion antics, the results would be a lot different. We need the absolute numbers as well, as it could well be 20 players filling this out.

On the other hand it could be perfectly correct and it could just be my anti-Snelven and Helven bias is knifing me in the arse.

>no subrace - 7%

what

>"other subrace" - 5%

what the ****

Edited by Ford

7 hours ago, iMattyz said:

I get the impression that this is not a very rigorous representation of the state of things. I’ve been in many Elven chats, and not once has anyone posted this. Hell, I didn’t even know it existed. Naturally, since Discord is the main way these things spread in lieu of continuous forum posts, the results are naturally going to be unrepresentative.

I think if you took a random slice of 100 Elven players on lotc and made them fill the same thing without any promotion antics, the results would be a lot different. We need the absolute numbers as well, as it could well be 20 players filling this out.

On the other hand it could be perfectly correct and it could just be my anti-Snelven and Helven bias is knifing me in the arse.

I talked to Ebs last night on discord. Full disclosure, we are brothers. Anyway, he was telling me that he was disappointed that Gladwynn did not attempt to participate in the polling. He sent it to them to post in their announcement chats but they were apathetic to any polling. You might have to talk to him about better ways to reach out in the future. I am not that educated on Elven politics or the make up of the factions.

100 players does seem to be a lot of players to survey though, and if you compare to academic studies, is a march larger percentage of the population then a regular study looks at. A stats class in college suggests normally about 1000 people to represent even more then a million for an accurate showing of the spread of points on a graph. I barely passed stats 190 though, so take what I say for nothing.

The bias seems to be mostly pro Snelven and Helven instead of anti, so I am not sure about your nomenclature you used. They represent much higher happiness and contentment with their premium roleplay experience then the other groups, albeit missing the information of Gladewynn. Maybe instead of complaining you could suggest something productive, perhaps poll your own playerbase to see how they feel, instead of trying to write off results that do not agree with your worldview.